DVD recorder that still provide picture on tv when off.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary: If you only want to record shows when they are airing, then a DVR like a TiVo is probably more suited to your needs. If you want to be able to watch shows at any time, a DVDR recorder like the ones you mentioned is a better option.
yungman
I don't know any better place to put this one. I am looking for DVD recorder for tv programs. Problems is I need to find one that still have composite video and stereo output to drive the tv even when the power is off. I have a few that work this way and I am trying to buy more of the same model. One is Toshiba D-R410 and the other is Philips DVDR3475.

You would think it's easy to find one...NO! I bought the newer model of Toshiba D-R430, the video and sound cut off when I turn off the power. I bought a Magnavox and it does the same thing. If someone know a DVDR that can do this, please post the make and model number so I can check on ebay.

The two I have is quite old, I bought one that does not work well and I wasted money.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I need to find one that still have composite video and stereo output to drive the tv even when the power is off.
I looked up the models you indicated to see if I could figure out what this means.

Surely the DVDR will not work if it is not receiving power and the TV will not work if the TV is not receiving power.
But you seem to be saying that the DVDR has an internal PSU from something powerful enough to run itself and a TV set.

I don't see anything special about the models you have mentioned.
Can you describe more carefully what you expect to happen?

A DVDR with it's own tuner can record TV shows by itself - no extra inputs needed.
But the D-R410 does not have a tuner - but it does what you want. Does sit really record shows when the plug is pulled from the socket? Perhaps you want to record shows while it is on standby - i.e. you power-off from the remote?

I think he wants to "daisy-chain" the DVD recorder between his TV source (cable or satellite box, or terrestrial antenna) and his TV. For this, the DVD recorder needs to pass the signal through from the source to the TV when it's "off" (probably actually in standby mode as you note).

This pass-through feature was and is common for RF connections (screw-on F-type jacks) to VCRs and DVD recorders, but is much less common for separated composite video and stereo audio connections (yellow/red/white RCA-type jacks). I've never used a recorder with that feature, and don't know of any that currently have it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. What I meant is pass through. The DVDR is always plug into the wall, just the power switch is off for timer recording or save power while I watch tv. The two I have no only pass through RF, it also pass through composite video ( yellow RCA jack) and the stereo ( red and white RCA jack). It is as if the DVDR is not there. Signal just pass through the DVDR.

This is a very important feature as I can daisy chain DVDR, VCR or even two different DVDR together and have different timer programing on different tape/DVD. Then I can still watch tv.

Ha ha, I don't want to get into how much I record programs, let's just say I use up all the inputs of the surround sound amplifier and I have 3 daisy chains on it! Ha ha!

Thanks

jtbell said:
I think he wants to "daisy-chain" the DVD recorder between his TV source (cable or satellite box, or terrestrial antenna) and his TV. For this, the DVD recorder needs to pass the signal through from the source to the TV when it's "off" (probably actually in standby mode as you note).

This pass-through feature was and is common for RF connections (screw-on F-type jacks) to VCRs and DVD recorders, but is much less common for separated composite video and stereo audio connections (yellow/red/white RCA-type jacks). I've never used a recorder with that feature, and don't know of any that currently have it.

My Philips DVDR3475 and Toshiba D-R410 both can do it. But they are old models that they have newer ones. I bought the Toshiba newer D-R430 and it does not pass through. I tried one from Magnavox and it does not work either. I tried buying used of the same model on ebay and I had two that failed.

I never watch tv shows live, I record everything and watch later to skip commercials and avoid all the season finale that I have to wait for 3 months to watch the result. That's the reason I tape all the tv shows. I have 3 Direct tv stations in the house that I can record on different channels. These DVDRs are my "life lines"! I am actually about one year behind the shows, so I can watch any shows, any time at will. Because the volume of shows I tape, I don't trust Tivo or any of those that use large storage capacity. I cannot afford to have one goes bad and loss the whole season! So I elect to put in permanent smaller media like DVD disk so even if one gone bad, I only loss a few hours. And also with my ailing memory, if I watch my favorite show after 3 years, it's almost like watching new!:cry::rofl:.

Last edited:
Oh that makes sense - thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_passthrough
Before digital television, passthrough originally existed for VCRs (and later PVRs and DVDRs), allowing the TV antenna or cable TV signal to pass through the VCR (with a slight insertion loss) to the TV set automatically when the VCR was turned off, or manually with a button on the remote control. Passthrough was turned off when the RF modulator (typically on TV channel 3 or 4 in North America) was on, as this F connector was originally the only way to send the VCR output to older TVs, until unmodulated composite video and RCA connectors became common.

I since joined two video forum that have sub forum on DVD recorders. Nobody have any suggestion. One said the old ones used to be able to do that, but the new ones do not. I guess I am stuck buying used.

Pretty much - yeah.
Or split the incoming signal between devices.

Simon Bridge said:
Or split the incoming signal between devices.

And then re-join the signal paths if the TV has only a single input. I remember seeing diagrams for such setups for using a cable-TV box together with a cable-ready VCR (one with a tuner that could receive cable-TV signals). You had to use an A/B switch to join the outputs of the VCR and the cable box, and set it according to whether you wanted to watch a live program or a recorded one.

Or I just keep buying used one and take my chance. I already stocked up two spare of each! But I don't see myself moving to another way to record the shows as stated that I record a whole year or more worth of shows of different channels. I cannot afford to have a hard disk type of device that fail and loss hundreds of hours of recording. If someone has a better way, I am all ears.

Yeh, maybe using a "Y" to split the input signal, then use a 2 way switch to select either from the output of the DVDR or the the "Y" signal. Just one more complication to the already complicated hook up already.

1. How does a DVD recorder still provide picture on TV when it is turned off?

When a DVD recorder is turned off, it is still connected to the TV through an HDMI or AV cable. This allows the TV to receive a signal from the DVD recorder even when it is not powered on.

2. Can I record TV programs while the DVD recorder is off?

Yes, you can schedule recordings on a DVD recorder even when it is turned off. The recorder will automatically turn on at the scheduled time and record the program.

3. Do all DVD recorders have this feature?

No, not all DVD recorders have the capability to provide a picture on the TV when it is turned off. This feature depends on the specific model and brand of the DVD recorder.

4. Is there a way to disable this feature if I don't want the DVD recorder to provide a picture when it's off?

Yes, most DVD recorders have a setting that allows you to disable this feature. You can check the user manual or settings menu of your specific DVD recorder to see how to turn it off.

5. Will the DVD recorder use electricity when it is off but still providing a picture on the TV?

Yes, the DVD recorder will still use a small amount of electricity to maintain the connection with the TV and to receive signals. However, this energy usage is minimal compared to when the DVD recorder is turned on and actively recording or playing a disc.