What is the best book to start learning Finite Element Analysis?

In summary: Try <Applied Finite Element Analysis>, 2nd. edition, by Larry J. Segerlind. This book has sample programs and discusses a variety of topics in applying the FEM to finding solutions. It is appropriate for those starting out in the field of FEM. Alternatively, <The Finite Element Method: Its Basis and Fundamentals> by Zienkiewicz is a more comprehensive treatment of the FEM. It is appropriate for those with some prior knowledge of the FEM. Another good book on the subject is <Finite Element Analysis and Its Applications> by L.A. Shearer and J.E. Sneyd. This book is more advanced
Sety
Hi guys, :smile:

I am a mechanical engineer, and want to learn finite element analysis.

I want to know what is the best book to start with.

Assume I have no prior knowledge of the subject. :redface:

Thanks,
Sety.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found "Applied Finite Element Analysis", 2nd. edition, by Larry J. Segerlind to be a very good text for explaining the basics of FEM to those starting to learn the method. This book has sample programs and discusses a variety of topics in applying the FEM to finding solutions.

This edition is about 30 years old, but if you do a careful web search with google or another search engine, you should be able to find an online version of the text.

There are several other, more recent texts written from the standpoint of developing FEM programs. Use Amazon to do an advanced search for these titles.

Take a look at "The Finite Element Method: Its Basis and Fundamentals" by Zienkiewicz. He made great contribution to FEM so he knew things he was talking about inside and out.

This is the first volume of three. I've used the first and the third volumes to understand one method (Petrov-Galerkin) and these books were very usefull. I haven't read a lot of literature on FEM before I've read these books so I think they are suitable for beginner.

Rather than spending a small fortune (and giving yourself a hernia) with the latest edition of Zienkiewicz's book, a 30 or 40 year old edition will cover the basics just as well, and be small enough to carry around without needing special fitness training. Over the years, it has become "supersized" (or less politely, obese).

If you want something free, see these course notes: http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/Home.html

If you want a gentler introduction, there are numerous books to choose from. This is as good as any: https://www.elsevier.com/books/the-finite-element-method-in-engineering/rao/978-1-85617-661-3

AlephZero said:
Rather than spending a small fortune (and giving yourself a hernia) with the latest edition of Zienkiewicz's book, a 30 or 40 year old edition will cover the basics just as well, and be small enough to carry around without needing special fitness training. Over the years, it has become "supersized" (or less politely, obese).

"Fat" books are better for beginner than "anorexic" ones because their authors don't try to cover everything they want to say on several pages. The whole first volume of Zienkiewicz dedicated to the basics of FEM. He explained the basics in detail. One can pass topics that he or she thinks too deep at first reading.

Cyril141795 said:
"Fat" books are better for beginner than "anorexic" ones because their authors don't try to cover everything they want to say on several pages.

It depends. Some people can say more (and say it more clearly) on one page than others can manage on a hundred.

I don't think OCZ's book was ever really intended to teach FE to beginners. The first edition was a reasonably concise summary of the state of FE for structural analysis, at the time it was written. The later editions tended to add summaries of everything that OCZ had come across as time went on - which was quite a lot, considering he was on the editorial board of one of the standard international journals, and with that position he didn't have much problem getting the rights to re-print material from papers published in the journal.

But since he died in 2009, I guess it's probably not going to get any thicker from now on.

It does have one useful attribute: if you want to make a reference in a paper to a something that is well known in the FE community, it's a safe bet to reference the OCZ book without bothering to check if your assertion is actually in the book. The reviewers probably won't bother to check either :devil:

Thank you guys. It's fantastic to get all sorts of opinions,...fat books,...slim books...:)

I usually tend to go with fatter books, because I like digging deep. But I have been proven wrong on certain occasions.

I will look into all your suggestions, and decide which one fits best to my needs.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Sety. :)

I am using <A First Course in Finite Element Method by D.L. Logan because I have the hardcopy.

After this I will go for <Finite Element Procedure> by Bathe which is thicker, 1000+ pg.

Sety said:
Hi guys, :smile:

I am a mechanical engineer, and want to learn finite element analysis.

I want to know what is the best book to start with.

Assume I have no prior knowledge of the subject. :redface:

Thanks,
Sety.

Sety, what exactly area of applications of the FEA are you interested in ? There are solid bodies, plates, shells, beams; there are static problems, problems of dynamic response of structures, calculation of natural frequencies, buckling, etc. - lots of different areas.
Depending on your potential area(s) of interest, you may need different books to read/study.

1. What is Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and why is it important?

Finite Element Analysis is a computer-based method for solving complex engineering problems by dividing a large problem into smaller, more manageable elements. It is important because it allows for more accurate and efficient analysis of structures and materials, leading to better designs and cost savings.

2. What are some key concepts that I should understand before starting to learn FEA?

Before starting to learn FEA, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics, especially linear algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of mechanics and structural analysis.

3. What are some recommended books for beginners to learn FEA?

Some highly recommended books for beginners to learn FEA are "Introduction to Finite Element Analysis Using SolidWorks Simulation" by Randy Shih, "Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Application with ANSYS" by Saeed Moaveni, and "A First Course in Finite Elements" by Jacob Fish and Ted Belytschko.

4. Is it necessary to have access to specialized software in order to learn FEA?

While having access to specialized software such as ANSYS or SolidWorks Simulation can be helpful, it is not necessary for learning FEA. Many textbooks and online resources provide step-by-step examples using freely available software like CalculiX or Code_Aster.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of FEA to real-world problems?

FEA has a wide range of applications in various fields such as aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and biomechanics. Once you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals, you can apply your knowledge to real-world problems by using FEA software to analyze and optimize designs, troubleshoot structural failures, and evaluate material properties.