Have I proved this obvious fact correctly? (Real Analysis)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question proposed about the Riemann-Stieltjes integral in chapter 6 of "Baby Rudin." The question asks if there is a positive real number η for any given ε, such that |x|η<ε for all real numbers x. The solution proposed involves assuming that such an η does not exist, leading to a contradiction. However, a counterexample is provided that shows the statement is false.
Arian.D

Homework Statement

It's not a HW problem. I was reading baby Rudin, in chapter 6 when it talks about Riemann–Stieltjes integral, it claims that given ε>0, we could choose η>0 such that (α(b)-α(a))η<ε. I wonder why it is true. I proposed this question to myself:

Suppose that ε>0 is an arbitrarily given number. Is there a positive real number η such that for every real x we have: |x|η<ε?

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is this: Suppose that such an η>0 doesn't exist. Therefore there exists a real number r such that for any η>0 we have: |r|η ≥ ε. Since η is now arbitrary, let's set η=1. we'll have 0<ε<|r|, but this restricts ε and that is in contradiction with the hypothesis that ε is arbitrarily given. (for example we could set ε=|r|+1 and that fails for sure).

Physics news on Phys.org
Arian.D said:

Homework Statement

It's not a HW problem. I was reading baby Rudin, in chapter 6 when it talks about Riemann–Stieltjes integral, it claims that given ε>0, we could choose η>0 such that (α(b)-α(a))η<ε. I wonder why it is true. I proposed this question to myself:

Suppose that ε>0 is an arbitrarily given number. Is there a positive real number η such that for every real x we have: |x|η<ε?

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is this: Suppose that such an η>0 doesn't exist. Therefore there exists a real number r such that for any η>0 we have: |r|η ≥ ε.

I don't think that follows. Just do this: Given ##\eta## and ##\epsilon##, pick ##x>\frac \epsilon \eta##, which shows the statement is false.

1. How can I be sure that my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, you should carefully check each step and make sure it logically follows from the previous ones. You can also ask a colleague or your professor to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, referencing established theorems and definitions can strengthen the validity of your proof.

2. Can I use different methods to prove the same fact?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to prove a fact in real analysis. It is important to choose a method that is clear and concise, and that best fits the problem at hand.

3. What if my proof seems too simple or obvious?

Even if a fact seems obvious, it still needs to be proven rigorously using logical steps. Don't be discouraged by a simple proof - it can still be valid and insightful.

4. How do I know which definitions and theorems to use in my proof?

You should have a thorough understanding of the definitions and theorems relevant to the problem you are trying to prove. Make sure to carefully read and analyze the problem before deciding which concepts to use in your proof.

5. What if I get stuck or can't seem to prove the fact?

If you are having trouble proving a fact, try breaking it down into smaller steps or approaching it from a different angle. You can also seek assistance from your professor or classmates for guidance and support.