Working with NaF and KF

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
In summary, the person wrote that they would like to ask the expert if they have experience working with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under a fumecoboard and they do not have any protection for themselves. They also mention that they were a PhD student in G****** and people were paying attention to such things but now, in A******, they cannot believe that is allowed to work in such bad conditions. They also say that they have no motivation to work and that they feel very bad. The expert recommends using inconel as a container for the molten salts, platinum would survive but it is too expensive, alumina crucible would be a good option, and the dimensions
Oxygenne
Hi!
I would like to ask if you have some experience how is to work with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under fumecoboard.
I know that is toxic but I do not see at the moment how to protect myself since the lab is not well equipped
Thank you for your advice!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oxygenne said:
I would like to ask if you have some experience how is to work with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under fumecoboard.

1000C? Surely you are working in the molten state. And why are you doing such a thing? Working with any liquid salt is very dangerous especially without the proper equipment and container. What may I ask are you using as a container? It will eat through glass...

I agree with you.
When I was PhD student in G****** people were paying much attention to such things but now, in A****** I cannot believe that is allowed to work in such bad conditions in a such prestigious school.
Personally I have no motivation to work and I feel very bad.

what do you mean by container?

I was wondering what you or the lab planned to use for a container to hold the molten fluorides...the crucible.

Cesium said:
I was wondering what you or the lab planned to use for a container to hold the molten fluorides...the crucible.

I use inconel. But it was destroyed.

lol and I was going to suggest Monel or Hastelloy

platinum would survive

surely but it is too expensive .
the dimensions are quite large

i am thinking to use alumina

What is NaF and KF?

NaF (sodium fluoride) and KF (potassium fluoride) are both ionic compounds commonly used in laboratory settings. They are composed of positively charged sodium or potassium ions and negatively charged fluoride ions.

What are the properties of NaF and KF?

Both NaF and KF are white crystalline solids with high melting points. They are soluble in water and have a high ionic conductivity. They also have a strong affinity for bonding with other ions.

What are the common uses of NaF and KF in scientific research?

NaF and KF are often used as fluxing agents in metallurgy, as they help to lower the melting point of certain metals. They are also used in the production of various chemicals and inorganic salts. In biochemistry, NaF is commonly used as an inhibitor of enzymes that require divalent cations for their activity.

How do you handle and store NaF and KF?

Both NaF and KF are corrosive and can cause skin and eye irritation. They should be handled with gloves and goggles, and any spills should be immediately cleaned up with water. These compounds should also be stored in a cool, dry place away from any incompatible substances.

What are the safety precautions when working with NaF and KF?

In addition to wearing proper protective gear, it is important to avoid inhaling the dust of NaF and KF, as it can irritate the respiratory system. These compounds should also not be ingested. In case of any accidental exposure, seek medical attention immediately.