Theory of quadratic equations

In summary, the question is about proving an incorrect equation from Hall & Knight's theory of quadratic equations. The person attempting to solve the problem introduces a proportionality constant and uses Vieta's theorem to find the values of p and q. However, the equation is incorrect and the person suggests proving the trivial case instead.
Vishalrox
theory of quadratic equations...

theres a quadratic equation lx^2 + nx + n where its roots are in the ratio p:q .we need to prove that
√(p/q) + √(q/p) + √(n/l) = 0

what i did was..i introduced a proportionality constant k... so pk + qk = -(n/l)
while pq(k^2) = n/l ...solved these two equations and got the value of k as -(p+q)/pq...
and i substituted..i got the roots of the equation in terms of p and q...i got the value of n/l = ((p+q)^2)/pq...coming to the equation which we need to prove...i squared the whole Left Hand Side...expanded it...and substituting whatever i got...i got..4((p+q)^2)/pq...i.e.,i got 4(n/l)...so now we got to prove that 4(n\l) is 0...but if 4(n\l) = 0 then n/l will be 0...which in turn accounts for n = 0...which lands us into a trivial case...all roots and all other coefficients other than leading coefficient (l) to be 0...but i don't think that would be the right way to solve this problem...can anyone help me on this on a different method...?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Did you ever try actually solving the equation for its roots p and q?

There is something wrong in what you are trying to prove. It should be [itex]-\sqrt{n/l}[/itex], because if all positive, it means all the square root terms should be individually zero, which isn't possible.

Simply reduce the expression you are trying to prove,

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{p}{q}} + \sqrt{\frac{q}{p}} - \sqrt{\frac{n}{l}}[/tex]

Is equal to,

[tex]\frac{p+q}{\sqrt{pq}} - \sqrt{\frac{n}{l}}[/tex]

Use n/l from the Vieta formula and that should give you your result.

The question was from Hall & Knight...i know the problem is wrong...so we have to prove the trivial case...so i did it...everything i did...i did using Vieta's theorem...

Millennial said:
Did you ever try actually solving the equation for its roots p and q?

I found the values of p and q...as i found the value k...and by the way p and q are not the roots...only pk and qk are the roots which i found...

What is the theory of quadratic equations?

The theory of quadratic equations is a mathematical concept that deals with equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It involves understanding the properties and solutions of these types of equations.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to find the solutions to a quadratic equation. It is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

What are the different types of solutions to a quadratic equation?

There are three types of solutions to a quadratic equation: two real solutions, one real solution, and two complex solutions. The type of solution depends on the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, of the equation.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the value b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the type of solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are two complex solutions.

How is the theory of quadratic equations used in real life?

The theory of quadratic equations has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to solve problems involving motion, optimization, and financial modeling. It is also used in computer graphics and game development.