Operating Systems - How Were They Made?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation discusses the history of operating systems and the languages used to create them. It is mentioned that by 1973, the UNIX kernel was rewritten in the powerful C language. The conversation also touches on the use of assembly language and its role in creating operating systems. It is noted that the Xerox Alto was the first personal computer with a desktop and a mouse, which served as the basis for the Mac. Additionally, it is stated that Unix came before DOS and was considered a superior operating system due to its features such as networking and protected memory.
JamesU
Gold Member
I'm kinda curious on how operating systems were originally made. anyone have an answer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
assembly? setting gates and bits to switch flags for specific hardware?

that would be my guess...that is assembly to DOS to graphics.h to
windows/unix.

what I meant was: what languages were used in the computer? I was too vague, sorry

yomamma said:
what I meant was: what languages were used in the computer? I was too vague, sorry
wikipedia said:
By 1973, the C language had become powerful enough that most of the UNIX kernel, originally written in PDP-11/20 assembly language, was rewritten in C.

That tells you what Unix was originally programmed with, and reprogrammed with.

A little assembly, but mostly C.

neurocomp2003 said:
assembly? setting gates and bits to switch flags for specific hardware?

that would be my guess...that is assembly to DOS to graphics.h to
windows/unix.

err.. no.

it was Human based manipulation of registers

to

assembly

to

UNIX

to

a billion other little OSs in the late 70's and 80's (yes, that includes Windows, DOS Mac OS, linux, freebsd, etc)

Was Mac the first OS with a desktop and a mouse, instead of a command line and a keyboard?

really unix came before dos?

neurocomp2003 said:
really unix came before dos?

Oh my gosh... are you serious?

yes, Unix came out years and years before DOS. DOS was a POS OS that did not even support networking or protected memory. Unix had both of those in the 70's.

Before C, all operating system were programming in assembly

1. How were operating systems invented?

Operating systems were first invented in the 1950s and 1960s by computer scientists who were trying to find a way to efficiently manage the resources of a computer system. The first operating systems were developed for large mainframe computers and were used to manage tasks such as memory allocation and input/output operations.

2. What are the key components of an operating system?

The key components of an operating system include the kernel, which is responsible for managing system resources and providing a bridge between hardware and software, and the user interface, which allows users to interact with the system. Other important components include the file system, device drivers, and utilities for managing system tasks and settings.

3. How do operating systems work?

Operating systems work by managing the resources of a computer system and providing an interface for users to interact with the system. The kernel, which is the core of the operating system, is responsible for managing memory, scheduling tasks, and handling input/output operations. The user interface, whether it is a command line or a graphical user interface, allows users to interact with the system and run applications.

4. How have operating systems evolved over time?

Operating systems have evolved significantly since their invention in the 1950s. From the early mainframe systems, operating systems have become more user-friendly and powerful, with the introduction of graphical user interfaces, multitasking capabilities, and networking capabilities. They have also become more versatile, with the development of operating systems for mobile devices, servers, and embedded systems.

5. What is the role of operating systems in modern computing?

Operating systems play a crucial role in modern computing by providing a platform for applications to run and managing the resources of a computer system. They also provide security features, such as user authentication and access controls, and allow for the efficient use of hardware resources. Operating systems are constantly evolving to keep up with the advancements in technology and to meet the changing needs of users and businesses.