Can a Perfect Circle be Drawn? The Answer May Surprise You!

• Thread starter mprm86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to draw a perfect circle and the different perspectives on what constitutes perfection. The conclusion is that while there may be limits to perfection, it can still be achieved to a certain degree.
mprm86
Is it possible to draw a perfect circle. My answer wold be no, because the perimeter of the circle should be a multiple of pi, but pi is transcendent, so it is not posibble. Am i right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No.The transcendental character of [itex] \pi[/itex] has nothing to do with the geometry involved in picking a compasses and drawing that circle.

Daniel.

I don't believe a 'perfect' circle is possible, but it depends onwhat you mean by perfect.

I think he means a perfect physical circle. In that case, the answer is no.

Manchot said:
I think he means a perfect physical circle. In that case, the answer is no.

Actually there are limits to 'perfection'..but as 'good as' is achievable in some instances, example..I was told by someone in high mathematical regard, that it was known from ancient times that the Greek Philosophicals regarded 'perfection' as a human unatainable achievement, he referred to someone (I can't recall who?) that was set a task to produce the perfect circle, "physical drawing of". I immeidiatley went to the blackboard, chalk in hand, and proceeded to attempt the immposible.

I approached the blackboard, stood in front, the I turned at an angle of 45 degree's, so My shoulder was touching the blackboard. I then proceeded to use my shoulder as the 'point' of the compass, turning my arm around, I produced..a near as damn it pefect circle! :wink:

Try it and step back from the blackboard and observe your attempt?

The simplest mechanical linkage that produces a straight line motion, Peucillier's inversor, relies on circular motion. So the straightest line you can draw is only as perfect as the best circle you can draw, or maybe less so.

Spin_Network said:
Actually there are limits to 'perfection'..but as 'good as' is achievable in some instances, example..I was told by someone in high mathematical regard, that it was known from ancient times that the Greek Philosophicals regarded 'perfection' as a human unatainable achievement, he referred to someone (I can't recall who?) that was set a task to produce the perfect circle, "physical drawing of". I immeidiatley went to the blackboard, chalk in hand, and proceeded to attempt the immposible.

I approached the blackboard, stood in front, the I turned at an angle of 45 degree's, so My shoulder was touching the blackboard. I then proceeded to use my shoulder as the 'point' of the compass, turning my arm around, I produced..a near as damn it pefect circle! :wink:

Try it and step back from the blackboard and observe your attempt?
ah, but it is only what you percieve, (<-----is that how you spell it?)
it is not truly "perfect"
which, nowadays is a loosly thrown around term.

thread locked
Necropost replying to a banned member, therefore pointless.

1. Can a perfect circle be drawn by hand?

Technically, no. A perfect circle is a mathematical concept and cannot be drawn by hand with complete accuracy. However, with the use of tools such as a compass or a string, a very close approximation can be achieved.

2. Is a computer capable of drawing a perfect circle?

Yes, a computer can draw a perfect circle through the use of mathematical algorithms and precise measurements. However, even with a computer, there may be slight imperfections due to limitations in the software or hardware.

3. Are there any objects or tools that can create a perfect circle?

As mentioned before, a compass or a string can create a close approximation of a perfect circle. Additionally, some machines such as CNC routers or laser cutters can also create perfect circles through precise programming and cutting.

4. Why is it impossible to draw a perfect circle?

It is impossible to draw a perfect circle by hand because it requires infinite precision, which is not achievable by humans. Even the smallest imperfection in measurement or movement can result in a slightly irregular shape.

5. Is it possible to create a perfect circle in nature?

No, it is not possible to find a perfect circle in nature. This is because natural objects and processes are subject to imperfections and variations, resulting in shapes that are not perfectly circular. However, some natural phenomena, such as the orbits of planets, can closely resemble a perfect circle.