Digital Cameras: Do you Take Pictures?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, most people here take pictures occasionally, but no one takes a lot of pictures. Gosh your living in the stone age.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So how many people here actually take a lot of pictures? It seems like EVERYONE has a digital camera and there's so much digital camera crap with printers and such on the market... but I don't know anyone who actively takes a lot of pictures. Sure maybe a few a month... but no one seems to take a lot of pictures yet everyone has a digital camera (and many many newer 3MP+ cameras... not just ones they got back in the day and still have around)

Physics news on Phys.org
My digital camera was one of the earlier ones, so it's big and clunky and doesn't take great pictures, and eats batteries like crazy, so I don't use it very often. Most times when I'm doing something that's picture-worthy, I'm having too much fun and forget to take pictures. I do want to get a new camera though. If I had one small enough to drop in my purse when I go places, I might take more pictures.

i have a webcam, and i take loads of pictures with that, sadly, I'm confined to my bedroom... or the reaches of my laptop. If i had a nice camera... wow, what pictures i could take then!

Moonbear said:
If I had one small enough to drop in my purse when I go places, I might take more pictures.

Gosh your living in the stone age :D

They got ones that fit in the palm of your hands. My mother got a 6MP one thatsbasically a little bit bigger then a credit card and about as thick as those stupid cell phones EVERYONE has by motorola... lil thinner actually.

Unless your purse is like, 3" wide... therse a camera out there for you :D

moonbear, get a new camera, trust me. :wink:

Gale17 said:
i have a webcam, and i take loads of pictures with that, sadly, I'm confined to my bedroom... or the reaches of my laptop. If i had a nice camera... wow, what pictures i could take then!
Umm, ehh, hmm, let's see that thing live :tongue2:

Pengwuino said:
Gosh your living in the stone age :D

They got ones that fit in the palm of your hands. My mother got a 6MP one thatsbasically a little bit bigger then a credit card and about as thick as those stupid cell phones EVERYONE has by motorola... lil thinner actually.

Unless your purse is like, 3" wide... therse a camera out there for you :D
Oh, I know they make them, that's what I want...well, not quite credit card sized; I'd worry I'd snap it in half. :biggrin: They're not exactly cheap, and I'm not one to drop a few hundred bucks on something like a camera (the one I currently have was given to me as a gift, or I probably wouldn't have that either). I'm really seriously thinking about it now though, but just need time to decide which one I want...with something that expensive, I won't just buy the first shiny new thing I see. I want one with a decent quality optical zoom, long battery life, and I think those 5 MP cameras are more than I would ever need, so I'm going to wait for them to come out with more 6 MP cameras and I'll buy a 5 MP when they're cheaper.

Oh, but I'm catching up with technology...I'm finally going to get cable TV. :tongue: Just the very basic broadcast service because I can't get decent reception on rabbit ears here. And I have my cable modem all ready to get my cable internet at the same time. :biggrin: Now if my neighbors would just keep their damned airport on just one channel so I can set mine to not get interference, I'd be much happier. I don't know what the heck they are doing that their airport blinks on and off every 10 min or so, and seems to find a different channel every time, so every few times they hit my channel I think and my connection slows to a crawl. :grumpy: I'm thinking of renaming my base station to "I'm on Channel 1" to see if they figure it out since I don't know which neighbor it is yet. :rofl:

yomamma said:
moonbear, get a new camera, trust me. :wink:
Ooh, are you buying? :biggrin:

I have a camera, it is not digital but a video one.

I can't wait till they come out with The Enterprise Tricorder. This would be a phone/camera/video/radio/television/GPS/internet/movie/music thingy.

Just remember, it's not the resolution that counts, it's the quality of the image produced. The only thing a 7MP camera would be good for is zooming in on your picture on your computer. I would much rather have a 2MP camera with really good optics and sensors than a crappy vivitar 7MP.

Fujifilm has came out with a new type of sensor which is really just awesome. They will start coming out with more and more cameras with them included. Before you buy any camera, make sure to look at pictures taken by that actual camera. www.dpreview.com is a really good website.

zoobyshoe said:
I can't wait till they come out with The Enterprise Tricorder. This would be a phone/camera/video/radio/television/GPS/internet/movie/music thingy.
Doesn't it also do some basic medical diagnostics? Yep, when they come out with one of those, I might finally decide it's worth spending my money on that. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Doesn't it also do some basic medical diagnostics? Yep, when they come out with one of those, I might finally decide it's worth spending my money on that. :biggrin:
Oh yeah, I forgot. It could easily be rigged to do blood pressure, pulse, skin conductance (a rudimentary lie detector) and prolly glucose level.

Maybe a little radar unit, too.

This summer I took about 200 I think.

I used to take a ton of pictures, but I never used a digital camera. In fact, I rarely even developed the pictures. I have bags of used rolls of film stuffed in my closet still waiting to be developed. It was mostly because I was living sort of a hobo lifestyle for a couple years moving around the country a lot, taking road trips all the time and seeing all these places, having these fun times, and I felt like I had to document it all. I really haven't had any desire since to revisit them visually, though - my memories are vivid enough that it didn't really matter.

Digital cameras rule (to indulge in an expression the young folks use) because they allow you to instantly view and delete any shot. No more are you lumbered forever with all the negatives of shots you don't care for. And a huge number of shots can be stored on a very small card.

i take a looot of pictures and amateur videos...(mostly wildlife and nature stuff)
My Dad influence on me has been very great..
i use use my 35mm and my digital handycam(with 1MG Pixel stills)..

I take pictures for a living (xrays and CAT scans) so it's not something I usually do on the outside for enjoyment.

I have taken close to 1000 pics this summer, (850Mb@~2MB each in Ireland alone).

I have a 5MP camera with some reasonable optics. It does not make much sense to go over 5MP if you do not have decent optics to go with the resolution.

I've recently rediscovered photography. I have a digital camera (not a particularly good one) but I prefer to use my ordinary camera as it's much better. I still have half a film that I'm looking for an excuse to use. I have some good shots of York Minster, a ruined church at Wharram Percy and some Yorkshire Wolds landscapes that I want developed.

Yes - I have several thousand pictures, mostly slides, but I am catching up with digital images.

I have thousands of pictures of locomotives and freight cars, since I love railroads and build models, some with a fair amount of detail.

However, I also take photographs of nature. For example,

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6677.msg58915#msg58915

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6584.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6549.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6325.0 mostly my pictures

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6250.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6459.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6252.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6249.0

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,5159.msg58910#msg58910

Someone buy me a Nikon SLR digital camera. I want one but its $800 bucks. :cry:
nikon_d2h_pro_digital_slr.jpg

Astronuc is a Bob Ross of photographs, just take the afro and translate it into a beard. :smile:

Last edited:
When I bought my cell phone, I never thought I would use the camera as much as I do. I have over 120 saved pictures on my cell phone right now of random things I wanted to take a picture of... Also, whenever I'm in school and I need to have the information from some page of some book, I can just take a picture of it! Woot.

I just got the Canon Digital Rebel with a very sweet 28-105 Canon lens. 8 megapixels WITH fanstastic optics. I'm still delerious. 3 frames per second (1 per second with flash). So much better than film; you can fire away for a minute, then go back and delete all but the two or three good shots.

Only downside is...with this method, everyone will be a "good photographer" due to sheer luck and probabilities!

I used to be into slide photography and "Cibachrome" prints; 10 years ago I would have said (and I think I did say)"digital will never replace film photography; you just can't recreate the texture of the print."
Wrong!

I was going to upload a great shot I just took of my son in Boston, but the attachments won't allow a 4 megabyte photo. There is that problem.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Someone buy me a Nikon SLR digital camera. I want one but its $800 bucks.
I need to look into digital SLR's. The Kodak Easyshare DX6490 is OK for portraits and landscape, but closeup and long range zoom are problematic. The autofocus is not stable when zooming closeup, and taking the digital zoom is a problem if the exposure speed is too slow.

I have an old Canon F-1 from 1973, and a variety of zoom and telephoto lenses.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Astronuc is a Bob Ross of photographs, just take the afro and translate it into a beard.
:biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
I was going to upload a great shot I just took of my son in Boston, but the attachments won't allow a 4 megabyte photo. There is that problem.
My camera is 5 megapixels and you just can't get stuff that size onto the web. Large images are also RAM hogs I discovered and trying to play with effects in photoediting programs quickly overloaded my RAM many times. (Caution: the action you are about to perform requires a large amount of memory. Are you sure you want to proceed?) I'm stuck with having to resize (downsize) them first.

Tha advantage of a huge image, though, is that you can crop out small sections as your finished image and those will still have an amazing amount of information in them. I feel like every shot I take is the equivalent of an 8 x 10 inch negative rather than a 35mm one. At some point I can upgrade my RAM, but you can't upgrade a 1 or 2 MP shot, just like you can't upgrade a 35mm shot to a poster sized print. Since you can delete any bad shot in a second freeing up that space with no expediture of money to speak of, the cost of film is just about eliminated.

The closeup feature on my camera is astonishing: I turned it around once and took a shot of my own eye from two inches away and every little bit of peach fuzz is visible. Here's a small section, actual size, cropped out of the overall image:

ZoobEyeCrop.jpg

That was outdoors (lot's of light), and I'm sure I was lucky with not moving the camera as I pressed the shutter, but it clearly demonstrates what the camera is capable of.

I'm just learning how to squeeze these shots down far enough so the attachments will upload them. Jeez, it takes forever, does anyone have a convenient resizing application for photos on Mac?

Anyway. Introducing: Ben, Nell, and Simon

Attachments

• Ben.jpg
    Ben.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 365
  • Nell.jpg
    Nell.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Simn.jpg
    Simn.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 371
Chi, they're adorable!

I finally got that new camera for my trip to Disney (of course that was just my excuse to finally buy it, since you all know I was already wanting a new one :biggrin:). I did get one that's small enough to fit in my pocket, now I just need to remember to bring it with me when I go places. Once I get more in the habit of taking it with me, I'll use it more...there are always photo-ops when someone is saying they wished someone had a camera along.

Chi Meson said:
I'm just learning how to squeeze these shots down far enough so the attachments will upload them. Jeez, it takes forever, does anyone have a convenient resizing application for photos on Mac?
Possibly this:

http://www.yellowmug.com/easycrop/

but I don't have a mac myself.

Nell looks like a mini Bono with those glasses :cool: :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Tha advantage of a huge image, though, is that you can crop out small sections as your finished image and those will still have an amazing amount of information in them.

Yep. This was one of the primary criteria in my camera-buying. I got a 5MP so that could crop at will. Having a very high rez is a good substitute for a long zoom.

And I was blown away when I took a pic of a critter using my Macro!

DaveC426913 said:
Yep. This was one of the primary criteria in my camera-buying. I got a 5MP so that could crop at will. Having a very high rez is a good substitute for a long zoom.

And I was blown away when I took a pic of a critter using my Macro!
What brand you have? I got a Panasonic. 5 MP, 6x optical zoom. Through the lens viewing.

Pengwuino said:
So how many people here actually take a lot of pictures? It seems like EVERYONE has a digital camera and there's so much digital camera crap with printers and such on the market... but I don't know anyone who actively takes a lot of pictures. Sure maybe a few a month... but no one seems to take a lot of pictures yet everyone has a digital camera (and many many newer 3MP+ cameras... not just ones they got back in the day and still have around)
In 5 days at Lake Tahoe, I took 120 pictures. I also use it a lot for work - documenting job sites.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Nell looks like a mini Bono with those glasses :cool: :smile:
I thought more of an Elton John, but that's just how old I am.

<h2>1. How do digital cameras work?</h2><p>Digital cameras work by capturing light through a lens and converting it into digital data. This data is then stored on a memory card and can be viewed on the camera's LCD screen or transferred to a computer for editing and printing.</p><h2>2. What is the difference between a digital camera and a smartphone camera?</h2><p>The main difference between a digital camera and a smartphone camera is the quality of the images they produce. Digital cameras typically have larger sensors and more advanced lenses, resulting in higher quality images. They also offer more manual control over settings such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.</p><h2>3. How many megapixels do I need in a digital camera?</h2><p>The number of megapixels needed in a digital camera depends on your intended use for the photos. For general use and sharing on social media, 8-12 megapixels is sufficient. For professional photography and large prints, 20+ megapixels may be necessary.</p><h2>4. What is the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom?</h2><p>Optical zoom refers to the actual physical movement of the camera's lens to zoom in and out, resulting in high-quality images. Digital zoom, on the other hand, simply crops and enlarges a portion of the image, resulting in a loss of quality.</p><h2>5. How do I transfer photos from my digital camera to my computer?</h2><p>You can transfer photos from your digital camera to your computer by connecting the two devices with a USB cable or by removing the memory card from the camera and inserting it into a card reader on your computer. Some cameras also have built-in Wi-Fi capabilities for wireless transfer.</p>

1. How do digital cameras work?

Digital cameras work by capturing light through a lens and converting it into digital data. This data is then stored on a memory card and can be viewed on the camera's LCD screen or transferred to a computer for editing and printing.

2. What is the difference between a digital camera and a smartphone camera?

The main difference between a digital camera and a smartphone camera is the quality of the images they produce. Digital cameras typically have larger sensors and more advanced lenses, resulting in higher quality images. They also offer more manual control over settings such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

3. How many megapixels do I need in a digital camera?

The number of megapixels needed in a digital camera depends on your intended use for the photos. For general use and sharing on social media, 8-12 megapixels is sufficient. For professional photography and large prints, 20+ megapixels may be necessary.

4. What is the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom?

Optical zoom refers to the actual physical movement of the camera's lens to zoom in and out, resulting in high-quality images. Digital zoom, on the other hand, simply crops and enlarges a portion of the image, resulting in a loss of quality.

5. How do I transfer photos from my digital camera to my computer?

You can transfer photos from your digital camera to your computer by connecting the two devices with a USB cable or by removing the memory card from the camera and inserting it into a card reader on your computer. Some cameras also have built-in Wi-Fi capabilities for wireless transfer.