Time Travel at Light Speed: How Can Earth Be in Future?

In summary: So you will have aged 1 minute and 25 seconds, while 20 minutes will have passed on Earth. So in that sense, you will have "traveled into the future" by 18 minutes and 35 seconds.In summary, if a person were to travel in a ship at a speed close to that of light for 20 minutes of Earth time, then turn around and return to Earth, they would only experience 1 minute and 25 seconds of elapsed time on the ship. However, 20 minutes would have passed on Earth, resulting in the person "traveling into the future" by 18 minutes and 35
darrin016
So, if I travel in a ship at light speed in a line from Earth to space for 10 minutes. Than turn around and travel back at light speed for 10 minutes. To Earth time, I would be gone 20 minutes... But everywhere I read people are saying that Earth will be in the future by the time I come back. But I only raveled 20 minutes since light goes so fast. So why would Earth be in the future? I understand that on the spaceship time stops. So in reality I should not of aged those 20 minutes while the people on Earth have aged 20 minutes.. So how come when i research. Everyone saying that thousands of years would have went by.. But in reality light moves fast. And if time stopped. How does light go back and forth so fast if time is really stopping? Seems like light it self would stop if time stops right? Because it light is still moving that fast and can come back to Earth in 20 minutes and observe the same Earth as when the light left. Why does it change if a human is on board observing?

Physics news on Phys.org
darrin016 said:
So, if I travel in a ship at light speed

You can't travel at light speed. No object with nonzero rest mass can travel at light speed. The best you can do is to travel close to light speed.

darrin016 said:
everywhere I read people are saying that Earth will be in the future by the time I come back. But I only raveled 20 minutes since light goes so fast. So why would Earth be in the future?

20 minutes, by Earth clocks, after you set out *is* "the future", relative to the time you set out.

darrin016 said:
I understand that on the spaceship time stops.

No, it doesn't, because you and the ship can't travel at light speed. You can make your elapsed time on the ship very small by traveling very close to light speed, but you can't make it zero.

darrin016 said:
So how come when i research. Everyone saying that thousands of years would have went by..

Where did the thousands of years come from? The only time you've mentioned so far is 20 minutes. If that meant 20 minutes by Earth clocks, then that's 20 minutes by Earth clocks.

If, OTOH, you meant 20 minutes according to your clock on the spaceship, then yes, when you return to Earth, thousands of years could have elapsed by Earth clocks, if you were traveling close enough to the speed of light.

darrin016 said:
Seems like light it self would stop if time stops right?

Time does not "stop" for light. The concept of "elapsed time" is not well-defined for light.

Oh, and I see this is your first post, so welcome to PF!

Last edited:
I know it's not possible guys.
Let's say .0001 to the speed of light okay.
So if I go and come back after 20 minutes of Earth time.. Than when I returned, I would come back to 20 minutes after the time I left and that's all right? Not any more years or anything crazy?

I say that because I seen a post where someone said if you were to skype in a spaceship with someone on earth. (Speed of light) they would see you moving in like a fast forward looking motion. And in would observe them moving in "slow mo" but I would have to be gone for 1 hour in my relative time in the ship. But if I counted to one hour in my head instead of looking at my watch than returned after that hour. Would I still come back in future or would I come back to "one hour later Earth time"

Thanks for the replies. I'm on the physics app for my phone so I couldn't tell just one person answered all those questions. When we are talking short intervals like 10 , 20 minutes on earth. (Watching someone moving at light) then that isn't enough time for time to change drastically to the person leaving and coming back right?

Maybe this is a easier way to ask this question.
How long would someone need to travel at light, according to time in the ship.. To have a big effect on time change when they come back to the planet?
Sorry for so many posts, I'm all over the place. I didn't know how to let my thoughts out all at once, I made a profile and spewed out my confusion.

How far away are you going anyway? That matters you know. The closest star is 4.243 light years away so if you went there and back at close too the speed of light then more then 8.486 years have passed on earth. How much time would have passed for you depends on how fast you where going.

Evanish said:
How far away are you going anyway? That matters you know. The closest star is 4.243 light years away so if you went there and back at close too the speed of light then more then 8.486 years have passed on earth. How much time would have passed for you depends on how fast you where going.
Exactly, so let's say I went there and back at basically speed of light. Would I come back to a 8 year in the future earth? Or since I was traveling 8 years in the ship at light speed. Would I come back to a Earth way farther into the future?

darrin016 said:
So if I go and come back after 20 minutes of Earth time.. Than when I returned, I would come back to 20 minutes after the time I left and that's all right? Not any more years or anything crazy?

Since you specified 20 minutes of Earth time, then 20 minutes will have elapsed on Earth when you return. How could it be anything different, since you explicitly said 20 minutes of *Earth* time?

Of course, since you are traveling at 0.9999 times the speed of light, then by your clock on the ship, only 17 seconds will elapse during the trip. So when you get back, you will have experienced only 17 seconds, but clocks on Earth will have advanced by 20 minutes.

How did I calculate that? The key number is usually called ##\gamma##, and the equation for it is:

$$
\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}
$$

This ##\gamma## is the ratio of Earth time to elapsed time aboard your ship, if you travel out and come back at a constant speed ##v##. (We are ignoring any effects due to the fact that you have to accelerate to start the trip, then again when you turn around, and finally when you stop to land back on Earth.) For ##v = 0.9999 c##, the above equation gives ##\gamma \approx 70.7##.

More on Wikipedia here (Wikipedia calls ##\gamma## the "Lorentz factor"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

darrin016 said:
How long would someone need to travel at light, according to time in the ship.. To have a big effect on time change when they come back to the planet?

The ##\gamma## factor tells you that. For example, if you wanted to know how much time would elapse on the ship if 1000 years had elapsed on Earth clocks when you got back, just divide 1000 by ##\gamma## for your speed. For the same speed as above, this gives ##1000 / 70.7## or about 14.1 years.

darrin016 said:
Exactly, so let's say I went there and back at basically speed of light. Would I come back to a 8 year in the future earth? Or since I was traveling 8 years in the ship at light speed. Would I come back to a Earth way farther into the future?

Why would you come back way farther in the future? I don't really get what your issue is. I'm not a physicist, or particular knowledgeable about this subject, but certain things about relativity seem pretty easy to understand. One, you can't go the speed of light. Two, the closer you get to speed of light the slower time goes. Three, time on Earth would be unaffected by your trip. So if you where going 99.9999999 percent of the speed of light to that star and back then somewhere between 8 and 9 years would have passed on earth, and very little time would have passed for you.

Last edited:
darrin016 said:
I know it's not possible guys.
Let's say .0001 to the speed of light okay.

It's quite simple, if you traveled back and forth close to light speed for 20 minutes "Earth's time", as far as the Earth is concerned you were gone for 20 minutes. What you probably want to know is that according to your own clock you would have been gone less than 20 minutes. How much less than 20 minutes depends on how close to light speed you traveled. Here are a few we examples:

@ 86.6% of c (light speed) your clock would say the trip was approximately 10 minutes

@ 99% c, less than 3 minutes

@ 99.99% c, less than .3 minutes or less than 54 seconds

That should help you get the general idea.

PeterDonis said:
Since you specified 20 minutes of Earth time, then 20 minutes will have elapsed on Earth when you return. How could it be anything different, since you explicitly said 20 minutes of *Earth* time?

Of course, since you are traveling at 0.9999 times the speed of light, then by your clock on the ship, only 17 seconds will elapse during the trip. So when you get back, you will have experienced only 17 seconds, but clocks on Earth will have advanced by 20 minutes.

How did I calculate that? The key number is usually called ##\gamma##, and the equation for it is:

$$
\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}
$$

This ##\gamma## is the ratio of Earth time to elapsed time aboard your ship, if you travel out and come back at a constant speed ##v##. (We are ignoring any effects due to the fact that you have to accelerate to start the trip, then again when you turn around, and finally when you stop to land back on Earth.) For ##v = 0.9999 c##, the above equation gives ##\gamma \approx 70.7##.

More on Wikipedia here (Wikipedia calls ##\gamma## the "Lorentz factor"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor
The ##\gamma## factor tells you that. For example, if you wanted to know how much time would elapse on the ship if 1000 years had elapsed on Earth clocks when you got back, just divide 1000 by ##\gamma## for your speed. For the same speed as above, this gives ##1000 / 70.7## or about 14.1 years.
Peter you are the man for all those answers. That's exactly what I was looking for, an equation to figure out all that stuff lol

And so if 20 minutes pass on Earth witch means 17 seconds about in light time.. How can 17 seconds pass when in reality that light has been gone for 20 minutes. I know I would only feel 17 seconds being gone. But technically I would have really been gone 20 minutes not 17 seconds. Does this make light actually younger than it really is? Let's say a light from a star took 1 million light years to reach us, that light is 1million standard years old. But to be light since it's been moving so fast, it thinks it's only for example 100 years old correct?

Maxila said:
It's quite simple, if you traveled back and forth close to light speed for 20 minutes "Earth's time", as far as the Earth is concerned you were gone for 20 minutes. What you probably want to know is that according to your own clock you would have been gone less than 20 minutes. How much less than 20 minutes depends on how close to light speed you traveled. Here are a few we examples:

@ 86.6% of c (light speed) your clock would say the trip was approximately 10 minutes

@ 99% c, less than 3 minutes

@ 99.99% c, less than .3 minutes or less than 54 seconds

That should help you get the general idea.

It does. Thank you very much.

darrin016 said:
And so if 20 minutes pass on Earth witch means 17 seconds about in light time..

I would recommend that you stop thinking of it as "light time". It's "spaceship time". The concept of "elapsed time" does not make sense for light. Wherever I'm responding to a question you ask about "light time" below, I'm actually responding to the question with "light time" changed to "spaceship time".

darrin016 said:
How can 17 seconds pass when in reality that light has been gone for 20 minutes.

"In reality" there is no unique "time" that you have been gone. Time is relative. I know your intuition says that there should be one "real" time, and that the "spaceship time" is somehow "not real"; but that intuition is wrong, and you need to unlearn it if you want to understand relativity.

darrin016 said:
Does this make light actually younger than it really is?

No, of course not. "How young" the spaceship is is just how much time has elapsed on the spaceship's clock. *That* is not relative; all observers will agree that 17 seconds elapsed on the spaceship's clock between its departure and return.

1. How is it possible for Earth to be in the future if time travel at light speed is not yet possible?

While time travel at light speed is not currently possible with our current technology and understanding of physics, it is a theoretical concept that has been explored by scientists and physicists. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can be affected by the speed at which an object is moving. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object relative to an outside observer. So, while we may not have the technology to travel at light speed yet, it is theoretically possible for time to pass differently for an object moving at this speed.

2. What would happen to the Earth's inhabitants if it traveled to the future at light speed?

If the Earth were to travel to the future at light speed, the inhabitants of the Earth would experience time passing differently. Depending on the duration of the journey and the speed at which the Earth is traveling, the inhabitants could potentially experience a significant time difference compared to those who are not on the Earth. For example, if the Earth traveled at light speed for 10 years, the inhabitants may only experience a few years passing, while those not on the Earth would have experienced a full 10 years. This is due to the time dilation effect mentioned in the previous answer.

3. Would the Earth's position in the universe change if it traveled to the future at light speed?

While the Earth's position in the universe may change due to its own natural orbit, traveling to the future at light speed would not significantly alter its position in the universe. This is because the speed of light is incredibly fast, but it is not infinite. Therefore, even if the Earth were to travel at light speed for a significant amount of time, it would still only have traveled a relatively small distance in the grand scale of the universe.

4. Could time travel at light speed potentially cause any negative effects on Earth or its inhabitants?

Theoretically, time travel at light speed could potentially have negative effects on the Earth and its inhabitants. One potential issue is the potential for time paradoxes, where an event in the past could be altered or erased by traveling to the future and changing the outcome. Additionally, the physical effects of traveling at such high speeds could also have negative consequences on the Earth and its inhabitants, such as radiation exposure.

5. Is there any evidence or experiments that support the possibility of time travel at light speed?

While there is currently no concrete evidence or experiments that prove the possibility of time travel at light speed, there have been some studies and experiments that have shown the effects of time dilation. For example, the famous "twin paradox" experiment where one twin travels at high speeds while the other remains on Earth has shown that the traveling twin will experience less time passing than the twin on Earth. Additionally, advancements in technology and our understanding of physics continue to bring us closer to potentially achieving time travel at light speed in the future.