A new nonlinear Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation is about a recent paper by Carlos Castro on a new nonlinear Schrodinger equation. The speaker has read the paper and has some questions and comments about it. They mention the surprise of the paper being dated for January 2006, mention the idea of fractal trajectories, and ask for clarification on certain points. They also mention the possibility of the paper extending to a non-flat universe. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for explanations and being directed to contact the author for further details.
Rade
Physics news on Phys.org
Rade said:
At this link:
http://www.geocities.com/ptep_online/PP-04-07.PDF
is a recent paper by Carlos Castro on a new nonlinear Schrodinger equation--for those that work in this area.
I have red your paper and, if you give me the permission, I shall give you now my sensations about it.
1) Firstly, I got a surprise with the datum: January 2006, because we are in November 2005;
2) It seems to be a new review of physics because it is volume 1 and there is no page. These two first points are acting on me like a warning signal: what is this? Where does it come from? Certainly a quantum experiment (smile), I mean a work coming from the future … (smile)
3) The idea of fractal trajectories is (at least in my mind) a great one because it could be an elegant way of reconciliation between a classical and a quantum point of view; and (personal remark) is in someway what I am personally working about when I speak from photons springing from a piece of geodesic to another one (etgb28.pdf); the only point was: I didn’t knew that I was dealing with fractal trajectories as Mister Jourdain in Molières work (French writer in the 1700…) didn’t knew that he was doing “prose” when he was writing and speaking.
4) I remark that the Schrödinger equation is obtained with a classical formulation of the Newton’s Law (which is avoiding a relativistic approach before any calculation has been done) if one considers the left part of equation (7) page 2, but with a special (due to Nottale) formulation of the acceleration if one observes the middle part of the same equation; so, it is not really the classical Newton’s Law but an extension of it including a “complex-time” derivative operator (page 2 relation3). Why not?
5) One point is not clear for me; does the introduction of a complex number D (instead of the use of a real one at the beginning of the article) allows an extension of the work of Nottale and all to non-flat universe?
6) One other point is not clear: is not the middle term page 6 in (40 on the left hand) and in (42; the integrand) equal to zero if the particle-wave following a geodesic (as required by GR in a 4D space)?
Thank you for explanations.

Blackforest said:
I have red your paper and, if you give me the permission, I shall give you now my sensations about it.
Firstly, I got a surprise with the datum: January 2006, because we are in November 2005;Thank you for explanations.
Yes, I should have also included this link to the journal table of contents. http://www.geocities.com/ptep_online/2006.html
This is an "online" journal, thus papers are submitted and approved ahead of time of final publish, not uncommon in this age of internet access to journals.
As to your detailed questions on the physics, I have no answers, you would need to contact the prime author, Dr. Castro--there is an email address on the paper.

1. What is a nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

A nonlinear Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a nonlinear system. It is an extension of the traditional Schrodinger equation, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum particles in linear systems.

2. Why is a new nonlinear Schrodinger equation needed?

The traditional Schrodinger equation is limited in its ability to accurately describe the behavior of quantum particles in nonlinear systems. A new nonlinear Schrodinger equation was developed to better capture the complex dynamics and interactions of particles in these systems.

3. How is the new nonlinear Schrodinger equation different from the traditional equation?

The new equation includes additional terms that account for the nonlinearity of the system. This allows for a more accurate representation of the particles' behavior and interactions in nonlinear systems.

4. What are the applications of the new nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

The new equation has applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, optics, and condensed matter physics. It can be used to study the behavior of particles in superfluids, Bose-Einstein condensates, and other nonlinear systems.

5. What are the challenges in solving the new nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

Solving the new equation can be computationally intensive and require advanced mathematical techniques. It also requires a deep understanding of the underlying physics of the system being studied. Additionally, there may not be exact analytical solutions for certain systems, so numerical methods must be used.