Register to reply

Cross and dot product of two vectors in non-orthogonal coordinate

Share this thread:
anurag
Jul3-14, 11:23 AM
P: 5
Hi everyone,
I have to find out how to do cross and dot product for two vectors in non-orthogonal coordinate system.
thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
jk86
Jul3-14, 11:39 AM
P: 12
You could always use the [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=|\vec{u}|\ |\vec{v}|\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}=|\vec{u}|\ |\vec{v}|\sin\theta \ \hat{n}[/itex] definitions. In general the dot and cross product are independent of coordinate system.
anurag
Jul3-14, 01:34 PM
P: 5
Dear jk86,
I don't think so. Consider a non-orthogonal coordinate system like in which angle between any two axis in less than 90 degree. and two vector along x and y axis [1 0 0] & [0 1 0], then the normal cross product is [0 0 1] which is along z-direction but for this coordinate system, z is not perpendicular to x and y axis. and you know cross product of two vector should be perpendicular to both vector.

jk86
Jul3-14, 03:54 PM
P: 12
Cross and dot product of two vectors in non-orthogonal coordinate

Quote Quote by anurag View Post
Dear jk86,
I don't think so. Consider a non-orthogonal coordinate system like in which angle between any two axis in less than 90 degree. and two vector along x and y axis [1 0 0] & [0 1 0], then the normal cross product is [0 0 1] which is along z-direction but for this coordinate system, z is not perpendicular to x and y axis. and you know cross product of two vector should be perpendicular to both vector.
Ah, OK I'm sorry I should have read your post more carefully. If you are calculating the dot product of [itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}[/itex], you can expand each in terms of its contravariant components. As an example, define a coordinate system (u,v,w) via the Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) using some relations:
[tex]
\begin{align}
x &= u + v\\
y &= u - v\\
z &= 3uv + 2w
\end{align}
[/tex]
If the basis vectors for the non-orthogonal (u,v,w) coordinate system are [itex]\vec{e}_u,\vec{e}_v,\vec{e}_{w}[/itex] (and they are [itex]\hat{e}_x,\hat{e}_y,\hat{e}_z[/itex] for the Cartesian basis) then you can write a general vector [itex]\vec{r}=x\hat{e}_x + y\hat{e}_y+z\hat{e}_z=(u+v)\hat{e}_x + (u-v)\hat{e}_y + (3uv + 2w)\hat{e}_z[/itex]. You can then find the non-orthogonal basis vectors by:
[tex]
\begin{align}
\vec{e}_u &= \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial u} = \hat{e}_x + \hat{e}_y + 3v\hat{e}_z\\
\vec{e}_v &= \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial u} = \hat{e}_x - \hat{e}_y + 3u\hat{e}_z\\
\vec{e}_w &= \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial u} = 2\hat{e}_z
\end{align}
[/tex]
You can verify that the example is indeed non-orthogonal by computing dot products such as [itex]\vec{e}_u\cdot\vec{e}_w = (3v\hat{e}_z)\cdot(2\hat{e}_z)=6v[/itex]. To compute more general dot products, and make all this simpler, you should first find the metric tensor:
[tex]
g_{ij}\equiv \vec{e}_i\cdot\vec{e}_j = \begin{bmatrix}2+9v^2 & 9uv & 6v\\ 9uv & 2+9u^2 & 6u\\ 6v & 6u & 4\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
where i,j refer to [itex]u,v,w[/itex] basis indices. Then for some vectors [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex], you get [itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}=(\sum_i a^i\vec{e}_i)\cdot (\sum_j b^j\vec{e}_j)=\sum_{ij}g_{ij}a^ib^j[/itex]. You are then simply sticking a matrix [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] in between the vectors---a matrix which is diagonal in an orthogonal coordinate system. As for the cross product you should be able to do something similar using the orthonormal basis definition [itex][\vec{a}\times\vec{b}]_i = \epsilon_{ijk}\vec{a}^j\vec{b}^k[/itex]. I think it just becomes [itex][\vec{a}\times\vec{b}]_i = g^{ij}\epsilon_{jkl}a^{k}b^{l}[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon_{jkl}[/itex] is the Levi-Civita symbol.

Register to reply