Register to reply

Magnetism into electricity

Share this thread:
boletoms
Feb20-14, 01:21 PM
P: 10
how can magnetism be derived from electricity at the sub atomic level??
how is the magnetic field generated around an electron???

if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron it is said that if calculated the spin of electron would exceed light speed ; so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light

please answer genuinely and dont give me maxwells equations
(i need to understand this in a deeper level)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
mfb
Feb20-14, 06:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,573
I don't think this is a useful view.

Electromagnetism is one phenomenon. Sometimes (but not in general) you can split it in separate parts and call them "electricity" and "magnetism".

Physics cannot describe "how". It can provide models in agreement with experiments - with concepts like electromagnetic fields - but it cannot say "how" something "really" happens on a fundamental level.

if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron
It is not. The statement is too vague to be more specific here.
so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light
Spin does not have a speed.

Quantum electrodynamics is the next deeper level (and way more advanced and complicated), but you'll see the same thing again: we observe things and then we make theories to agree with those observations.
dauto
Feb20-14, 10:17 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Quote Quote by boletoms View Post
I'll answer obliquely with another question: how is the electric field generated around an electron
if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron it is said that if calculated the spin of electron would exceed light speed ; so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light

Forget about the electron spinning faster than light. The electron's angular momentum is an intrinsic property of the electron. Just as an electron carries mass and electric charge, it also carries angular momentum and a magnetic dipole. None of this requires the electron to move faster than light. None of this requires the electron to move at all. The electron isn't actually physically spinning around itself. The Magnetic field is just another aspect of the electromagnetic field. If you have no problem with the electron generating an electric field, than you should have no problem with the electron generating a magnetic field.

Now, said that, you also have to realize that even if the electron had not a magnetic dipole it would still produce magnetic fields because a moving electron causes electric current which will generate a magnetic field.

boletoms
Feb21-14, 10:01 AM
P: 10
Magnetism into electricity

then how is the magnetic dipole produced around the electron?
mfb
Feb21-14, 11:21 AM
Mentor
P: 11,573
Quote Quote by boletoms View Post
then how is the magnetic dipole produced around the electron?
Please read the previous two posts again, there is no meaningful way to answer this - in the same way you cannot answer the question from dauto: "how is the electric field generated around an electron"

Register to reply