How Do You Calculate the Point-Force Location for Unevenly Distributed Loads?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting evenly distributed loads into point-forces and determining the value and distance of the point-force when dealing with unevenly distributed loads. The conversation also includes links to resources for finding the values of centroids for different shapes and clarifies the difference between the length of the arm and the x value of the centroid.
TSN79
In static problems, an evenly distributed load can be made into a point-force by multiplying the load by its length, and so this point-force will now act in the center of the distributed load. This is cool, but I can't find out how to do the same thing with loads that are unevenly distributed, those who are often shown as triangles, often with no force on one end and some force on the other.

This page gives me a formula for determining the value of this point-force, but it does not tell me at which distance from one of the ends it acts!

http://images.google.no/imgres?imgu...ributed+load&start=20&svnum=10&hl=no&lr=&sa=N

If anyone can help me out I'll appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a particular shape you're looking at for a distributed load? If you assume the x-axis is horizontal (like the page you linked to does), the x value of the centroid of the shape will give the x value of the point the total force acts on. There are bound to be loads of websites with the values of the centroids of different shapes.

Look at this page then:

http://physics.uwstout.edu/StatStr/statics/Stests/beams1/sol312.htm

If I am to find the torque the load exerts around point A, how would I know the length of the arm? I see in the example that it has been found to be 6.67 ft, but I don't get where that comes from...help!

Last edited by a moderator:
The length of the arm is definitely not 6.67 feet. The x value of the center of gravity of that distributed load is, however, 6.67 feet from the point A. For a right triangle, the center of gravity (centroid) is always 1/3 the base away from the upright side.

1. What is an unevenly distributed load?

An unevenly distributed load refers to a situation where the weight or force applied to an object is not evenly distributed across its surface. This can result in unequal stress and strain on different parts of the object, potentially leading to structural damage or failure.

2. How does an unevenly distributed load affect structures?

An unevenly distributed load can cause unequal stress and strain on different parts of a structure, which can weaken or damage the structure over time. It can also lead to a loss of stability and balance, making the structure more susceptible to collapse or failure.

3. What are some common causes of unevenly distributed loads?

Some common causes of unevenly distributed loads include improper weight distribution, shifting or moving of heavy objects, and changes in the distribution of forces due to external factors such as wind or earthquakes. Human error or negligence can also contribute to unevenly distributed loads.

4. How can engineers and architects account for unevenly distributed loads in their designs?

Engineers and architects can account for unevenly distributed loads by conducting thorough structural analysis and using appropriate load distribution techniques. This may include using stronger materials, reinforcing certain areas of the structure, or implementing load redistribution systems such as trusses or beams.

5. What are the potential consequences of ignoring unevenly distributed loads in a structure?

Ignoring unevenly distributed loads in a structure can lead to serious consequences such as structural failure, collapse, and potential injury or loss of life. It can also result in costly repairs and damage to property, as well as legal liabilities for the individuals or organizations responsible for the structure.