Register to reply

Phase-plane dynamics of an atomic force microscope cantilever.

Share this thread:
danber
Aug1-13, 09:49 AM
P: 2
Hello,

A sinusoidally driven and undisturbed cantilever of an atomic force microscope (AFM) oscillates ideally in a sinusoidal fashion but the motion of the cantilever (time-domain trajectory) can become more complicated when it is disturbed by the inter-atomic forces as the cantilever taps on the sample surface. The cantilever dynamics can be better understood in the phase-plane. An undisturbed cantilever shows elliptical trajectories in the phase-plane around a center. On the other hand, a disturbed cantilever can show nonlinear effects like period-doubling, bifurcation and chaos.

I'd like to know what can be said about the phase-plane trajectory in terms of the attractor, basin of attraction or the possibility of chaos as shown in the attachement containing my experimental data? In the beginning the phase-plane trajectories circle around a center and as the signal size increases, these trajectories also grow in size and the center transforms into a set of two centers.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
danber
Aug2-13, 01:28 PM
P: 2
Thanks.

I already know the papers by Raman and Jamitzky but they've done experiments aimed at observing chaos in AFM and I've a different experiment where I'm not forcing the cantilever motion to be chaotic but observing breakdown of the cantilever trajectory in time-domain and the phase-plane trajectory shows a specific attractor which doesn't seem to be a chaotic one but still is markedly different from that of a harmonic oscillator.

I think time series analysis of the given experimental data can be helpful but my question was how to understand the attractor from a purly dynamical point of view?

Register to reply