Is it true that no one will hire older engineers?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter JFrankParnell
  • Start date
In summary, despite some disadvantages, an older engineer can still find a job and enjoy a better lifestyle than their general population counterparts.
Having been on the hiring end, a degree is usually never considered except for applicants with little or no job experience. Depending on the needs and the budget, an experienced applicant is preferred over an inexperienced applicant. (Obviously an experienced applicant will have a degree, it's just no longer important) This is where budget comes in. A younger inexperienced person can be hired for much less than someone with experience and good credentials. This also means that an older experienced person will be excluded if the position doesn't require a great deal of experience.

And harborsparrow makes a very good point, networking. In the position I was in, we only hired based on internal references. Legally, we would have to advertise the job, but we already would have the person we were hiring based on being referred from within the group.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathnerd15 said:
I heard that beginning financial analysts/quants have terrible job security and have to work 120/hrs week.

Is that right? That's 20 hours a day if you take Sunday off to watch the game.:redface:

DiracPool said:
Is that right? That's 20 hours a day if you take Sunday off to watch the game.:redface:

I think the terrible job security/120 hours business is not true of quants/analysts. It is sometimes true of front desk traders at investment banks.

Hi,
This is not true, Dell is hiring qualified candidates of all ages, its just about finding the right job that fits your skill set. Dell has a variety of careers for software engineers, in addition to other related engineering jobs with openings all across the U.S., Canada and overseas. Hope this helps Good Luck

ShanCiera

is fuel cell, energy research a good field that is well funded? it seems there would be more funding for biomedical engineering, medical applications like medical physics, radiology/imaging, proton beam therapy, nanoparticle pharmaceutical research
personally I love pure mathematics but it's not always possible to have the career we would like

Last edited: