Is the overall charge of the universe positive, negative, or neutral?

In summary, there is currently no evidence to support the idea of a charged universe. Mainstream astronomy operates on the assumption that gravity is the only force acting at astronomical distances. There have been no observed reactions that would suggest the universe is not neutral, and it would be difficult to test due to the complexity of defining charge in a universal sense. There is also a question about why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe, but this does not necessarily imply a violation of charge conservation.
darkar
Is there any indication that the overall charge of universe is postitive, negative or neutral?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no evidence of a charged universe of which I am aware. Mainstream astronomy assumes with considerably success that the only force acting at astronomical distances is gravity.

darkar said:
Is there any indication that the overall charge of universe is postitive, negative or neutral?

It would be virtually impossible to test whether the universe is exactly neutral, though I suppose the discovery of a reaction in which charge is not conserved would strongly suggest that it isn't. I'm pretty sure no such reaction has been observed.

So, this imply that the universe is neutral?

If the universe was multiply connected, it would be even harder to define the total charge.

Also General Relativity makes it hard to give a universal definition of positive or negative.

It would be virtually impossible to test whether the universe is exactly neutral, though I suppose the discovery of a reaction in which charge is not conserved would strongly suggest that it isn't. I'm pretty sure no such reaction has been observed.

I thought I had heared that on (don't no the exact value for X, but it is very big) X particles there are created Y anti particles where Y<X and nobody knows where these anti particles are that should be there.

Kruger said:
I thought I had heared that on (don't no the exact value for X, but it is very big) X particles there are created Y anti particles where Y<X and nobody knows where these anti particles are that should be there.

Violation of matter-antimatter symmetry doesn't necessarily imply violation of charge conservation, but yes, there is a question about why there's more matter in the universe than antimatter.

What is the overall charge of the universe?

The overall charge of the universe is neutral. This means that the total amount of positive charge is equal to the total amount of negative charge.

How do scientists determine the overall charge of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the overall charge of the universe. One approach is to measure the amount of matter and antimatter in the universe and compare their charges. Other methods involve studying the behavior of charged particles in the universe and analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Can the overall charge of the universe change?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the overall charge of the universe can change. However, as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is possible that new discoveries may reveal changes in the overall charge.

What implications does the neutral charge of the universe have on the laws of physics?

The neutral charge of the universe has significant implications on the laws of physics. It suggests that there is a balance between matter and antimatter, and that the universe is electrically neutral. This reinforces the idea that the laws of physics are consistent and apply universally throughout the universe.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the overall charge of the universe is not neutral?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the overall charge of the universe is not neutral. However, there are ongoing scientific studies and experiments that are continually seeking to better understand the structure and composition of the universe, so this could change in the future.