Estimating the total mass of the galaxy (using Kepler's Thid Law)

In summary, using Kepler's Third Law and the given information about the Sun's orbit around the black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy, we can estimate the total mass of the galaxy to be approximately 1.83 x 10^41 kg. This includes the mass of the black hole and all the matter within 26,000 light-years of the center of the galaxy. To convert this to solar masses, we can divide the mass by the mass of the Sun, giving us a total of over a billion solar masses.
Synchromesh
The typed question and attempt at it are below:

Question:

The Sun orbits the black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy. It takes approximately 225 million years for the sun to make one revolution, and the sun is approximately 26,000 light-years away. Using this information and Kepler's Third Law, estimate the total mass of the galaxy, which would include this black hole. Be sure to use kg, seconds, and meters. How many solar masses is this amount?

Here is a step by step of what I have done so far:

1. Converted light years to meters, and years to seconds:

225 years = 7.10030834 × 10^15 seconds
26,000 light-years = 2.45973739 × 10^20 meters

2. Isolated for M (mass) by plugging the calculated numbers, along with the constant G into Kepler's (third law) equation:

(T = period = 7.10030834 × 10^15 seconds)
(A = 2.45973739 × 10^20 meters)
(G = 6.67 x 10^-11)
(M = Trying to solve for)

(T^2)/(A^3) = (4*(π)^2) / (G*M)

M = (4*(π)^2*A^3) / (G*T^2)

M = (4*(π)^2*(2.5 x 10^20)^3) / (6.67x10^-11*(7.1 x 10 ^15)^2)

M = 1.83 x 10^41

*While talking with a friend he pointed out that I calculated the mass of the black hole not the galaxy. My question is now that I have the mass of the black hole how do I calculate the mass of the galaxy?

(I'm not sure how to determine how many solar masses the given amount is either...)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Synchromesh

edit: I spelled "third" wrong, sorry about that...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Synchromesh said:
The typed question and attempt at it are below:

Question:

The Sun orbits the black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy. It takes approximately 225 million years for the sun to make one revolution, and the sun is approximately 26,000 light-years away. Using this information and Kepler's Third Law, estimate the total mass of the galaxy, which would include this black hole. Be sure to use kg, seconds, and meters. How many solar masses is this ammount?

Here is a step by step of what I have done so far:

1. Converted light years to meters, and years to seconds:

225 years = 7.10030834 × 10^15 seconds
26,000 light-years = 2.45973739 × 10^20 meters

2. Isolated for M (mass) by plugging the calculated numbers, along with the constant G into Kepler's (third law) equation:

(T = period = 7.10030834 × 10^15 seconds)
(A = 2.45973739 × 10^20 meters)
(G = 6.67 x 10^-11)
(M = Trying to solve for)

(T^2)/(A^3) = (4*(π)^2) / (G*M)

M = (4*(π)^2*A^3) / (G*T^2)

M = (4*(π)^2*(2.5 x 10^20)^3) / (6.67x10^-11*(7.1 x 10 ^15)^2)

M = 1.83 x 10^41

*While talking with a friend he pointed out that I calculated the mass of the black hole not the galaxy. My question is now that I have the mass of the black hole how do I calculate the mass of the galaxy?

(I'm not sure how to determine how many solar masses the given amount is either...)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Synchromesh

I did not check your result but I assume that you have no question about it. The point is that the mass you obtained *is* the mass of the galaxy and black hole combined. Actually, to be more precise, it is only the mass of the part of the galaxy within a distance of 26 ooo light years; the mass outside of this distance does not enter the calculation (to really be exact, things are more tricky because the mass of the galaxy is not uniformly distributed but that's another story). So, to summarize, what you got is the sum of the black hole mass plus all the matter within 26 000 ly of the center of the galaxy. It is not possible using this method to separate the two, their combined mass enters the calculation.

Patrick

Thanks a lot Patrick, my Physics teacher was out sick today, but if it is impossible to calculate the rest of the mass of the Milky Way using Kepler's third law then I guess the answer that I got, assuming that it is right, is what my teacher was looking for.

I have one more question though, what would the units be on my final answer (kilograms?) and what is the question asking when it asks How many solar masses is this amount (is there a converstion i have to use to convert my answer into solar masses?)?

Last edited:
Synchromesh said:
Thanks a lot Patrick, my Physics teacher was out sick today, but if it is impossible to calculate the rest of the mass of the Milky Way using Kepler's third law then I guess the answer that I got, assuming that it is right, is what my teacher was looking for.
No problem.
Notice that the question asks
"estimate the total mass of the galaxy, which would include this black hole". Using that language, you found the total mass of the galxy (black hole included).

I have one more question though, what would the units be on my final answer (kilograms?) and what is the question asking when it asks How many solar masses is this ammount (is there a converstion i have to use to convert my answer into solar masses?)?

Sorry, I forgot to answer that. That's easy.
The answer you got is in kg. To give the mass in solar masses, just divide your answer by the mass of the Sun. Basically, giving the mass in solar masses means that one says "the mass of the galaxy is equivalent to the mass of that many Suns). You will get something over a billion solar masses.

Patrick

i believe the sun orbits around the Earth every 255 million years instead of just 255 years because the sun has only orbited the center of the galaxy 12 times i believe.

1. How is Kepler's Third Law used to estimate the total mass of the galaxy?

Kepler's Third Law states that the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the semi-major axis of its orbit. By measuring the orbital period and distance of stars or other objects within the galaxy, we can use this law to calculate the total mass of the galaxy.

2. What other factors are taken into account when estimating the total mass of the galaxy?

In addition to using Kepler's Third Law, scientists also consider the distribution of mass within the galaxy, the presence of dark matter, and the gravitational effects of other galaxies and objects in the universe.

3. Can the total mass of the galaxy be accurately estimated?

While calculations and measurements can give us a good estimate of the total mass of the galaxy, it is impossible to know the exact mass due to the vastness and complexity of the universe. However, with advancements in technology and new data, our estimates are becoming more accurate.

4. How does estimating the total mass of the galaxy contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By understanding the mass of our own galaxy, we can gain insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies in general. It also helps us understand the role of dark matter in the universe and how it affects the motion of stars and other objects within galaxies.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using Kepler's Third Law to estimate the total mass of the galaxy?

One limitation is that the law assumes that all objects in the galaxy are in a circular orbit, which is not always the case. Additionally, it only takes into account the mass within the visible portion of the galaxy, not accounting for dark matter or the gravitational influence of other galaxies. These factors can make the estimation process more complex and less accurate.