How can Coulomb's Law be used to find the force between a charge and a surface?

• Thread starter shotikokobaxi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the problem is to find the force with which the flat surface (which has no charges) acts on a charge Q that is h meters away from it. Coulomb's force law can be used, but there is a special method called the method of image charges that can be used for this type of problem.
shotikokobaxi

Homework Statement

We have a charge Q and it's h metres far from the flat surface. Find the force with which acts on the Q charge by the surface
The answer is: F=kQ2/4h2 i couldn't get it, please help me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shotikokobaxi said:

Homework Statement

we have a charge Q and it's h metres far from the flat surface. Find the force with which acts on the Q charge by the surface
The answer is: F=kQ2/4h2 i couldn't get it, please help me

Wow! No need to shout (Big loud font) :smile:

Welcome to Physics Forums, shotikokobaxi.

What formula(s) are appropriate here? Is the flat surface a conducting surface? If so, what analysis technique is appropriate for calculating the effects of an induced charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
Wow! No need to shout (Big loud font) :smile:

Welcome to Physics Forums, shotikokobaxi.

What formula(s) are appropriate here? Is the flat surface a conducting surface? If so, what analysis technique is appropriate for calculating the effects of an induced charge?

we use kulon's force F=kq2/r2 the question is to find the force with which the surface (which hasn't any charges) acts on the Q charge

shotikokobaxi said:
we use kulon's force F=kq2/r2 the question is to find the force with which the surface (which hasn't any charges) acts on the Q charge

Yes, that's what we call Coulomb's force law for electric charges. It is applicable, but there's a special technique which can be used for cases where one charge induces a charge in an otherwise uncharged conducting surface as you have here. Look up "the method of image charges".

I understand that electricity is a fundamental force in nature and is responsible for the movement of charged particles. In this problem, we have a charge Q located h meters away from a flat surface. We are asked to find the force with which the surface acts on the charge Q. To do this, we can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

In this case, we have a single charge Q and a surface, which can be considered as a large number of charges. Therefore, we can use the surface charge density, σ, to represent the surface's charge. The formula for surface charge density is σ = Q/A, where Q is the total charge on the surface and A is the surface area.

Now, using Coulomb's Law, we can calculate the force between the charge Q and the surface. The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = kQq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, q is the charge of the surface, and r is the distance between the two charges.

In this case, we can replace q with σA, since the surface charge density represents the charge per unit area on the surface. Therefore, the formula becomes F = kQσA/r^2.

Substituting Q = σA, we get F = kQ^2/r^2. Since the distance between the charge and the surface is h, we can replace r with h, giving us the final formula F = kQ^2/h^2.

This is the force with which the surface acts on the charge Q. To get the final answer, we need to plug in the values of Q and h into the formula. I hope this explanation helps you understand the solution to the problem.

1. What is electricity, and how does it work?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is caused by the movement of electrons from one atom to another. This flow of electrons creates a circuit, which allows electricity to power devices and complete tasks.

2. What are the common problems associated with electricity?

Some common problems associated with electricity include power outages, electrical fires, and electric shocks. These can be caused by faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or natural disasters.

3. How can I prevent electrical problems in my home or workplace?

To prevent electrical problems, it is important to have your electrical systems regularly inspected and maintained by a licensed electrician. Avoid overloading outlets and extension cords, and do not use damaged or frayed electrical cords.

4. What should I do if I experience an electrical problem?

If you experience an electrical problem, such as a power outage or electrical shock, it is important to stay calm and immediately turn off the power source. If there is a fire, use a fire extinguisher or call the fire department. For other issues, contact a licensed electrician for assistance.

5. How has electricity changed over time?

Electricity has evolved greatly since its discovery in the 19th century. It has become more accessible and affordable, and has revolutionized the way we live and work. Advancements in technology have also allowed for more efficient and renewable sources of electricity, such as solar and wind power.