Joint pmf of 2 binomially distributed random variables

In summary, a joint pmf (probability mass function) is a mathematical function used in statistics to analyze the relationship between multiple variables and their likelihood of occurring together. To calculate the joint pmf for two binomially distributed random variables, you need to determine the probability of success for each variable and use a specific formula. The significance of the joint pmf in statistical analysis lies in its ability to understand and predict the relationship between variables. It cannot be used to calculate the probability of independent events; for that, the product rule is used. The joint pmf differs from the marginal pmf in that it describes the probability of specific combinations of outcomes for multiple variables, while the marginal pmf focuses on one variable at a time.
cimmerian
I hope I wrote that correctly but I'm trying to find the joint. I heard it was impossible from someone.

X = A/R
A~BIN(n1, p1)
R~BIN(n2, p2)

I know I shouldn't be using the Jacobian method for Discrete distributions but I have to do it anyway.

Anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
The major difficulty arises from the fact that P(R=0) > 0, so you have a non-zero probability of X being infinite.

1. What is a joint pmf in statistics?

A joint pmf (probability mass function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a specific combination of outcomes for two or more random variables. It is used in statistics to analyze the relationship between multiple variables and their likelihood of occurring together.

2. How do you calculate the joint pmf for two binomially distributed random variables?

To calculate the joint pmf for two binomially distributed random variables, you first need to determine the probability of success for each variable and the number of trials for each variable. Then, you can use the formula P(X=x, Y=y) = (n1Cx * n2Cy * p1^x * p2^y * (1-p1)^(n1-x) * (1-p2)^(n2-y)), where n1 and n2 are the number of trials, p1 and p2 are the probabilities of success, and x and y are the number of successes for each variable.

3. What is the significance of the joint pmf in statistical analysis?

The joint pmf is significant in statistical analysis because it allows us to understand the relationship between multiple variables and their likelihood of occurring together. It can also help us make predictions about future outcomes based on the observed relationship between the variables.

4. Can the joint pmf be used to calculate the probability of independent events?

No, the joint pmf is used to calculate the probability of dependent events, where the outcome of one event is influenced by the outcome of another event. For independent events, the probability can be calculated using the product rule, where the probability of both events occurring is equal to the product of their individual probabilities.

5. How does the joint pmf differ from the marginal pmf?

The joint pmf describes the probability of specific combinations of outcomes for multiple variables, while the marginal pmf describes the probability of a single variable without considering the other variables. In other words, the joint pmf provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between variables, while the marginal pmf focuses on one variable at a time.