How is magnetism generated around an electron?

In summary, the magnetic field around an electron is an intrinsic property of the electron, just like its mass and electric charge. It is not caused by the electron spinning faster than light. And even if the electron did not have a magnetic dipole, it would still produce magnetic fields due to its motion.
boletoms
how can magnetism be derived from electricity at the sub atomic level??
how is the magnetic field generated around an electron?

if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron it is said that if calculated the spin of electron would exceed light speed ; so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light
please answer genuinely and don't give me maxwells equations
(i need to understand this in a deeper level)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is a useful view.

Electromagnetism is one phenomenon. Sometimes (but not in general) you can split it in separate parts and call them "electricity" and "magnetism".

Physics cannot describe "how". It can provide models in agreement with experiments - with concepts like electromagnetic fields - but it cannot say "how" something "really" happens on a fundamental level.

if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron
It is not. The statement is too vague to be more specific here.
so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light
Spin does not have a speed.

Quantum electrodynamics is the next deeper level (and way more advanced and complicated), but you'll see the same thing again: we observe things and then we make theories to agree with those observations.

boletoms said:
I'll answer obliquely with another question: how is the electric field generated around an electron
if magnetism is just generated due to angular momentum of the electron it is said that if calculated the spin of electron would exceed light speed ; so will it work even in this condition when spin is greater than speed of light

Forget about the electron spinning faster than light. The electron's angular momentum is an intrinsic property of the electron. Just as an electron carries mass and electric charge, it also carries angular momentum and a magnetic dipole. None of this requires the electron to move faster than light. None of this requires the electron to move at all. The electron isn't actually physically spinning around itself. The Magnetic field is just another aspect of the electromagnetic field. If you have no problem with the electron generating an electric field, than you should have no problem with the electron generating a magnetic field.

Now, said that, you also have to realize that even if the electron had not a magnetic dipole it would still produce magnetic fields because a moving electron causes electric current which will generate a magnetic field.

Likes 1 person
then how is the magnetic dipole produced around the electron?

boletoms said:
then how is the magnetic dipole produced around the electron?
Please read the previous two posts again, there is no meaningful way to answer this - in the same way you cannot answer the question from dauto: "how is the electric field generated around an electron"

Likes 1 person

1. How does magnetism turn into electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related and can be transformed into each other. When a magnetic field changes around a conductor, it induces an electric current in the conductor. This process is known as electromagnetic induction.

2. What materials can be used to convert magnetism into electricity?

Materials such as iron, nickel, cobalt, and their alloys are commonly used to make magnets. For converting magnetism into electricity, materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, are preferred. Additionally, materials with low electrical resistance, such as copper, are used to conduct the induced electric current.

3. What is the role of a generator in converting magnetism into electricity?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to produce electricity. The rotating motion of a magnet inside a coil of wire induces an electric current in the wire, which can then be used as a source of electricity.

4. Can magnetism be used as a renewable source of electricity?

Yes, magnetism can be considered a renewable source of electricity. Magnets do not lose their magnetic properties over time, and the process of electromagnetic induction can be repeated continuously. This makes it a sustainable source of electricity.

5. How is magnetism used in everyday life to generate electricity?

Magnetism is used in various everyday devices to generate electricity. Some common examples include generators in power plants, motors in household appliances, and alternators in cars. Magnetism is also used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants to generate electricity.