How many possible Sudoku boards are there?

• Thread starter ACG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sudoku
In summary, a conversation about Sudoku and a game based on it took place. The first question asked was about the number of possible Sudoku boards. The second question delved into the details of the game, where players perform operations on a 9x9 matrix until a valid Sudoku grid is created. The original idea for the game involved transposing rows and columns, but a starting matrix, ending matrix, and a rule guaranteeing at least one solution are needed to avoid an impossible game.
ACG
Hi! I've got a couple of questions about Sudoku.

1. How many possible Sudoku boards are there? That is, a 3x3 square of 3x3 blocks where (a) each block has the numbers 1-9 exactly once, and (b) each row and column of the resulting 9x9 matrix has the numbers 1-9 exactly once?

2. I'm trying to develop a game based on Sudoku. The basic premise is you start out with a 9x9 matrix of numbers and the two players keep on performing operations on the matrix until a valid Sudoku grid is created. Whoever finishes the grid wins. (The reverse, Rubik-style game is to start with a Sudoku grid or random bunch of numbers where each number appears 9 times and wind up with a matrix like

871234567...)

The original thing I had in mind would be this: start with a Sudoku grid and allow either player to transpose two rows or two columns. The uniqueness of the numbers in the rows and columns will be invariant under this transformation.

The catch is: I need a starting matrix, ending matrix, and a rule which will guarantee at least one possible solution. I don't want to make a game impossible to win.

Thanks in advance,

ACG

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://www.afjarvis.staff.shef.ac.uk/sudoku/sudoku.pdf

1. How many possible Sudoku boards are there?

The exact number of possible Sudoku boards is difficult to determine, but it has been estimated to be around 6.67 x 10^21. This number is calculated based on the number of possible combinations of numbers in each cell of a 9x9 Sudoku grid.

2. Can two Sudoku boards be identical?

No, it is not possible for two Sudoku boards to be identical. Each Sudoku board has a unique solution and the numbers are randomly placed, making it highly unlikely for two boards to be identical.

3. Are there any patterns or shortcuts to solving Sudoku?

While there are some strategies and techniques that can be used to solve Sudoku puzzles, there are no shortcuts or set patterns for solving them. Each puzzle is designed to be unique and requires logical reasoning and trial and error to solve.

4. How long would it take to solve every possible Sudoku board?

Assuming a person could solve one Sudoku board per minute, it would take approximately 6.67 x 10^21 minutes, or over 12 trillion years, to solve every possible Sudoku board.

5. Is there a limit to the number of digits that can be used in a Sudoku board?

Yes, a traditional Sudoku board uses the numbers 1-9, with each number appearing only once in each row, column, and 3x3 subgrid. However, some variations of Sudoku may use different numbers or allow for multiple digits in each cell.