Question about university applications (averages)

In summary, the University of Alberta says that an 85% average is a guaranteed acceptance, without any quota. However, you should always have a backup plan in case you are not accepted.
TheAbsoluTurk
I applied to the University of Alberta in Canada for engineering studies in the fall of this year.

I always felt like a lot of people make university applications out to be a big deal in which you need crazy marks approaching 90% and further in order to get in. I always listened to what they have to say but I kept in my mind a feeling that people who get into major universities are probably spread out among the late 70%s up to 100%.

All of the times I had seen these numbers thrown around like 78% for arts and 80% for sciences and 85% for engineering I thought that these were the average marks for those who were accepted to these faculties. Looking closer though these are really the 'minimum admission averages.'

When the University of Alberta says the 'minimum admission average' is 85% for admission to engineering, does no one with a mark under 85% get in? I have an 84.6% average from the 5 courses they use to gague one's average.

Should I prepare for the worst and apply to other institutions and attempt to transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably close enough to be considered for acceptance. There likely isn't a hard line as their requirements are based on those who apply in a given semester and how many seats are available for instance.

However, you should always have a backup plan. I would still apply to other schools and try not to get your hopes up on attending one in particular.

QuarkCharmer said:
You are probably close enough to be considered for acceptance. There likely isn't a hard line as their requirements are based on those who apply in a given semester and how many seats are available for instance.

However, you should always have a backup plan. I would still apply to other schools and try not to get your hopes up on attending one in particular.

I have a backup but that school (U British Columbia) is arguably harder to get into. I will apply to some transfer programs.

I go to the UofA, and I've done the open house events for students. As far as I'm told, an 85% is a guaranteed acceptance, without any quota. And they may even round. I would call and ask the department if I were you. You could also apply to UofC, as they have a very good program too.

Dethrocutionx said:
I go to the UofA, and I've done the open house events for students. As far as I'm told, an 85% is a guaranteed acceptance, without any quota. And they may even round. I would call and ask the department if I were you. You could also apply to UofC, as they have a very good program too.

I've applied to MacEwan. I'm not in the position to go and live in Calgary so that's out of the question but thanks for the suggestion.

1. What is considered a good average for university admission?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as each university has its own set of admission criteria. Generally, a good average for university admission is considered to be in the range of 80-85% or above. However, it ultimately depends on the competitiveness of the program and the overall applicant pool.

2. Do universities only consider academic averages for admission?

No, universities also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, personal statements, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores in addition to academic averages. These factors help universities get a more well-rounded understanding of the applicant's strengths and potential.

3. Can a high average guarantee admission to a university?

While a high average is an important factor in university admission, it does not guarantee admission on its own. As mentioned earlier, universities consider a variety of factors in their admission decisions. It's important to also have a strong application overall, including a well-written personal statement and impressive extracurricular activities.

4. Is it better to have a high average in general courses or a lower average in advanced courses?

It is generally better to have a high average in advanced courses as it shows academic rigor and the ability to handle challenging coursework. However, this does not mean that having a lower average in general courses will automatically disqualify you from admission. It's important to find a balance and do well in all courses.

5. Can a below-average average be offset by other strong aspects of an application?

Yes, a below-average average can be offset by other strong aspects of an application, such as exceptional extracurricular activities, impressive letters of recommendation, or a well-written personal statement. However, it's important to note that a low average may still put an applicant at a disadvantage in the admission process.