Investigating Propeller Slipstream Effect on Aircraft Tail

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the effect of propeller slipstream on the horizontal tail of an aircraft. This is for a graduate project and the NASA report "Longitudinal Stability and Control with Special Reference to Slipstream Effects" is being referenced. The use of CFD or keeping the horizontal tail at a certain height from the fuselage may help reduce the impact of the slipstream. There are concerns about the stability and increase in pressure and roll moment due to the thrust.
3zz
could anyone help me in that please?
i want to to detmine the effect of the propeller slipstream on the horizontal tail the aircraft is pusher and the propeller in front of the horizontal tail the distance is 15cm and the propeller diamter is 40cm
or anyone help me with references

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not something you can easily calculate via a Formula. Why are you trying to calculate this?

that for my graduate project and i need that effect to calculate tha stabilty and how the slipstream effect in it

i think there will be lot of stability issues. I'm too trying to find the way to calculate the slipstream effect and find its path. Maybe using CFD or something. Maybe by keeping the horizontal tail at an height form the fuselage you can reduce the effect. Check it out.

thx for the re and i fiend out report for NASA and after working in it i think the effect will be increas in the dunimec pressuer and increas in the roll moment due to propwash as the thrust increas

heyy can u send me dat report coz I've been trying to get stuff on the slipstream effect from months and I've got nothing.

yes sure hope it help u just read it well i will give u the name of it becous i don't have its link
it's name is (report no.690 longtudinal stablity and control with special reference to slipstream effects)

kevjcarvalho said:
heyy can u send me dat report coz I've been trying to get stuff on the slipstream effect from months and I've got nothing.

Good lord, stop tying in text man. Please, spell check before you post - that goes for both of you. This thread is atrocious.

sorry

trying help Better than spell check i think that arent u?

1. What is the propeller slipstream effect?

The propeller slipstream effect is the airflow that is created by the rotation of an aircraft's propeller. It is a result of the propeller blades pushing air backwards, which creates a swirling motion around the aircraft.

2. How does the propeller slipstream affect the tail of an aircraft?

The propeller slipstream can have several effects on the tail of an aircraft. It can increase the lift and drag on the tail, which can affect the stability and control of the aircraft. It can also cause changes in the airflow over the tail, which can impact the overall aerodynamics of the aircraft.

3. What factors can influence the propeller slipstream effect on an aircraft tail?

The propeller slipstream effect can be influenced by several factors, such as the size and shape of the propeller, the speed of the aircraft, and the distance between the propeller and the tail. Other factors that can have an impact include the pitch and angle of the propeller blades, as well as the design of the aircraft's tail.

4. How is the propeller slipstream effect on an aircraft tail investigated?

Investigating the propeller slipstream effect on an aircraft tail typically involves conducting wind tunnel experiments or using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These methods allow scientists to measure and analyze the aerodynamic forces and airflow patterns around the tail in the presence of the propeller slipstream.

5. Why is it important to study the propeller slipstream effect on aircraft tails?

Understanding the propeller slipstream effect on aircraft tails is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of aircraft. By studying this phenomenon, scientists and engineers can improve the design and performance of aircraft, as well as ensure the stability and control of the aircraft during flight.