Proving non-existence of integer solutions by reducing mod p

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, reducing the equation a^2 - 10b^2 = 2 (mod 5) allows us to determine that the original equation has no integer solutions. This method can be applied to any natural number, but it is most useful for prime powers. The process involves reducing both sides of the equation modulo 5 and using the fact that modulo 5, [x+y] = [x] + [y] and [xy] = [x][y]. This can also be done using the "old-fashioned method" of substituting variables, as shown in the example.
Poopsilon
Say I have the equation a^2 - 10b^2 = 2. So even though this is an equation in two variables and not one, I can still reduce mod P to a^2 = 2 (mod 5) and use the fact that it has no integer solutions mod 5 to conclude the original equation has no integer solutions, correct? Also does this only work modulo a prime, or can I do this modulo any natural number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poopsilon said:
that it has no integer solutions mod 5 to conclude the original equation has no integer solutions, correct?
Correct.

If there was an integer solution, that would also be a solution to the reduced-modulo-5 version.

And since there isn't a solution to the reduced-modulo-5 version, there isn't an integer solution.

Also does this only work modulo a prime, or can I do this modulo any natural number?
Any natural number. But via the Chinese Remainder Theorem, you only really need to deal with prime powers -- e.g. reducing modulo 6 tells you the exact same information as considering reducing modulo 2 and reducing modulo 3 separately. For example, there's the theorem:
A (polynomial) equation doesn't have a solution modulo 6 if and only if at least one of the following is true:
  • The equation doesn't have a solution modulo 2
  • The equation doesn't have a solution modulo 3

Incidentally, it's fairly common that 4 and 8 are more useful to consider than 2.

Ah yes, that makes sense, thanks =].

Would someone mind showing the steps to reducing that? (a^2-10b^2=2 to a^2 = 2 mod 5)

TylerH said:
Would someone mind showing the steps to reducing that? (a^2-10b^2=2 to a^2 = 2 mod 5)

to indicate a number modulo 5, i will write [n] instead of n, so

[13] = [3].

a2 - 10b2 = 2 (given equation to solve)
[a2 - 10b2] = [2] (reducing both sides modulo 5)
[a2] - [10b2] = [2] (because mod 5, [x+y] = [x] + [y])
[a]2 - [10]2 = [2] (because mod 5, [xy] = [x][y])
[a]2 = [2] (because [10] = [0] mod 5)

one can explicitly compute [a]2, for a = 0,1,2,3, and 4:

[0][0] = [0]
[1][1] = [1]
[2][2] = [4]
[3][3] = [9] = [4]
[4][4] = [16] = [1]

or, using an "old-fashioned method":

let a = a' + 5k
let b = b' + 5m

then a2 - 10b2 = (a' + 5k)2 - 10(b' + 5m)2

= (a')2 + 10a'k + 25k2 - 10(b')2 - 100b'm + 250m2

collecting all obvious multiples of 5, we get:

= a'2 + 5(2a'k + 5k2 - 2b'2 - 20b'm - 50m2)

let n = 2a'k + 5k2 - 2b'2 - 20b'm - 50m2, then we have:

a'2 + 5n = 2,

that is: a2 = a'2 = 2 (mod 5).

Oh, that makes sense. I actually did some of those, using the "old fashioned method," in my proof class, but only of a single variable. It was the second variable that threw me off. Thanks for the great explanation.

1. What is the concept of "Proving non-existence of integer solutions by reducing mod p"?

"Proving non-existence of integer solutions by reducing mod p" is a mathematical technique used to show that a given equation or problem does not have any integer solutions. It involves reducing the equation or problem to a simpler form using modular arithmetic and then showing that there are no solutions for the simplified form.

2. How does reducing mod p help in proving non-existence of integer solutions?

Reducing mod p allows us to work with smaller numbers and simplify the problem, making it easier to determine if there are any solutions. It also helps to eliminate any potential solutions that may exist only for larger numbers.

3. What is the role of prime numbers in this technique?

Prime numbers are essential in this technique because they have only two factors (1 and itself), which makes it easier to work with them in modular arithmetic. By reducing mod p, we can check for solutions in a finite set of numbers, which is not possible with composite numbers.

4. Can this technique be used for all types of equations or problems?

No, this technique is mainly used for equations or problems that have integer solutions. It may not be applicable to problems involving real numbers or complex numbers.

5. What are the limitations of proving non-existence of integer solutions by reducing mod p?

One limitation is that it can only prove the non-existence of integer solutions, but it cannot provide any information about the possible solutions if they do exist. Additionally, it may not work for all types of equations or problems and may require advanced mathematical knowledge to apply effectively.