How to Ignore Excel Headers in Mathematica for Statistical Analysis?

In summary: Another option is to use the Mathematica Link for Excel, which allows you to directly import data from Excel into Mathematica without having to save the data as a separate file. In summary, there are multiple ways to deal with headers in Excel when importing data into Mathematica.
nkormanik
Excel Headers --> Mathematica

I have a large Excel .xls file. Miniature version shown below:

Test1 Test2
75 64
58 85
81 55
64 63
70 94
88 90
78 96
96 98
54 97
75 61

I would like to do some statistical analysis on the file in Mathematica 8.0.4.

Additionally I am using Mathematica Link for Excel 3.5.

The issue I'm now attempting to address concerns the "headers," or "column labels."

I need to tell Mathematica to disregard the headers. I want to use each respective header, however, as the name for the "variable stream" (Mathematica-speak for each column of data.)

What might be the best ways of dealing with such headers?

Thanks.

Nicholas Kormanik

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to do this is to use the Import command in Mathematica. You can specify the option "HeaderLines" to tell Mathematica to ignore the header lines and assign each column of data a variable name. For example, you could use the following command: data = Import["ExcelFile.xls", "Data", HeaderLines->1]This will store the data from your Excel file into a variable called "data" and ignore the header line. The columns of data will be assigned variable names "Test1" and "Test2". You can then use data[[All,"Test1"]] to access the data in the first column and data[[All,"Test2"]] to access the data in the second column.

1. How do I import Excel headers into Mathematica?

To import Excel headers into Mathematica, you can use the "Import" function with the option "HeaderLines" set to the number of header lines in your Excel file. This will import the data along with the headers into a Mathematica table.

2. Can I customize the headers in Mathematica after importing from Excel?

Yes, you can customize the headers in Mathematica after importing from Excel. You can use the "Part" function to select and rename specific columns in the table, or use the "TableForm" function to change the display of the headers.

3. How do I manipulate the headers in Mathematica?

You can manipulate the headers in Mathematica by using functions such as "Map", "ReplaceAll", and "StringReplace" to modify the headers in the table. You can also use the "Sort" function to organize the headers in a specific order.

4. Can I export Mathematica data with custom headers back to Excel?

Yes, you can export Mathematica data with custom headers back to Excel by using the "Table" function to create a table with the desired headers, and then using the "Export" function with the file format set to ".xlsx" to save the file.

5. Is there a way to automatically update Excel headers in Mathematica if the Excel file is changed?

Yes, you can use the "Refresh" function in Mathematica to automatically update the Excel headers if the Excel file is changed. This function will re-import the data from the Excel file and update the headers accordingly.