Calculating fourier coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier series for the function f(x)=x and evaluating the integral from -pi to pi of -ixSin(nx) where n is infinity. The speaker is having difficulty finding integrals in the table for non-integer values of n and is asking for help understanding how to calculate the inner product for L^2 when n is infinity. The other person clarifies that n can only take on integer values and not infinity.
gravenewworld
I need to find the Fourier series for the function f(x)=x. I have come across trying to find the integral from -pi to pi of -ixSin(nx). How do I go about evaluating this integral when n is infinity? I seem to only be able to find integrals in an integral table where n is an integer, but not when n could be infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why in the world would you want to put infinity in the argument? It doesn't even mean anything.
You can calculate any Fourier coefficient you need, what more could you ask for?

Why in the world would you want to put infinity in the argument?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here. But the Fourier series definition I have for f(x) is Sum from n=-infinity to positive infinity of (f(x),en)en where en is the complete orthonormal seqeunce (2pi)^-1/2 *e^inx and the inner product ( , ) is for the hilbert space L^2(-pi, pi). So when n is +/- infinity how would I go about calculating the inner product for L^2?

Yes, you are misunderstanding! Saying that n "goes from -infinity to infinity" means that n takes on all integer values. n is never "infinity" because n is an integer and "infinity" is not even a real number, much less an integer.

What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are the numerical values that determine the amplitude and phase of each sine and cosine function in the Fourier series. They represent the contribution of each frequency component to the overall function.

How do you calculate Fourier coefficients?

To calculate Fourier coefficients, we use the formula:

An = (2/T) * ∫f(x)cos(nωx)dx

Bn = (2/T) * ∫f(x)sin(nωx)dx

Where T is the period of the function, ω is the angular frequency, and f(x) is the periodic function.

Why are Fourier coefficients important?

Fourier coefficients are important because they allow us to represent complex functions in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. They are also used in many fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis.

What is the relationship between Fourier coefficients and Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. It is closely related to Fourier coefficients, as the Fourier transform of a function is essentially the infinite sum of its Fourier coefficients. However, the Fourier transform operates on non-periodic functions, while Fourier coefficients are used for periodic functions.