Epsilons and Deltas Book Error? Or My Error?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Error
In summary, the text provided an answer for (a) (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{c}{m}, \frac{c}{m}+\frac{1}{2}) and (b) \delta = c/m.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = mx + b, m > 0, L = (m/2) + b, xo = 1/2 , [itex]\epsilon = c >0[/itex] find (a) an open interval on which the inequality
|f(x) - L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]
holds. Then find (b) [itex]\delta[/itex] such that 0 < |x - xo| < [itex]\delta\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x) - L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

Here is my problem with the book's solution. Since the condition [itex]\epsilon=c>0[/itex] was given, I only used the right-hand-side of the inequality:

[itex]-c<|f(x)-L|<c[/itex] because to me it did not make sense to solve the inequality under a condition that cannot be. Instead, I chose to write the above inequality as:

[itex]0<|f(x)-L|<c[/itex]

But the text gave answer of (a) [itex](\frac{1}{2}-\frac{c}{m}, \frac{c}{m}+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] and (b) [itex]\delta = c/m[/itex]

Why did they use the left-hand-side of the inequality if it was given that c > 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is right, but I don't know why it introduces the unneeded term c. I'm not sure if they are trying to trick you, but epsilon, or c for that matter, is just an arbitrary positive number. Look at the inequality |f(x) - L| < e again (e is just an arbtirary positive number; we usually think of it as very small). You interpreted this correctly in the previous limit question I helped you out with. All this inequality is saying is that f(x) is within a distance e from L.

Remember, |f(x) - L| < e is equivalent to L - e < f(x) < L + e. If you choose to write it in the latter form, you have to drop the absolute value signs (which I think is what tripped you up).

Oh yeah! We define epsilon to be a positive number.
That wAs stupid of me!

Thanks!

what course is this

Luongo said:
what course is this

This from a Calculus Textbook. Self Study.

1. What is an Epsilon and Delta Book Error?

An Epsilon and Delta Book Error refers to a mistake or error found in a scientific book or publication. It can be in the form of incorrect data, faulty calculations, or incorrect interpretations of results.

2. How common are Epsilon and Delta Book Errors?

Epsilon and Delta Book Errors are relatively uncommon, but they do occur from time to time. With advancements in technology and more rigorous peer-review processes, the frequency of these errors has decreased over the years.

3. How do Epsilon and Delta Book Errors impact the scientific community?

Epsilon and Delta Book Errors can have a significant impact on the scientific community as they can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of research. It is essential for scientists to identify and correct these errors to maintain the integrity of scientific knowledge.

4. What steps can be taken to prevent Epsilon and Delta Book Errors?

To prevent Epsilon and Delta Book Errors, scientists must conduct thorough reviews of their work before publication. It is also crucial for peer-reviewers to carefully examine the research and data to identify any potential errors. Additionally, using reliable and accurate sources and conducting multiple experiments can also help prevent errors.

5. What should be done if an Epsilon and Delta Book Error are discovered?

If an Epsilon and Delta Book Error are discovered, scientists should promptly correct the mistake and notify the publisher and any relevant parties. It is also essential to acknowledge and correct the error in future publications to ensure the accuracy of scientific knowledge.