Fascination with superhuman powers and its link to freedom

• Thread starter jimmy1200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary, the speaker is fascinated by superhuman powers and practices qigong in hopes of achieving them. They believe having these powers would give them freedom and the ability to protect themselves and their loved ones. They also mention how technology has become their "qigong" and has empowered humanity in a way that was once only possible through superpowers.
jimmy1200
i fascinate about superhuman powers alot. who doesnt. i practice qigong in the hopes that one day, i can achieve that great level of skill that the ancient martial arts master possessed(alledgedly). but why?

its because i want freedom. could you imagine just the little ounce of freedom you would feel, if you could leap thirty feet in the air, leave a nice solid indent in a brick wall, and heal from most wounds within a day, or even regenerate. I am sure most of us would feel more secure and free, from just being able to walk down the street at 2am and not worry about some over cracked 200 pound bum trying to rob you, or walking through the forest off the trail, because you know you could probably just outrun a bear or wolf or be able to fight it off and go on about your business.

even not having to worry about others. i worry about the females in my family, because of all the perverts running around trying to drug people and rape them, or just blatantly attack them period. i wouldn't have to worry about that if my sister had some type of super taste buds(:wink: ) , and could taste the drug in her drink, or if she could indent a solid brick wall. she would obvioulsy be able to take care of herself.

of course, this is based off of a non superpowered world. where having the power, gives you the advantage. yeah money can save your butt, but being able to just have some good ol power at your fingertips. to help you at anytime. man, you can't beat that. what if a world war happened and a lot of stuff was annihilated and we went back to survival of the fittest. you would definately be the fittest, or even if you were just put in a survival situation. most of us let alone can't survive or even know about how to survive, minus and superhuman power.

i think there is so much more to see out there, but we dont. why, because we're scared. we have no insurrance that we could go explore a cave and come out okay, we know we shouldn't go off the trail and wonder at night, because we arent strong enough to overpower the beast's that lurk.

think about it. I am sure you get my point. its more than just showing off to me, and being able to say "look what i can do". its the freedom that i want. i want to enjoy life more, stress free about worrying about getting hurt or others getting hurt, because i can't protect myself or others. i can only begin to fathom the freedom i would feel, from just a little dose of superhuman skill.

just felt like babbling :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the favourite TV fantasies, superpowers are one of the most popular. However, what has actually empowered the human race the most is technology. Some of the things we can do today would have required superpowers in the past. I guess technology is my qigong.

I can understand the fascination with superhuman powers and the link to freedom. It is a natural human desire to want to feel powerful and in control, especially in situations where we may feel vulnerable or threatened. However, it is important to remember that these powers are often portrayed in a fictional and exaggerated manner, and achieving such abilities is not possible in reality. It is also important to consider the ethical implications of having such powers and how they would impact society. While it may seem appealing to have the ability to protect oneself and others, it could also lead to a dangerous power imbalance and potential abuse of power.

Instead of focusing on attaining unrealistic superhuman powers, we should focus on developing our own skills and abilities to protect ourselves and others. This can include self-defense training, learning about survival techniques, and being aware of potential dangers in our surroundings. It is also important to work towards creating a safer and more equal society where individuals do not feel the need to have superhuman powers to feel secure and free. I believe in the power of human potential and the ability to continuously learn and improve ourselves, rather than relying on fictional powers.

1. Why are people fascinated with superhuman powers?

People are fascinated with superhuman powers because they represent the idea of being able to do things that are beyond the abilities of ordinary humans. It gives a sense of awe and wonder, and allows individuals to imagine a world where they have the power to change things and overcome any obstacles.

2. Is there a link between fascination with superhuman powers and freedom?

Yes, there is a link between fascination with superhuman powers and freedom. Superhuman abilities are often associated with having no limitations or restrictions, which can be seen as a form of freedom. The idea of having control over one's own abilities and being able to do anything without limitations is a concept that is highly appealing to many people.

3. How does the media influence our fascination with superhuman powers?

The media plays a significant role in shaping our fascination with superhuman powers. It often portrays characters with extraordinary abilities as heroes and role models, making them seem larger than life and perpetuating the idea that having superhuman powers is something desirable and admirable.

4. What impact does our fascination with superhuman powers have on society?

Our fascination with superhuman powers can have both positive and negative impacts on society. On one hand, it can inspire creativity and innovation, as people strive to achieve things that were once thought to be impossible. However, it can also create unrealistic expectations and harm the self-esteem of those who may feel inadequate compared to these superhuman figures.

5. Can our fascination with superhuman powers be harmful?

Yes, our fascination with superhuman powers can be harmful if it becomes an obsession or leads to unrealistic expectations. It can also distract from focusing on improving oneself and achieving goals in a realistic and healthy manner. Additionally, it can perpetuate harmful stereotypes and reinforce the idea that only those with extraordinary abilities are worthy of admiration and success.