Solving Basic Physics Problem: Help with x=8.0m/s*5.0s+ .5*3.0m/s^2*(5.0s)^2

• Thread starter mrserv0n
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble with a physics test and is using an equation to find x. They are getting a different answer than the one provided and are questioning their algebra skills. They are told that they forgot to square the time when multiplying against acceleration.
mrserv0n
Hi I am studying for this first physics test and having trouble.

heres the equation I am using to find x and I am sure its right but i can't seem to get the answer they do

x=8.0m/s*5.0s +.5 * 3.0m/s^2 * (5.0s)^2 = 77.5

I am not getting the 77.5

8 *5 = 40

3.0 x 5.0 = 15

15 * .5 = 7.5

so 40 + 7.5 = 47.5

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the time being squared buy my algebra sucks.. can someone explain this solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation is [tex] x=\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_ot[/tex] you forgot to square the time when multiplying against acceleration

What is the question? what is the problem with things you have done? Pls be specific.

mrserv0n said:
Hi I am studying for this first physics test and having trouble.

heres the equation I am using to find x and I am sure its right but i can't seem to get the answer they do

I am not getting the 77.5

8 *5 = 40

3.0 x 5.0 = 15

15 * .5 = 7.5

so 40 + 7.5 = 47.5

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the time being squared buy my algebra sucks.. can someone explain this solution.

Yes, it is "the time being squared"- you didn't square! What is 52?

1. What is the equation being used in this problem?

The equation being used is "x = v*t + 1/2*a*t^2", which is the formula for calculating position (x) using initial velocity (v), time (t), and acceleration (a).

2. How do I solve for the position (x) in this problem?

To solve for x, you would plug in the given values for v, t, and a into the equation "x = v*t + 1/2*a*t^2" and solve for x using basic algebra.

3. What units should be used for each variable in the equation?

The units for v should be in meters per second (m/s), t should be in seconds (s), and a should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How do I know which values to plug in for v, t, and a?

The values for v and t will be given in the problem. The value for a is the acceleration, which can be determined from the given information or may be given in the problem.

5. What is the final unit for the position (x)?

The final unit for x will be in meters (m) since the units for v and t were in meters per second and seconds, respectively, and the unit for a is meters per second squared.