Best inst for phd in comp. science

• Programs
  • Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Science
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking advice on the best institutes for pursuing a PhD in computer science. The student mentions their interest in research and getting a head start in their studies. Some suggestions for top institutes are given, including UC Berkeley, MIT, Caltech, and Carnegie Mellon. It is also mentioned that IIT has a good reputation, but the student is looking for a more research-oriented campus.
heman
hi all,

dear friends i am in very first year and pursuing (B.tech. + M.Tech.) dual degree from IIT Kanpur .i want to know which is the best institute for doing phd in computer science and how to get there.I have seriously research on mind and i want to start from now.

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
please. guys anyone suggest me.

What country (or countries) are you considering?

i am considering whole world.

USA: MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, U of Illinois Urbana Champagne and UC Berkeley.
Canada: Waterloo, U of Toronoto, McGill and Queen's.
UK: Cambridge and U of Edinburgh.

That's my opinion, of course.

I'll second UC Berkeley. Excellent reputation.

Heman, I was just wondering...does the IIT campuses have a PhD program? If it does maybe you can continue there itself...IIT has a very good reputation.

sunilkamadolli said:
Heman, I was just wondering...does the IIT campuses have a PhD program? If it does maybe you can continue there itself...IIT has a very good reputation.

iit is fine but i am looking for a very research oriented campus,iit is for all ugs+pgs.

Carnegie Mellon is the top institute for CS in many rankings.
Take this as you wish.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing the best institution for a PhD in computer science?

When considering a PhD program in computer science, it is important to look at the reputation of the institution, the research opportunities available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the program curriculum, and the location and resources of the institution. It is also beneficial to speak with current students or alumni to get an inside perspective on the program.

2. Are there any specific institutions that are considered the best for a PhD in computer science?

There are many top institutions around the world that offer excellent PhD programs in computer science, such as MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, and Oxford. However, the "best" institution will vary depending on individual preferences and goals. It is important to research and compare different institutions to find the best fit for your specific interests and needs.

3. How important is the reputation of the institution for a PhD in computer science?

The reputation of the institution can play a significant role in the quality of education and opportunities available in a PhD program. A well-known and respected institution may have access to more resources, renowned faculty, and better job prospects after graduation. However, it is important to also consider the specific program and its strengths in your particular field of interest.

4. What types of research opportunities should I look for in a PhD program in computer science?

Research is a crucial component of a PhD program in computer science. Look for institutions that have strong research programs in your area of interest, as well as opportunities for collaboration with industry partners or other institutions. It is also beneficial to consider the funding and support available for research projects.

5. What is the average length of a PhD program in computer science?

The length of a PhD program in computer science can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This can depend on factors such as the student's research progress, the program requirements, and any teaching or other obligations. It is important to have a clear understanding of the program expectations and timeline before starting a PhD program.