What are some great science experiments explained in a book?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a book that details great science experiments in a chronological and easy-to-understand manner. The first result on Amazon, priced at $11.53 new and $4.88 used, seems to be a promising option as it includes all the mentioned experiments. The conversation ends with both parties agreeing to purchase the book.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a book that will detail all the great science experiments (such as double slit, oil drop experiment, thompson's cathode ray) in a nice, detailed, chronological fashion, that can also be understood by non-science experts. Anyone got a good resource?

Physics news on Phys.org
A search of amazon.com for "great experiments" returned as the first result:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486253465/?tag=pfamazon01-20 $11.53 new, $4.88 used

which actually sounds really interesting, and now I want it :biggrin:

----
edit: just looked in the index, and all the ones you mentioned are in there
editedit: on its way, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe...you get carried away with yourself osnarf! :D
But cool, I'll get it too. Thanks :)

Happens all the time :P

I highly recommend the book "The Science Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained" by DK Publishing. This book covers a wide range of scientific concepts and includes detailed explanations and illustrations of famous experiments, including the double slit experiment, oil drop experiment, and Thompson's cathode ray experiment. The book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it easy for non-science experts to understand. It also presents the experiments in a chronological order, providing a comprehensive overview of the development of these groundbreaking experiments. I believe this book would be a great resource for anyone interested in learning about the history and significance of these experiments in science.

1. What is the purpose of science experiment books?

Science experiment books are designed to provide step-by-step instructions for conducting various experiments. These experiments are meant to help individuals understand scientific concepts and principles through hands-on activities.

2. Can anyone use science experiment books?

Science experiment books are suitable for people of all ages and backgrounds. They are designed to be accessible to anyone who is interested in learning about science and conducting experiments.

3. What types of experiments are typically included in science experiment books?

Science experiment books often cover a wide range of topics and include experiments from various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and more. They can include simple experiments for beginners, as well as more complex experiments for advanced learners.

4. Are the materials and equipment needed for the experiments easy to obtain?

Many science experiment books use common household materials and equipment that are easy to find and affordable. However, some experiments may require specialized materials or equipment, which can be purchased online or at a science supply store.

5. Can science experiment books be used for educational purposes?

Yes, science experiment books can be a valuable tool for learning and teaching science concepts in a fun and engaging way. They can be used in schools, homeschooling, or as a supplement to traditional textbooks.