Finding the value of the ionization for an acid

In summary, the question asks for the value of Ka for a weak monoprotic acid with a hydrogen ion concentration of 0.001 mol/L in a 0.1 mol/L aqueous solution. The formula Ka=[H+] [A-] / [HA] can be used to find the value of Ka, but first the balanced equation must be determined and the stoichiometric proportions must be used to find the equilibrium concentration of [A-]. If the final answer is slightly different from the given options, the closest option should be chosen.
mister_mister3
So this is probably going to look like a ridiculously easy question, but I'm stumped. I have searched for hours looking for a formula to use, and I've given up on my text.

Question: A 0.1 mol/L aqueous solution of weak monoprotic acid has a hydrogen ion concentration of 0.001 mol/L. The value of the ionization, Ka, for this acid is:
a) 10^-6
b) 10^-2
c) 10^-3
d) 10^-5

Now I want to use the formula Ka=[H+] [A-] / [HA] whcih would give me
Ka= [0.001] [A-] / [0.1]. The answer makes no sense. I have no idea where to go next. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

THANKS@!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The Ka represents concentrations at equilibrium. the original concentration of the acid is .100mol/L, find the equilibrium concentration. Assume that .001 mol/L of acid has dissociated.

Moderator Note : Nerro, do not post complete solutions to homework problems. That rarely helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP : Start with the balanced equation. You can not do much without the balanced equation down on paper (or in your head). From there, use the stoichiometric proportions (as GCT suggested) to find the value of [A-] at equilibrium.

If the final answer you get is a little off from one of the options, pick the closest choice (there should be one that's within about 2% of your calculation).

Since my complete answer is apparently a little over the top (I figured after a week he should have figured it out anyway). Here's a hint: If there is only one acid in solution and a certain amount of H+ is in solution. How much of the acid will have deprotonated to supply those hydrogen ions?

1. What is the ionization value of an acid?

The ionization value of an acid refers to the extent to which it can dissociate into ions when dissolved in water. It is often represented by the acid dissociation constant (Ka) or the percent ionization (%ion).

2. How is the ionization value of an acid determined?

The ionization value of an acid can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of the acid and its conjugate base in a solution and using the Ka or %ion formula. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the acid's pKa value and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

3. What factors affect the ionization value of an acid?

The ionization value of an acid can be affected by factors such as the strength of the acid, temperature, solvent, and the presence of other ions. A stronger acid will have a higher ionization value, while factors like high temperature or a polar solvent can increase the ionization value by making it easier for the acid to dissociate into ions.

4. What is the relationship between the ionization value and the strength of an acid?

The ionization value and the strength of an acid are directly proportional. A stronger acid will have a higher ionization value, meaning it can dissociate into ions more easily in a solution. Conversely, a weaker acid will have a lower ionization value and will not dissociate as easily.

5. How does the ionization value of an acid affect its properties and behavior?

The ionization value of an acid directly affects its acidity and reactivity. A higher ionization value means a stronger acid, which will have a lower pH and be more reactive in chemical reactions. A lower ionization value means a weaker acid, which will have a higher pH and be less reactive.