Easy problem still wrong answer

• Thread starter melissa_y
  • Start date
In summary, to move a proton from a point with a potential of +630V to a point where it is -60.0V, the work needed is calculated using the equation (Va-Vb)=Wba/q, which results in Wba=-1.104 x 10^-16 J. However, the answer may differ depending on whether the work is being done by the electric field or an external force, as the presence of negative signs can change the result. The ambiguity of the question and the frustration caused by negative signs can lead to difficulty in obtaining the correct answer.
melissa_y
How much work is needed to move a proton from a point with a potential of +630V to a point where it is -60.0V?

Ok so wouldn't I just use the equation:

(Va-Vb)=Wba/q
(-60-630)=Wba/(1.6 x 10^-19)
Wba=-1.104 x 10^-16 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks fine to me. What's the answer you expected?

Wba=-1.104 x 10^-16 J

But i keep entering it into the CAPA and it says wrong answer...

Try it without the negative sign.

The question is ambiguous, since it doesn't specify who or what is doing the work. If it's the electric field, then the answer is negative. If it's an external force, the answer is positive.

haha i love problems that are so simple yet you don't get an answer. Makes me start pounding on walls. Something simple has obviously gone unnoticed or like someone said, a negative sign is probably missing. Those negative signs piss me off to no end. Everytime i learn something where I am told the answer is always positive, i go to church for 40 hours straight to thank god for all the good he has done in the world such as the current subject i was just taught.

I truly hate negatives...

1. What is the "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon?

The "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon refers to the common occurrence in scientific research where a seemingly simple problem is approached and solved, but the answer or solution is ultimately found to be incorrect or inaccurate.

2. How does the "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon affect scientific progress?

This phenomenon can greatly hinder scientific progress, as it can lead researchers down the wrong path and waste time and resources on incorrect solutions. It can also delay the discovery of the correct answer or solution to a problem.

3. What are some common causes of the "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon?

Some common causes include oversimplification of a problem, flawed assumptions or methodologies, and human error or bias. It can also occur when new or limited data is used to make conclusions.

4. How can scientists avoid falling into the trap of the "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon?

To avoid this phenomenon, scientists should thoroughly review and critique their own work, seek out feedback and collaboration from other experts, and constantly strive to improve and refine their methodologies. They should also remain open-minded and willing to revise their conclusions based on new evidence.

5. Is the "easy problem still wrong answer" phenomenon unique to scientific research?

No, this phenomenon can also occur in other fields such as business, technology, and everyday problem-solving. However, in scientific research, it is especially important to be aware of and address this issue due to the potential impact on human health and well-being.