Is it ok to be a social recluse?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's important to find someone who shares similar interests as you, otherwise the conversations will be pretty one-sided. If you can't find anyone like that then I think it's ok to live the way you do. Just make sure you're happy with it and don't convince yourself that you need friends in order to be successful.
If wrong and right are just words, then why do you care about how the conversation goes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am somewhat anti-social as well. I prefer to be alone usually to being in groups, and I particularly dislike doing "group activities", they always feel awkward and unproductive to me. I don't mind having one on one dialogue with people though. I don't think it's good for the psyche to be a social recluse for too long, it must have some effects on it that are probably negative.

So the takeaway is to have social interactions, but you don't have to go out every weekend with a group of friends if you don't want to. It can be nice to have good company

I have Aspergers as well. I often find myself burying myself in endless sheets of graph paper to avoid conversation. And conversation that I do have with my few friends is often short and exhausting. I'm unintentionally cut off mid-sentence so often, that I eventually give up. Then I put in headphones for the sake of drowning out the constant "Did you hear what [PERSON 1] said about [PERSON 2]?" And "So how 'bout them [INSERT RELEVANT SPORTS TEAM]?"

Although I would like to say that I'm happy in my own thoughts, there've been resent studies that suggest that a hormone released during social/intimate interactions reduces stress. I honestly don't think a study was necessary to tell me that occasionally being hugged/kissed/spoken to alleviates the thumping headache caused by high school. The moral of the story is that if you're female, and see a seemingly heterosexual male nerd, hug him. Or just strike up a friendly conversation. (Note: works with an sex of any sexual orientation)

Of course there is people happy being alone. Social withdrawal is a bad thing when you are a recluse because of insecurity. So , the insecurity hold you from making what you wish , and people in this conditions usually are unhappy. I force myself to lose any social interation fear. Life is such a precious thing, and can be so beautifull when you live it fully. Being yourself without fearing people's opinion is much better than making a life full of regrets and than recognizing you could had lived much better. Never neglect your hapiness.

People are always second-guessing social recluses , loners , introverted people , and I think it's about time we call out the social , extroverted people.What's so enjoyable about being with a crowd of people where no intelligent conversation can survive for very long due to the variety in interests , intelligence level , knowledge? What's so fun in having to follow social rules , having to hide a part of yourself to "fit in"? What's so lovely about people and their unpredictable behavior? What's so great about the fact people that are naturally more respected due to physical appearence or other similar factors will always convince the group more easily and control it no matter if they are right or wrong? What's so attractive about being in an environnement where emotions and their unwritten rules are running the show?

Now of course not all groups are created equal and if you can find a group of people sharing your interests the situation can be better , but here I'm talking about people that will socialize no matter which situation they are put into.

Last edited:
The problem is not that you are a social recluse, but rather that YOU see it as a problem which in turn has a bad effect on your personal confidence. People are usually scared to talk to other people because of the fear that they of not being liked and thus rejected, so if you don't even like yourself you won't think anyone will like you.

No being a recluse isn't bad, as a matter of fact during my time being a recluse I gained so much confidence in myself and discovered who I really was without all these outside opinions.

In the end though there is nothing wrong with being a recluse, you might learn a lot from it, and it's not forever once you do.

jduster said:
I have Aspergers as well and I totally understand where you are coming from.

IMO, the easy way out is not the best solution in the long run. I've been rejected, outcasted, bullied, defriended, been given weird looks, gone through lots of friendships, gotten in nasty arguments and so on. In the end, each of these painful experiences taught me a lesson so that now I can talk to people freely. And now I have flexibility. Some days I might just want to come home from work and stay home alone playing video games the whole day, but whenever I need to, I can make friends and find people to talk to.

So yeah, you can isolate yourself if you want. You won't experience any pain, but you won't learn much either. And in 5 years from now, you'll say to yourself that you're still in the same position you were years ago and you could have improved but you didn't.

It's your choice.

How do you get over rejection, fear of painful experiences and so on? I often avoid meeting new people because I'm scared of rejection and due to more complicated reasons, I can never truly be myself around others. Because of this I often prefer to be alone and I know it's a terrible plan in the long run. I should be meeting new people and learning how to socialize with different kinds of people. I find that although I have a good sense of humor, I'm kind of a serious person and I don't like small talk. All of this mixed with a bit of social anxiety makes it impossible to develop new relationships.

MathJakob said:
I can't stand the social awkwardness of being in the presence of someone and not having anything to talk about. I very much enjoy being on my own and I never ever feel lonely. If you're wondering why I act like this then it's probably because I actually have Aspergers. That aside I wanted to ask people here if it's ok to live life the way I do? I understand there may be benefits from having a social life but the stress and effort it takes to make friends is not worth the pay off in my opinion.

Does anyone here think this is a wrong way to live?
I don't think it is a wrong way to live if it doesn't stress you. If it stresses you to wait for your housemate to go so you can actually eat, then it is a wrong way to live. Or at least you have to escape to a place in which you don't have to hide and be caused stress because of it. I'm not telling you to change but to improve your life quality by moving to a place where you can be who you are. I repeat: If it doesn't cause you stress, there is no need to change.

[PLAIN said:
http://favim.com/image/1215821/]After[/PLAIN] [Broken] changing to fit into society, you are eventually going to want your old self back sooner or later.
And I agree. In fact psychologist shouldn't try to change a person who is happy living alone into a social person for the stress may actually cause stress-related diseases that may in the end reduce the patient's lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regtic said:
How do you get over rejection, fear of painful experiences and so on? I often avoid meeting new people because I'm scared of rejection and due to more complicated reasons, I can never truly be myself around others. Because of this I often prefer to be alone and I know it's a terrible plan in the long run. I should be meeting new people and learning how to socialize with different kinds of people. I find that although I have a good sense of humor, I'm kind of a serious person and I don't like small talk. All of this mixed with a bit of social anxiety makes it impossible to develop new relationships.

IME, you don't. Well, you can, but only really up to a point. More for some, less for others. The amount of positive and negative experiences you have interacting with other people throughout your life will either etch away at that fear or further solidify your insecurities, respectively. Unless you manage to convince yourself that some negative experiences are not due to your own shortcomings but that of the people treating you poorly, but that takes a bit of an ego which you probably don't have to start with.

Your only goal should be to avoid people who think like this:

dipole said:
Don't really have much tolerance for social ineptitude - interesting people generally are competent enough to at least socially interact correctly.

and not avoid (or *gasp* approach) people who think like this:

Astronuc said:
I find people interesting, and a weird person is no exception.

I would say that I get interested, but rather, I find such people interesting, and I'd treat them as though they were not 'weird'.

I'm not sure about the 4th option. It's not that I don't care, because I care about anyone and everyone I encounter, but rather I'm not alarmed, or i.e., I'm not concerned.

IME, this practically translates to not making much if any friends below the age of 30. Your teens and 20's are almost guaranteed to suck if you are not a social butterfly.

If you want to put yourself in uncomfortable situations that stress yourself out, at least make sure the benefits wholly outweigh the drawbacks for you. Living with constant anxiety is not healthy. I've managed to pull it off for getting work and going to school, one year of which was done in a city that is ~10-million strong. It is actually not that bad. In fact I think it's about as almost easy as living in total solitude since in mega-cities most people keep to themselves if you avoid social events altogether.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Regtic said:

How do you get over rejection ? Make a joke of it. I used to say , with firmness and authority "I can handle rejection" then bury my face in the crook of my arm and wail out an exaggerated "Arrghh ah-boo hoo hoo".

To be more serious about it, you'll find out an awfully large proportion of people have the same feelings .. You're really not atypical. And you're okay;; when you discover that you'll suddenly become more comfortable in a crowd. It's okay to be a quiet person.

I'd suggest a public speaking course, maybe at local community college adult education. Public speaking works wonders for people's self confidence. Sorta like old Demosthenes - he forced himself to do what was difficult for him and became famously good at it.

jim hardy said:
How do you get over rejection ? Make a joke of it. I used to say , with firmness and authority "I can handle rejection" then bury my face in the crook of my arm and wail out an exaggerated "Arrghh ah-boo hoo hoo".

To be more serious about it, you'll find out an awfully large proportion of people have the same feelings .. You're really not atypical. And you're okay;; when you discover that you'll suddenly become more comfortable in a crowd. It's okay to be a quiet person.

I'd suggest a public speaking course, maybe at local community college adult education. Public speaking works wonders for people's self confidence. Sorta like old Demosthenes - he forced himself to do what was difficult for him and became famously good at it.

I'm able to be confident about certain things. Like about a week ago I was doing a presentation on a biology lab report for part of my comprehensive examination for my D.E.C (CEGEP thing), and I was totally able to talk in front of the class and answer questions. I just presented my results naturally while he rest of my group had a hard time doing so. They were all a lot more social-able than me and seemed like they all had pretty healthy social lives yet they relied on cue cards and were really nervous in front of others. I'm a good public speaker, I am confident in my ideas, I'm just terribly insecure about my social skills.

I don't want to turn this into a blog but I've had periods in my life where I have been able to be confident about my ability to socialize but they were all temporary delusions about myself that allowed me to feel confident. I can put on a mask if I need to, to appear normal, but this doesn't last very long. Eventually people realize that I'm terribly disinterested in socializing with them. The problem here is that I do get lonely sometimes and it will only get worse as I get older. I'm only 19. I've been debating on speaking to a psychologist or not but that stuff is expensive and I'm only going to be working minimum wage this summer.

Regtic said:
I'm able to be confident about certain things. Like about a week ago I was doing a presentation on a biology lab report for part of my comprehensive examination for my D.E.C (CEGEP thing), and I was totally able to talk in front of the class and answer questions. I just presented my results naturally while he rest of my group had a hard time doing so. They were all a lot more social-able than me and seemed like they all had pretty healthy social lives yet they relied on cue cards and were really nervous in front of others. I'm a good public speaker, I am confident in my ideas, I'm just terribly insecure about my social skills.

I don't want to turn this into a blog but I've had periods in my life where I have been able to be confident about my ability to socialize but they were all temporary delusions about myself that allowed me to feel confident. I can put on a mask if I need to, to appear normal, but this doesn't last very long. Eventually people realize that I'm terribly disinterested in socializing with them. The problem here is that I do get lonely sometimes and it will only get worse as I get older. I'm only 19. I've been debating on speaking to a psychologist or not but that stuff is expensive and I'm only going to be working minimum wage this summer.
Does your school have psychological services available? I don't mean to sound alarmist or anything, but I would take advantage of it sooner than later, before your social anxiety develops into something worse (very usually depression). I finally got around to seeing one at the age of 26 and a good deal of my character was already set in by then, so there are aspects that I am stunted for life in. The earlier you address it, the better, as you may have realized putting up a facade only gets you so far (and IME, the approach has diminishing returns).

Lavabug said:
Does your school have psychological services available? I don't mean to sound alarmist or anything, but I would take advantage of it sooner than later, before your social anxiety develops into something worse (very usually depression). I finally got around to seeing one at the age of 26 and a good deal of my character was already set in by then, so there are aspects that I am stunted for life in. The earlier you address it, the better, as you may have realized putting up a facade only gets you so far (and IME, the approach has diminishing returns).

I have no idea, probably not. Cegep's are practically free and are really a bridge between uni and high school over here. I don't really feel comfortable seeing someone for that who is tied to my school either. I wouldn't ever want to run into that person or have to make incredibly awkward small talk in line at the cafeteria or in the atrium, etc. I wouldn't want anyone to know about it either. And this might be my avoidant personality talking, but I feel that if my mom knew that I was going to see a psychologist it would stress her out and she would most likely tell other people. She's doing radiation right now and doesn't need more things to worry about. The weird thing about when I get depressed is that I never really feel sad. I just get really numb. I don't mean to sound like a sociopath, I think I'm a morally upstanding person. I'm just a bit emotionally stunted because of some stuff that I went through when I was younger.

What was your experience like with your psychologist? Was it beneficial to you? You sound like you weren't satisfied with the results, but would it really have been better if you went when you were 19?

Regtic said:
I have no idea, probably not. Cegep's are practically free and are really a bridge between uni and high school over here. I don't really feel comfortable seeing someone for that who is tied to my school either. I wouldn't ever want to run into that person or have to make incredibly awkward small talk in line at the cafeteria or in the atrium, etc. I wouldn't want anyone to know about it either. And this might be my avoidant personality talking, but I feel that if my mom knew that I was going to see a psychologist it would stress her out and she would most likely tell other people. She's doing radiation right now and doesn't need more things to worry about. The weird thing about when I get depressed is that I never really feel sad. I just get really numb. I don't mean to sound like a sociopath, I think I'm a morally upstanding person. I'm just a bit emotionally stunted because of some stuff that I went through when I was younger.

What was your experience like with your psychologist? Was it beneficial to you? You sound like you weren't satisfied with the results, but would it really have been better if you went when you were 19?

Psychologists are sensible people. If they ever see you outside of therapy sessions they have the sense to not engage in small-talk with you unless you request it, much less tell anyone about it. They're all too familiar with the stigma that goes with visiting a shrink.

The experience with a therapist is largely what you make of it. It is important to have realistic expectations of what you'll get out of it. For me the net effect was positive, I hope it did not sound like I was dissatisfied.

It did not cure anything by itself and neither did medication, but the combination of both with a lot of reflection with a pen and paper did yield a better living situation than what I had going into it. My self-esteem is roughly the same, but I have noticed that I'm a lot more comfortable with being socially retarded and don't worry as much about how I am perceived because of it. Which helps in making day to day life more tolerable. I regained some of the hobbies and joys of life that I had completely lost for a good portion of a year (music, exercise and video games), I think that is a good thing.

It may have been better had I sought out help earlier, but I really don't know, no sense in dwelling on that now. There are still things I yearn for like some female attention for instance, nearing 30 and never having gone on a date sucks. But that is neither here nor there and more than likely to interfere with my career ambitions, which I am pretty hard-headed about at this stage.

Lavabug said:
Psychologists are sensible people. If they ever see you outside of therapy sessions they have the sense to not engage in small-talk with you unless you request it, much less tell anyone about it. They're all too familiar with the stigma that goes with visiting a shrink.

The experience with a therapist is largely what you make of it. It is important to have realistic expectations of what you'll get out of it. For me the net effect was positive, I hope it did not sound like I was dissatisfied.

It did not cure anything by itself and neither did medication, but the combination of both with a lot of reflection with a pen and paper did yield a better living situation than what I had going into it. My self-esteem is roughly the same, but I have noticed that I'm a lot more comfortable with being socially retarded and don't worry as much about how I am perceived because of it. Which helps in making day to day life more tolerable. I regained some of the hobbies and joys of life that I had completely lost for a good portion of a year (music, exercise and video games), I think that is a good thing.

It may have been better had I sought out help earlier, but I really don't know, no sense in dwelling on that now. There are still things I yearn for like some female attention for instance, nearing 30 and never having gone on a date sucks. But that is neither here nor there and more than likely to interfere with my career ambitions, which I am pretty hard-headed about at this stage.

Lol this is basically my situation but I'm a little younger. I wouldn't give a damn if I didn't have have any social skills if I could have a girlfriend without them. The main reason I feel obligated to learn how to socialize and meet new people is so that I can get a girlfriend. I have people I can hang out with if I wanted to, I just haven't been hanging out with them nearly at all because I don't need to anymore since they have their own new college friends. I just want that female attention so I feel bad that my lifestyle is putting me down a path where it's going to make it hard for me to feel satisfied in that respect. Of course I want to become a great physicist, but my primary ambition is to have the family that I once had when I was little.

jim hardy said:
Ha! That was funny.
Regtic said:
How do you get over rejection, fear of painful experiences and so on? I often avoid meeting new people because I'm scared of rejection and due to more complicated reasons, I can never truly be myself around others.
My 2 cents: With training. Get rejected over and over and over and over... ad infinitum. Just like you gain physical resistance by training, you will gain rejection resistance by training. The six pack will eventually form itself. :wink:

The problem is dealing with the stress the initial rejections may create. If one gives meaning to "rejection", then one is going to feel the blow of it, but if one dismiss its meaning, nothing should happen. I think that should work.

Psinter said:
Ha! That was funny.

My 2 cents: With training. Get rejected over and over and over and over... ad infinitum. Just like you gain physical resistance by training, you will gain rejection resistance by training. The six pack will eventually form itself. :wink:

The problem is dealing with the stress the initial rejections may create. If one gives meaning to "rejection", then one is going to feel the blow of it, but if one dismiss its meaning, nothing should happen. I think that should work.

Ahahaha I like the analogy. By similar analogy, I might argue that if I continually cut myself in a specific spot, initially it might hurt, but I'll develop tougher skin. Unfortunately, this might leave me scarred! Some people have thicker skin than others, but some might bleed profusely. I definitely think there's some truth to what you're saying though. Change in environment generally leads to adaptation, that's our nature. If I force myself to continually expose myself to other people, eventually it will become natural to me.

Like about a week ago I was doing a presentation on a biology lab report for part of my comprehensive examination for my D.E.C (CEGEP thing), and I was totally able to talk in front of the class and answer questions. I just presented my results naturally

Well i'd wager there were several young ladies in the class who noticed.

You will be perceived by others pretty much as you perceive yourself.
So focus on your successes like the good speech, make light of your social mistakes, and always be kind.

Some enchanted evening...

Psinter said:
Ha! That was funny.

There is such a thing as taking an analogy too far. You can also overload and tear a muscle clean off the bone with enough repeated weight training if your form isn't right, and there is not much recovery from that.

jim hardy said:
You will be perceived by others pretty much as you perceive yourself.

My shrink liked to say most people don't see you the same way you see yourself. They are not aware what your insecurities are, so use that to your advantage.

Okay, I know it's hard in social situations, so here is a somewhat crude way look at it. If the people that say their are your friend really are, you have no need to do anything but be you. To those that do not accept you for who you are because you do not live up to their expectations (the crude part) then furk them . Who said that you have to live up to anybody's expectations but your own?

Look up the definition of friend in the dictionary, yeah I know it's a book, but look anyway. It may shed some light on your situation or at least a different view and a better handle on people in general.

As far as The Big Bang goes, you are supposed to see a group of people with limited social skills, anything else is pure conjecture on the viewers part. Anyone here ever see Friends' Joey or Seinfeld's Crammer, or any of the other mindless comedy's buffoons?

Anyone want to take a stab at the label on those two?

Good luck in your endeavors and ignore the rest of the noise.

<h2>1. Is being a social recluse harmful for one's mental health?</h2><p>It is not necessarily harmful for one's mental health to be a social recluse, as introverted personalities tend to thrive in solitude. However, if someone is isolating themselves due to underlying mental health issues, it can be detrimental and professional help should be sought.</p><h2>2. Can being a social recluse affect one's physical health?</h2><p>There is no direct correlation between being a social recluse and physical health. However, if someone is isolating themselves to the point of neglecting their basic needs such as proper nutrition and exercise, it can have negative impacts on their physical health.</p><h2>3. Is it normal to prefer being alone over socializing?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely normal to prefer being alone over socializing. Everyone has different levels of social needs and introverted personalities tend to find solitude rejuvenating.</p><h2>4. Can being a social recluse lead to social anxiety?</h2><p>Being a social recluse does not necessarily cause social anxiety, but it can contribute to it if someone is avoiding social situations due to fear or discomfort. It is important to address the root cause of social anxiety and seek professional help if needed.</p><h2>5. Is it possible to have a fulfilling life as a social recluse?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to have a fulfilling life as a social recluse. It is important to find a balance between alone time and social interactions that brings joy and fulfillment to one's life. Introverted individuals can also find meaningful connections through online communities and activities that align with their interests.</p>

1. Is being a social recluse harmful for one's mental health?

It is not necessarily harmful for one's mental health to be a social recluse, as introverted personalities tend to thrive in solitude. However, if someone is isolating themselves due to underlying mental health issues, it can be detrimental and professional help should be sought.

2. Can being a social recluse affect one's physical health?

There is no direct correlation between being a social recluse and physical health. However, if someone is isolating themselves to the point of neglecting their basic needs such as proper nutrition and exercise, it can have negative impacts on their physical health.

3. Is it normal to prefer being alone over socializing?

Yes, it is completely normal to prefer being alone over socializing. Everyone has different levels of social needs and introverted personalities tend to find solitude rejuvenating.

4. Can being a social recluse lead to social anxiety?

Being a social recluse does not necessarily cause social anxiety, but it can contribute to it if someone is avoiding social situations due to fear or discomfort. It is important to address the root cause of social anxiety and seek professional help if needed.

5. Is it possible to have a fulfilling life as a social recluse?

Yes, it is possible to have a fulfilling life as a social recluse. It is important to find a balance between alone time and social interactions that brings joy and fulfillment to one's life. Introverted individuals can also find meaningful connections through online communities and activities that align with their interests.