Topology generated by a collection of subsets of ##X##

In summary, the topology ##σ(A)## on ##X## that satisfies the given conditions can be constructed as the intersection of all topologies that contain ##A##, which is a topology by the closure properties of finite intersections and arbitrary unions.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a set and ##\mathcal A \subset \mathcal P(X)##. Prove that there is a topology ##σ(A)## on ##X## that satisfies

(i) every element of ##A## is open for ##σ(A)##

(ii) if ##\tau## is a topology on ##X## such that every element of ##\mathcal A## is open for ##\tau##, then ##σ(A) \subset \tau##

The attempt at a solution.

I suppose the idea is to construct the smallest possible topology which contains ##\mathcal A##

As the elements of ##\mathcal A## have to be open, then each ##U \in A## has to be in ##σ(A)##. Also, ##X,\emptyset## have to be in ##σ(A)##.

Since ##σ(A)## has to be closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions, I'll have to add all sets that come from finite intersections of ##X## with elements of ##\mathcal A##.

So my idea was to define ##σ(A)=\{S \subset X : S=\bigcap_{i \in I} U_i, U_i \in \mathcal A, I \text{finite}\} \cup \{X\}## but when I've tried to show that ##σ(A)## was a topology I got stuck, so I don't know if that set works.

It is clear that ##X \in σ(A)##, and that if ##S_j \in σ(A)## for ##j \in J## with ##J## finite, then since ##S_j=\bigcap_{k=1}^{s_j} U_k##, ##\bigcap_{j \in J} S_j=\bigcap_{j \in J} (\bigcap_{k=1}^{s_j} U_k)##, which is clearly a finite intersection of elements in ##σ(A)##. The problem is with arbitrary unions, I couldn't show that arbitrary unions remain in ##σ(A)##. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a much slicker way to do this. Hint: the intersection of an arbitrary number of topologies is a topology.

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
There's a much slicker way to do this. Hint: the intersection of an arbitrary number of topologies is a topology.

... as long as that arbitrary number isn't 0.

Likes 1 person
gopher_p said:
... as long as that arbitrary number isn't 0.
Yes! Good catch. The OP will need to show that there is at least one suitable topology being intersected to form his desired topology.

jbunniii said:
Oh, ##\bigcap_{i \in I, \mathcal A \subset \tau_i} T_i##, the intersection of all topologies which contain ##\mathcal A## is a topology (I've verified that intersection of an arbitrary number different from ##0## of topologies is a topology, and if ##\tau## is a topology such that every element in ##\mathcal A## is open in ##\tau##, this implies ##\mathcal A \subset \tau##, but then ##\bigcap_{i \in I, \mathcal A \subset \tau_i} T_i \subset \tau##. Thanks very much for the super hint, is this correct now?

mahler1 said:
Oh, ##\bigcap_{i \in I, \mathcal A \subset \tau_i} T_i##, the intersection of all topologies which contain ##\mathcal A## is a topology (I've verified that intersection of an arbitrary number different from ##0## of topologies is a topology, and if ##\tau## is a topology such that every element in ##\mathcal A## is open in ##\tau##, this implies ##\mathcal A \subset \tau##, but then ##\bigcap_{i \in I, \mathcal A \subset \tau_i} T_i \subset \tau##. Thanks very much for the super hint, is this correct now?
Yes. The intersection is not empty because ##\mathcal{P}(X)## is a topology containing ##A##. Any topology containing ##A## must be one of the ##T_i##, so it contains the intersection.

This kind of argument is used all the time. "The intersection of all _____ with property P (assuming there is at least one) is a _____ with property P, and therefore it is the smallest such _____." It's an elegant and standard argument, but completely nonconstructive and so it may not give much insight into what the elements of the intersection actually look like.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and the relationships between them. It is concerned with the notion of continuity, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics.

What is the topology generated by a collection of subsets of X?

The topology generated by a collection of subsets of X, also known as the topology induced by the collection, is the smallest topology that contains all the given subsets. It is defined as the collection of all unions of finite intersections of the given subsets.

How is the topology generated by a collection of subsets of X different from other topologies?

The topology generated by a collection of subsets of X is unique in that it is the smallest topology that contains the given subsets. This means that it is the most efficient way to define a topology on a space, as it only includes the necessary sets for continuity to be preserved.

Why is the topology generated by a collection of subsets of X important?

The topology generated by a collection of subsets of X is important because it allows us to define a topology on a space in a systematic and efficient way. It also allows us to compare different topologies on the same space and determine which one is more suitable for a given problem.

How is the topology generated by a collection of subsets of X used in practical applications?

The topology generated by a collection of subsets of X is used in various branches of mathematics, such as analysis, geometry, and algebraic topology. It is also used in physics, computer science, and other fields where the concept of continuity is important.