Neutron Star Evolution and Possible Blackhole Formation in Proton Star Collapse

In summary: Is this what you are trying to say?The process of an expanding universe is causing the stars to get bigger. However, the expansion is speeding up, so eventually the stars will become too big and they will become black holes.
Spin_Network
Are Neutron Stars the major factors of Proton Stars?

:http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0506092

Why do Neutron Stars evolve from Proton Star collapse, and what is the next evolving stage?..if any?

:http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0506100

Can a further collapse occur that does 'not' produce a Blackhole form Neutron Stars?..if Neutron Stars are collecting around all Galactic Cores, does all the Neutrons that go into the actual Mass decay at a normal 'neutron-decay' rates?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can a further collapse occur that does 'not' produce a Blackhole form Neutron Stars?..if Neutron Stars are collecting around all Galactic Cores, does all the Neutrons that go into the actual Mass decay at a normal 'neutron-decay' rates?
There doesn't appear to be any kind of object between a neutron star and a black hole. Neutrons in a neutron star do not decay.

mathman said:
There doesn't appear to be any kind of object between a neutron star and a black hole. Neutrons in a neutron star do not decay.

Thats what I understand the case to be?..but I was not quite sure.

So all the Neutrons in Neutron Stars remain forever within those Stars?..they do not get transferred by any process, so there should be an enormous number of actual Neutron Stars in Existence, being that the process they emerge from is more likely to produce Neutron Stars over Blackhole Holes?

The ratio of Stars that can end up as Neutron Stars far outway the 'specific' large mass Stars that end up as Blackholes?..so this means that since the first Stars appeared in the early Universe, there should be a rather greater number of Neutron Stars due to the great number of ordinary Stars that have reached the stage outside of main sequence? is there any data confirming this fact?

Thanks.

I don't have any census figures. However, average stars and smaller (like our sun) eventually end up as white dwarfs, not neutron stars.

mathman said:
I don't have any census figures. However, average stars and smaller (like our sun) eventually end up as white dwarfs, not neutron stars.

Thanks mathman, I understand the evolution of Main Sequence Stars(average), but there seems to be a contradiction, actually its more of a lack of understanding on my part, but nevertheless.lets say that the Universe has variable Phase's, Time-stamped into three evolving Dynamical process:

Expansion, Contraction and Equilibrium/Steady State.

Now as far as I understand, the MS has a specific timeline, it needs a epoch of certain time to produce the vast number of popular Stars, which would have to 'slot' into a period of Expansion-Contraction-SteadyState, but if there are ALL three Dynamical process's, there will be a governing epoch that will favour MS-Stars, the Steady State for instance. Now if the main sequence Stars are themselves, evolving to white dwarfs, then this would imply that most Stars are 'smaller' (obvious..that why their called dwarfs), initially than those Stars that end up as Neutron Stars?..Neutron Stars should have their initial Mass of such a great size,that they should be remnants of an EARLY Universal time?..they should not be around this epoch!

Early Stars have a starting Mass vastly greater than current Stars, but the Early Universe was unstable, the Expansion process's were not the environment that could sustain Stars over long periods, the only process I know of Stars Growing..or get increased Mass is when they merge, or combine, thus Stars that merge and get Larger and Larger..until their Mass is Sufficient enough to cause the Neutron Star to be the end product , so Neutron Stars need Steady State, but the Steady State would then imply a longer Time for more Neutron merging Stars?

Does Neutron Stars that merge produce Blackholes?, or would they actually be more likely to attract vunerable Main Sequence Stars?

It would seem that Galactic Blackholes would be less likely, but Galactic Core be more than likely the location of Neutron Stars, which would imply that Galaxies cores, 'grow' by fact of Neutron Star merging?

All the mass at the Galactic core may be the result of Neutron Stars, rather than an actual Blackholes, because of the 'Steady State' process of Galactic Stellar evolution TIME process's?

Again, I don't have detailed figures. However, for a star to become a neutron star. it doesn't have to be too much bigger than our sun. Black hole end points start from somewhat larger stars. If neutron stars collide, whether or not it ends up as a black hole depends simply on the combined size.

I don't understand what you mean by expansion-contraction-steady state? Current theory has the universe expanding and also the expansion is speeding up.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense celestial object that is formed from the collapse of a massive star during a supernova explosion. It is composed primarily of neutrons and has a strong gravitational pull.

2. How does a neutron star evolve?

After its formation, a neutron star continues to evolve through a process called cooling. This involves the emission of radiation as it releases its stored heat energy. Over time, a neutron star can also merge with other neutron stars or accrete matter from a companion star, which can affect its evolution.

3. What happens during a proton star collapse?

During a proton star collapse, the core of a massive star undergoes a rapid compression that causes the protons and electrons to combine and form neutrons. This results in the formation of a neutron star.

4. Can a neutron star become a black hole?

Yes, it is possible for a neutron star to become a black hole. This can happen if the neutron star exceeds its maximum mass limit, also known as the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit. This limit is estimated to be around 2-3 times the mass of the sun.

5. How do scientists study neutron star evolution and possible black hole formation?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study neutron star evolution and possible black hole formation, including observations from telescopes and simulations using computer models. By analyzing the properties and behaviors of neutron stars, scientists can gain a better understanding of their evolution and potential for black hole formation.