Exploring the Meaning Behind the Phrase "Have a Doubt"

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary: Giving an exam" is most appropriately used in the context of a doctor examining a patient medically. It may also be used when a teacher tests students, e.g. "I gave my students an exam last Tuesday and they all flunked it." However, the preferred phrase here is to "set an exam", i.e. "I set my students an exam.""Taking an exam/test", "sitting an exam/test" and "sitting for an exam/test" all refer to the act of candidates attempting an examination or test.There are many English words and phrases in use in India that other speakers of the language find surprising. One of my favourites is "octroi
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
"have a doubt"

I notice many posts in the mathematics sections use phrases like "I have a doubt about" instead of "I have a question about" or "I don't understand...". Is "have a doubt about" a phrase that has become popular with young people in the US/UK? Is it a phrase that non-English speakers learn to use when asking questions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it is definitely a mistranslation from Indian dialects to English. I've been seeing it for years.

Last edited:

I just thought it was people making an unavailing attempt to sound more intelligent by putting on the facade of being more verbose than the average denizen!

genericusrnme said:
I just thought it was people making an unavailing attempt to sound more intelligent by putting on the facade of being more verbose than the average denizen!

I seriously hope the irony was intended! :rofl:

It does have the appearance of a premeditated stategy of self-embellishment.

jtbell said:
It does have the appearance of a premeditated stategy of self-embellishment.

Although I see how it could look that way, having seen this with some annoyance (I'm a grammar Nazi) for years, I am quite convinced that there no such intent. It's just a simple mixup in the subtle meaning of words.

It's the same kind of mistranslation as when Pennsylvania Dutch folks say "let it there" where the rest of us would say "leave it there".

Apparently "doubt" and "question" don't translate exactly from Indian languages to/from English. They simple do not know that they are making what native English speakers see as a mistake.

My chemistry professor is from India, here is something from the course website that he wrote.
2d0xt0z.jpg

Funny this thread should be created. I was just wondering the exact same question.

That seems to negate my assumption that "doubt" is a synonym for "question" in this context. :eek:

"Inglish" has definitely become a separate stream from "English."

It's funny, I guess I can "have (my) doubts about something" but it just sounds wrong in the singular.

Also, I've heard French speakers make this very subtle mistake--"j'ai un doute" is pretty common in French.

Curious3141 said:
I believe some speakers of the English language hailing from the Indian subcontinent tend toward employing that turn of phrase.

Strangely enough, this question has been asked before, on this very forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=192539

Yep. I am from India. The phrase is quite common here. Teachers frequently ask the question - 'any doubts?' .

I only realized it now that it is not the proper phrase. :rolleyes: .

In the thread that you mention the member Gokul43201 has made a good post. I would like to mention another interesting phrase common in India.
Whenever a person sits for an examination he/she uses the phrase "I gave examination xyz".
I believe the correct phrase should be "I sat for examination xyz" ? :confused:

glb_lub said:
I would like to mention another interesting phrase common in India.
Whenever a person sits for an examination he/she uses the phrase "I gave examination xyz".

In the US the usual phrasing is "I took examination xyz." Another example of three countries divided by a common language!

glb_lub said:
Yep. I am from India. The phrase is quite common here. Teachers frequently ask the question - 'any doubts?' .

I only realized it now that it is not the proper phrase. :rolleyes: .

In the thread that you mention the member Gokul43201 has made a good post.

I would like to mention another interesting phrase common in India.

"Giving an exam" is most appropriately used in the context of a doctor examining a patient medically. It may also be used when a teacher tests students, e.g. "I gave my students an exam last Tuesday and they all flunked it." However, the preferred phrase here is to "set an exam", i.e. "I set my students an exam."

"Taking an exam/test", "sitting an exam/test" and "sitting for an exam/test" all refer to the act of candidates attempting an examination or test.

There are many English words and phrases in use in India that other speakers of the language find surprising. One of my favourites is "octroi" - which is actually a perfectly correct word describing a form of local taxation levied on goods brought into a certain district. The word was widely used in antiquity, but has fallen into disuse in most parts of the world except for the Indian subcontinent. It would be viewed as an anachronism by an outsider.

BTW, I'm Indian by ethnicity, albeit born and bred in Singapore. I still have many close links to India and visit often, which is why I'm aware of these peculiarities of the local patois.

Curious3141 said:
"" However, the preferred phrase here is to "set an exam", i.e. "I set my students an exam."

Interesting. I've never heard that phrase in the USA.

phinds said:
Interesting. I've never heard that phrase in the USA.

Interesting to me, too, because it's fairly standard usage in Singapore, and I believe, in the UK.

I give my students an exam, and they take it. Logical, huh? :biggrin:

(and then hopefully I get it back.)

Last edited:

jtbell said:
I give my students an exam, and they take it. Logical, huh? :biggrin:

(and then hopefully I get it back.)

Yes,that could be a reason why students in India use the phrase 'gave the exam'.
Perhaps they refer to the act of giving the answer book back(i.e returning it) at the end of the examination. :smile:. I can not think of any other act of giving on the part of the student during an examination.

Last edited:

Curious3141 said:
Interesting to me, too, because it's fairly standard usage in Singapore, and I believe, in the UK.

I always thought the phrase used mostly in the UK was "sat an exam" but I could be dead wrong on that one. In any case, the English people speak in Singapore is much closer to British English than American English, at least in terms of the colloquialisms people use.

jgens said:
I always thought the phrase used mostly in the UK was "sat an exam" but I could be dead wrong on that one. In any case, the English people speak in Singapore is much closer to British English than American English, at least in terms of the colloquialisms people use.

But we were discussing "setting an exam" as in the examiner devising and administering an examination to test students.

"Sitting an exam" is equivalent to taking it, and I believe there's no dispute between US/UK/Singapore English. :smile:

Curious3141 said:
But we were discussing "setting an exam" as in the examiner devising and administering an examination to test students.

Ah! I see. My mistake.

"Sitting an exam" is equivalent to taking it, and I believe there's no dispute between US/UK/Singapore English. :smile:

In the US the phrase "sitting an exam" is not common at all. The 'proper' phrase would be "taking an exam" so there is a dispute between American English and UK/Singapore English :tongue:

This is interesting as from my beginning I believe it as a word used in sentences now I am clear it is not a sentence, it is a phrase that is used.But are they really not use in other countries?

What do the Aussies and Kiwis say?

I've been teaching IB Physics for the past 6 years (and this was my last year--yay--next year back to AP--yay) where all the students "sit for papers." I liked to tell the students, in a posh London accent that they will "sit for papers which means..." then switching to exaggerated Merkin accent "yer going to take an exam!"

1. What does the phrase "have a doubt" mean?

The phrase "have a doubt" means to have uncertainty or lack of belief about something.

2. Is "having a doubt" the same as being skeptical?

While they are similar, "having a doubt" implies a temporary state of uncertainty, while being skeptical suggests a more permanent attitude of questioning and doubt.

3. What is the origin of the phrase "have a doubt"?

The phrase originated in Middle English, derived from the Old French word "douter" meaning "to fear or hesitate."

4. Can "having a doubt" be beneficial?

Yes, having doubts can lead to critical thinking and further exploration of a topic, which can ultimately lead to a deeper understanding and knowledge.

5. How can one overcome doubts?

Overcoming doubts can be achieved through seeking more information, discussing with others, and being open to different perspectives. It is also important to remember that doubts are a natural part of the learning process and can ultimately lead to growth and development.