How to randomize sets in math equations ?

• Thread starter littlestudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of randomizing a set and the proper notation for representing a set of numbers. The speakers are trying to clarify the meaning of F={(1.2.3.4.5.6)} and whether it is the same as F={1,2,3,4,5,6}. They also discuss the idea of "randomizing" a set and clarify that sets do not have a specific order.
littlestudent
for example i have this :
F={1,2,3,4,5}
so F=1,2,3,4,5
but how to randomize the set ?
i want to say F=5,3,4,2,1 or 2,3,1,4,5 or ...

do i have to say like this? :
F=(1)/(2)/(3)/(4)/(5)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some more information could be helpful. Why do you want to "randomize" things?? What is it you're trying to do?

i want to explain 2 Dice=F
the F is random of this set : {1,2,3,4,5,6}
what is the right way to say it ?
is this right ?
F={(1.2.3.4.5.6)} ?

Then all you're saying is that the roll of a die is a random variable that can take on values from 1 to 6.

so F={(1.2.3.4.5.6)} is the right format to say that ?
the "." do the random explanation ?

littlestudent said:
so F={(1.2.3.4.5.6)} is the right format to say that ?
the "." do the random explanation ?
A set, like {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}, has no specific order. Neither does it imply anything about relative probabilities. A probability space is more than just the set of possibilities. If you mean them to be equally likely you should say so.
Btw 'random' does not mean equally likely. It just means not deterministic.

ok so F={1,2,3,4,5,6} is same as F={(1.2.3.4.5.6)} ?

update: let me correct myself. so if F={1,2,3} then F can equal (123) or (132) or (213) or ... right ?

Last edited:
littlestudent said:

No, it's not the same. Furthermore, I have not a single idea what you mean with that second notation.

What are you trying to do??

littlestudent said:

update: let me correct myself. so if F={1,2,3} then F can equal (123) or (132) or (213) or ... right ?

Along with micromass, I have no idea what {(1.2.3.4.5.6)} means. I've never seen such a notation. And I don't know what you mean by F = (123) etc. F is a set, pure and simple, specifically, the set of possible outcomes from one trial.

littlestudent said:

No. You don't seem to understand the notion of a set.
F = {1, 2, 3} means that F, as a set, contains the elements 1, 2 and 3. There is no order implied. None. Sets have no notion of order, and the idea of "randomizing a set" makes no sense at all, nor does the notation "F = {(1.2.3)}".

1. How do you randomize sets in math equations?

To randomize sets in math equations, you can use a random number generator. This can be done by using a computer program, a calculator, or even by drawing numbers out of a hat. The key is to ensure that each number in the set has an equal chance of being selected.

2. Why is it important to randomize sets in math equations?

Randomizing sets in math equations helps to eliminate bias and ensure that each number has an equal chance of being selected. This is important in statistical analysis and experiments where unbiased data is crucial for accurate results.

3. What are some common methods for randomizing sets in math equations?

Some common methods for randomizing sets in math equations include using a random number generator, shuffling the numbers manually, or using a formula to generate random numbers within a specific range.

4. Can sets be randomized in equations with variables?

Yes, sets can be randomized in equations with variables. In this case, the randomization would need to be done for each variable separately, ensuring that each variable has an equal chance of being selected.

5. Are there any limitations to randomizing sets in math equations?

One limitation of randomizing sets in math equations is that it may not always be possible to ensure complete randomness. Some numbers or variables may have a higher probability of being selected due to the nature of the equation or the randomization method used.