Neutrino Communication Problem

In summary, In order for a distant, advanced civilization to make contact with us using neutrinos as the transmitting medium, they would use an antineutrino beam with enough energy to generate a W- boson on Earth via the process ##\bar{\nu_e} + e^- \to W^-##. The energy of the antineutrinos required would be equal to or greater than the rest mass energy of the W boson, which is approximately 80.4 GeV. This can be calculated using the energy-momentum relationship for relativistic particles, where the zeroth component of the 4-vector is equal to the energy divided by the speed of light. Neglecting the mass of the neutrinos, the relationship between
roam

Homework Statement

I need some help understanding the following problem:

A distant, advanced civilization wishes to make contact with us using neutrinos rather than photons as the transmitting medium to avoid problems of obscuration along the line of sight. Suppose they use an [itex]\bar{\nu_e}[/itex] antineutrino beam to generate ##W^-## on Earth via the process

[itex]\bar{\nu_e} + e^- \to W^-[/itex]​

Calculate the energy of the antineutrinos that would be required, in eV.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what concepts/equations are required here.

We have a modulated beams of antineutrino as information carriers that converts into electrons, resulting in the emission of a ##W^-## (or absorption of ##W^+##). Does this mean an antineutrino must have at least an energy equal to the rest energy of an electron (##m_ec^2##)? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the generated W's should be real.
If you have a neutrino with 511 keV of energy, and an electron, can they react to produce a (real) W?

Think of energy/momentum conservation.

mfb said:
I think the generated W's should be real.
If you have a neutrino with 511 keV of energy, and an electron, can they react to produce a (real) W?

Think of energy/momentum conservation.

Thank you for your input.

So the e- and the neutrino must have the same magnitude of energy? (I thought neutrinos do not interact with matter so that they would annihilate :confused:)

The energy/momentum conservation is ##E_{\bar{\nu}} + E_{e^-} = E_{W^-}##. If the electron is at rest (##P_{e^-}=0##) the invariant becomes ##E_{e^-} = m_{e^-} c^2 = 510.7 \ keV##.

Therefore for the 511 keV case we can produce a W boson. Is that right?

Also, I think the W's will be real not virtual, because in the following diagram I drew, the W- has an external line coming out:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you should just get [itex]E_{\bar{\nu}} = 80.4 GeV - 511keV[/itex], that is, if Wolfram is giving me the correct value for the W boson

roam said:
So the e- and the neutrino must have the same magnitude of energy?
No
(I thought neutrinos do not interact with matter so that they would annihilate :confused:)
They can be created, and the time-reversed process is always possible, too. It is just rare.

The energy/momentum conservation is ##E_{\bar{\nu}} + E_{e^-} = E_{W^-}##. If the electron is at rest (##P_{e^-}=0##) the invariant becomes ##E_{e^-} = m_{e^-} c^2 = 510.7 \ keV##.
That is a good approach, but 4-momenta would be even better here.
Therefore for the 511 keV case we can produce a W boson. Is that right?
No. How did you get that conclusion?

With an electron at rest (511 keV) and a neutrino of 511 keV, your total energy is just ~1MeV. How should that give a W-boson of ~80 GeV, even without its kinetic energy?@spaderdabomb: That is wrong, the produced W-boson will not be at rest. In addition, please do not (try to) post full solutions to homework problems.

I don't see how I put was incorrect. I mean, energy must be conserved. The kinetic energy plus the rest mass energy of the incoming neutrinos, plus the rest mass energy of the electron it collides with must be equal to or greater than the rest mass energy of the W boson.

spaderdabomb said:
I mean, energy must be conserved.
Sure, but momentum has to be conserved, too.

The electron has no momentum, the neutrino has a momentum. To conserve momentum, the W boson has to move, so some of the energy has to go into its motion.

Hmmm you're right. Crap should have used four vectors =/ i always get lazy

mfb said:
That is a good approach, but 4-momenta would be even better here.
No. How did you get that conclusion?

With an electron at rest (511 keV) and a neutrino of 511 keV, your total energy is just ~1MeV. How should that give a W-boson of ~80 GeV, even without its kinetic energy?

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I assumed that the neutrino comes in along the x-axis, and the emitted W- also moves in that direction (to conserve momentum). And since ##m_{W^\pm} = 80.403 \ GeV/c^2##, I got these four momentum vectors:

##\begin{pmatrix} 80.403 \ GeV/c \\ P_x \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 511 \ KeV/c \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} E_{\nu}/c \\ P_x \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}##​

or ##p_{\nu} = p_{W^-} \ - \ p_{e^-}##. So how does the energy that goes into W's motion factor in this equation? :confused:

I'm not also sure how to calculate the momentum of the antineutrinos in the beam, but here is what I did so far using the energy-momentum relationship for a relativistic particle:

##E_{\nu}^2 = p_{\nu}^2 c^2 + (m_{\nu} c^2)^2##

##\implies p_{\nu}= 80 \ GeV - 511 \ KeV=\sqrt{E^2_{\nu}-m_{\nu}^2}## (in units where c = 1)

Is this right?

The first entry for the W is wrong. The mass of the W boson is related to its 4-vector, but not in that way...

You can neglect the neutrino mass in this problem.

mfb said:
The first entry for the W is wrong. The mass of the W boson is related to its 4-vector, but not in that way...

You can neglect the neutrino mass in this problem.

So what goes in the first entry for the W? I was just following my textbook (it says the zeroth component of the 4 vector is simply E/c). :confused:

Simply E/c, exactly. You do not know E yet, but you know a relation between E and p of the W boson.

Yes, so the relationship between E and p of W boson is

##E=c\sqrt{m_W^2c^2+p_W^2}##

And for the ν it is

##E_{\nu}=|p_{\nu}|c## (treating it as a massless particle)

Putting these into the equation for conservation of energy, we have

##|p_{\nu}|c + 511 \ KeV = c\sqrt{m_W^2c^2+p_W^2}##

But this is an equation for two unknowns, how do I solve this for the momentum of the W or the neutrino?

You already used ##p_\nu=p_W## in post 9.

Thank you very much for reminding me, here is what I've got:

##|p_{\nu}|c + 511 \ KeV = c\sqrt{m_W^2c^2+p_\nu^2}## or

##(p_\nu c + 511 \ KeV)^2 = c^2 (m^2c^2+p_\nu^2) ##

Solving for |pν|,

##\implies p_\nu = \frac{m_W^2 c^4-511 \ MeV}{2(511 \ KeV)c}##

Meanwhile, the energy of the neutrino (from E2-p2c2=m2c4) is

##E_\nu = p_\nu \times c = \frac{(80.403\times10^9)^2 (3\times10^8)^2- (511 \times 10^6)}{2(511 \times 10^3)} = 5.69 \times 10^{32} \ eV##

So that's a huge amount of energy to deliver to a particle... did I make a mistake or is that a realistic answer (for this situation)?

The factors of c are wrong. You need more "c" at the momenta, or less at the masses. Just check the units of the result, they do not match.
In addition, I think you forgot a square at 511 in the numerator, but that won't change the result.
Yes, it is a huge number (just not as huge as you calculated), and the conclusion is that you don't want to use that method of communication ;).

Likes 1 person
I agree. It makes perfect sense now. Thank you for taking the time to help with the problem, I really appreciate it. :)

What is the "Neutrino Communication Problem"?

The "Neutrino Communication Problem" refers to the challenge of using neutrinos, subatomic particles with no electric charge, to send and receive information over long distances.

Why is neutrino communication important?

Neutrino communication has the potential to revolutionize long-distance communication by offering faster and more secure transmission of information. Neutrinos can pass through solid objects, making them ideal for communication through physical barriers, such as the Earth's crust or ocean.

What are the current challenges in neutrino communication?

One of the main challenges in neutrino communication is detecting and decoding neutrinos, which are notoriously difficult to interact with. Another challenge is producing a steady and controllable source of neutrinos for communication purposes.

What progress has been made in neutrino communication?

While there is ongoing research and experimentation in this field, there have been some successful demonstrations of using neutrinos for communication, such as the Neutrino Messaging System developed by a team at Fermilab in 2019. However, there is still a long way to go before neutrino communication becomes a viable option for widespread use.

What are the potential implications of neutrino communication?

If successful, neutrino communication could have a significant impact on various industries, including telecommunications, national security, and scientific research. It could also open up new possibilities for space exploration and communication with extraterrestrial civilizations.