Two varibale function. Continuity, derivability and differentiability

In summary, the function f(x,y) = \frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2} is continuous everywhere except at (0,0) and is not differentiable at (0,0) due to the directional derivative not being linearly dependent on α and β. The partial derivatives of f(x,y) are continuous in a neighborhood of (0,0), but not at (0,0).
Dansuer

Homework Statement

Discuss the continuity, derivability and differentiability of the function

[itex]f(x,y) = \frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2}[/itex] if (x,y)≠(0,0) and 0 otherwise

Homework Equations

if f is differentiable then [itex]∇f.v=\frac{∂f}{∂v}[/itex]
if f has both continuous partial derivative in a neighbourhood of [itex]x_0[/itex] then it's differentiable in [itex]x_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem with continuity.
For derivability i consider the definition of directional derivative in an arbitray direction (α,β)
[itex]\frac{f(αt,βt)-f(0,0)}{t}=\frac{α^3t^3-0}{t^3}=α^3[/itex]
all the directional derivatives exist.
this equation [itex]∇f.v=\frac{∂f}{∂v}[/itex] tells me that the directional derivative should depend linearly on α and β which is not the case, f is not differentialble in [itex]x_0[/itex]

on the other hand it's easy to calculate the partial derivatives in a neighborood of (0,0) and see that they are continous.
[itex]f(x,0)=x \ \ \ f(0,y)=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}f(x,0)=1 \ \ \ \frac{∂}{∂y}f(0,y)=0[/itex]

i get two different results with two different approaches and i can't figure out what's wrong with one of them, or both :tongue2:

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The partial derivatives are not continuous. To see this, compute either of them at ##p \neq (0,0)## and take the limit as ##p \rightarrow 0##.

If I am not mistaken, what you showed is that the functions ## f_x(x,0), f_y(0,y)## of one variable (the other being fixed to zero) are continuous.

Likes 1 person
Oh i see what's the problem. Thanks a lot for the help :biggrin:

What is a two variable function?

A two variable function is a mathematical function that takes two independent variables and produces a single dependent variable. It can be written in the form f(x,y) = z, where x and y are the independent variables and z is the dependent variable.

What does continuity mean in a two variable function?

In a two variable function, continuity means that the function is unbroken and has no abrupt changes or discontinuities. This means that as the independent variables change, the dependent variable changes smoothly and continuously.

What is derivability in a two variable function?

Derivability in a two variable function refers to the ability to find the rate of change or slope of the function at a specific point. This is done by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable.

What is differentiability in a two variable function?

Differentiability in a two variable function means that the function is both continuous and derivable at a specific point. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at that point.

How can I determine if a two variable function is continuous, derivable, and differentiable?

To determine if a two variable function is continuous, derivable, and differentiable, you can use mathematical techniques such as the limit definition of continuity, the definition of a partial derivative, and the criteria for differentiability. You can also visually inspect the function and look for any abrupt changes or breaks, which would indicate a lack of continuity, derivability, or differentiability.