Polar coordinates from rectangle

In summary, the individual is struggling with converting equations from rectangular to polar coordinates and vice versa. They provided an example of x^2+y^2-2ax=0 and explained how it can be written as r=2a cos theta, which represents a graph of a rose curve. They also provided another example of (x^2+y^2)(arctan(y/x))^2=a^2 and showed how it can be simplified to r\theta=a. They express uncertainty in their understanding and ask for clarification. The expert responds by correcting the individual's work and providing an explanation.
Steel_City82
Heres where I am struggling, I can't seem to change equations from rectangular to polar and vice versa

an example

x^2+y^2-2ax=0

heres what I got when I tried
r=2a cos theta
and that's a graph of a rose curve, I think, I am about 10% sure on that answer

heres an example of one I have no clue on

(x^2+y^2)(arctan(y/x))^2=a^2

heres what I am thinkin on this one

the x^2+y^2 can = r^2 and the arctan (y/x) can = theta
so you would have (r^2)(theta^2)=a^2

I don't know, I just can't get this

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, are you having doubts about? It looks fine to me.

x^2+y^2-2ax=0
Okay, obviously [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex] and [itex]2ax= 2ar cos(\theta)[/itex] so the is [itex]r^2- 2ar cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] which you can write as [itex]r^2= 2ar cos(\theta)[/itex] and, as long as r is not 0, divide by r to get [itex]r= 2a cos(\theta)[/itex] as you have.

(x^2+y^2)(arctan(y/x))^2=a^2
Again [itex]r^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] and, essentially by definition, [itex]arctan(y/x)= \theta[/itex] so this is simply [itex]r2\theta^2= a^2[/itex] as you have.
Assuming everything is positive, you can reduce that to [itex]r\theta= a[/itex].

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points on a plane using a distance and angle from a fixed point, called the pole.

How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)

What is the difference between polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates is the way that points are represented. In polar coordinates, points are represented by a distance and angle from a fixed point, while in rectangular coordinates, points are represented by their horizontal and vertical positions on a grid.

What are some real-life applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in navigation and mapping, as well as in physics and engineering for representing forces and motion. They are also used in polar graphs and polar equations in mathematics.

What is the purpose of converting from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

Converting from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates can make it easier to solve certain mathematical problems, as well as provide a different perspective on the data or points being represented. It can also help in simplifying complex equations and visualizing patterns or relationships between points.