Definite Double Integral of a single variable

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation written in a notebook, in which the variables and constants are not clearly defined. The individual attempts to solve the equation involve hand-waving and using a Riemann sum, but it is not clear if this is the correct approach without more information about the variables. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the problem statement.
Narroo

Homework Statement

This isn't actually homework. I was messing around in my notebook trying something when I ended up writing something to the effect of this:

[itex] dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ[/itex]
[itex]R(1+α dT) dT = V^{2}dQ[/itex]
Where α and V are constants.

Now, I'm fairly sure what I had done made no sense physical and I screwed up, which is fine, but as I wrote this, I realized something: I'm not sure how to solve this, or if this is even a valid equation

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I tried integrating with a naive and hopeful glimmer in my eye:
[itex]RΔT+\frac{a}{2}ΔT^{2}= V^{2}Q[/itex]

Where [itex]ΔT=T_{2}-T_{1}[/itex]
You see, I'm interested in a definite integral, I'm interested in the change between [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and [itex]T_{2}[/itex].

Now, I'm pretty sure this is wrong enough to make someone cry, so I'll just leave it at that as ask where I went wrong and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Narroo said:

Homework Statement

This isn't actually homework. I was messing around in my notebook trying something when I ended up writing something to the effect of this:

[itex] dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ[/itex]
[itex]R(1+α dT) dT = V^{2}dQ[/itex]
Where α and V are constants.

Now, I'm fairly sure what I had done made no sense physical and I screwed up, which is fine, but as I wrote this, I realized something: I'm not sure how to solve this, or if this is even a valid equation

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I tried integrating with a naive and hopeful glimmer in my eye:
[itex]RΔT+\frac{a}{2}ΔT^{2}= V^{2}Q[/itex]

Where [itex]ΔT=T_{2}-T_{1}[/itex]
You see, I'm interested in a definite integral, I'm interested in the change between [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and [itex]T_{2}[/itex].

Now, I'm pretty sure this is wrong enough to make someone cry, so I'll just leave it at that as ask where I went wrong and why?

Having no reference for what the constants ##\alpha## and ##V## and the variables (?) ##Q##, ##R##, and ##T## are intended to represent, there is no reason why the equation $$\Delta T = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α \Delta T)} \Delta Q$$ or its "differential brother" $$dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ$$ can't model some physical system.

If your end goal it to integrate something (and it looks like it is) then the hand-waver would look at $$RdT+\alpha R dT^2=V^2 dQ$$ and say something along the lines of,

For small ##dT##, the ##\alpha R dT^2## term is negligible, so we have ##RdT=V^2 dQ##. Thus we can say ##\int\limits_{T_1}^{T_2}RdT=\int\limits_{Q_1}^{Q_2}V^2 dQ##

The key reason why the "negligible term" business works is because, in the case where ##f## is an integrable function, we have

$$
\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n\left(f(x_i)(\Delta x)^2\right)
=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(\Delta x\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x\right)
=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x
=0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition.

gopher_p said:
Having no reference for what the constants ##\alpha## and ##V## and the variables (?) ##Q##, ##R##, and ##T## are intended to represent, there is no reason why the equation $$\Delta T = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α \Delta T)} \Delta Q$$ or its "differential brother" $$dT = \frac{V^{2}}{R(1+α dT)}dQ$$ can't model some physical system.

If your end goal it to integrate something (and it looks like it is) then the hand-waver would look at $$RdT+\alpha R dT^2=V^2 dQ$$ and say something along the lines of,

The key reason why the "negligible term" business works is because, in the case where ##f## is an integrable function, we have

$$
=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x
=0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition.

Thanks. But, I'm not really interested in handing waving the odd term away. I'm interested in how I'd actually solve the equation exactly.

What gopher_p did is NOT "hand waving" he showed why [itex]\int\int dx dx= 0 [/itex] for any variable x.

HallsofIvy said:
What gopher_p did is NOT "hand waving" he showed why [itex]\int\int dx dx= 0 [/itex] for any variable x.

Sorry, I miss-read it. That said, there are two things I do not understand:
In the following:
$$
=0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition

Why does ΔX come out of the sum? Why can I write
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x[/itex]

I can't write [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x^{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)[/itex] can I?

And secondly, wouldn't [itex]\int\int dx dx= \frac{1}{2}x^{2}? [/itex]

Narroo said:
Why does ΔX come out of the sum?

If you have a regular partition, the ##\Delta x## is constant with respect to the sum; ##\frac{b-a}{n}## is independent of ##i##.

Why can I write
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x[/itex]

I can't write [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x^{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)[/itex] can I?

You can write it the second way, but that doesn't help you evaluate the limit. It's likely that ##\sum\limits_{i=1}^nf(x_i)## is not a convergent sequence.

Narroo said:
Sorry, I miss-read it. That said, there are two things I do not understand:
In the following:
$$
=0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$ for ##\Delta x=\frac{b-a}{n}## a regular partition

Why does ΔX come out of the sum? Why can I write

And secondly, wouldn't [itex]\int\int dx dx= \frac{1}{2}x^{2}? [/itex]

If ##\Delta x = \frac{b-a}{n}##, then as ##n → ∞##, ##\Delta x → 0##.

Notice ##\Delta x## is independent of the summation index ##i##, and can therefore be pulled outside of the sum.

The other part is a Riemann sum, which converges to an integral:

$$=(\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\Delta x) (\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x)
=0\cdot\int_a^bf(x)\ dx=0$$

More to the point though, without knowing what ##T## is exactly, the problem hasn't been stated clearly.

Zondrina said:
More to the point though, without knowing what ##T## is exactly, the problem hasn't been stated clearly.

T is an independent variable of the system in question. Actually, the equation was dependent on the change in T, ΔT, not T itself, which is why the integral was definite.

And thanks for clearing everything up everyone!

1. What is a definite double integral of a single variable?

A definite double integral of a single variable is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional curve. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it within a specific range of values.

2. How is a definite double integral of a single variable different from a regular integral?

A definite double integral of a single variable is different from a regular integral because it involves integrating a function with respect to two variables instead of just one. This means that it calculates the volume under a three-dimensional surface rather than just the area under a curve.

3. What is the purpose of using a definite double integral of a single variable?

The purpose of using a definite double integral of a single variable is to accurately calculate the area or volume under a complex curve or surface. It is a valuable tool in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering.

4. What are the limits of integration in a definite double integral of a single variable?

The limits of integration in a definite double integral of a single variable represent the range of values for each of the two variables being integrated. These limits determine the area or volume being calculated and must be carefully chosen to ensure an accurate result.

5. Can a definite double integral of a single variable be used to find the average value of a function?

Yes, a definite double integral of a single variable can be used to find the average value of a function. This is done by dividing the integrated function by the range of values being integrated and then evaluating the result.