What do the symbols in Physics Formulas mean? Help needed!

• Thread starter TDS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the user is looking for a link or "cheat sheet" that explains the symbols used in Physics formulas, specifically in papers written by Prof. Hawking and Prof. Einstein. They have a basic understanding of some symbols but need help in understanding others. They are advised to look up the topic in Wikipedia or ask for help in understanding specific formulas. It is also mentioned that Einstein's original notation may differ from modern textbooks and that understanding his writings may require translating them into modern notation.
TDS
What I am looking for is a link or "cheat sheet" that will give me an explanation of the symbols that are used in Physics Formulas. I have a basic understanding of some of the symbols but there are some that I do not understand. I have read several of Prof. Hawking and Prof. Einsteins papers and I am wanting to get a better understanding of what I have read. Could I get some help in this matter?

Thanks to all that respond!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look up the topic in Wikipedia, you should get the commonly used symbols and what they stand for, ideally with links to the pages that describe/explain each term in more detail.

Alternatively, you could ask here for explanation of a particular formula/relation. Additionally, in the papers that you read, they should comment on non-standard symbols, or at least refer to the more introductory papers on the topic, which would probably describe the symbols used. And finally, if you look inside the front cover/in an appendix of many physics textbooks, you will find what you are looking for.

Also, if you're reading Einstein's original papers on relativity from 1905 etc., you should be aware that his notation is sometimes different from what modern textbooks use.

Ugh...I am soo not a fan of Einstein's notation. Granted, it is nice and compact, but what a pain it was to get used to.

@masudr - Thanks for your guidance! I shall put it to use.

@jtbell - Here I am trying to understand what Einstein is saying only to find out that once I understand his writings I will have to translate them into modern notations.:cry: Are Prof. Hawking's and Dr. K.S. Thorne's notations the same?:rofl:

What is the purpose of symbols in scientific explanations?

Symbols are used in scientific explanations to represent complex ideas or concepts in a concise and standardized way. They allow scientists to communicate information efficiently and universally.

How are symbols chosen for use in scientific explanations?

Symbols are often chosen based on their relevance to the concept being represented, their simplicity, and their level of understanding among the scientific community. They may also be selected to avoid confusion with other symbols or to align with established conventions.

What is the difference between symbols and abbreviations in scientific explanations?

While both symbols and abbreviations are used to represent information in a shortened form, symbols are typically used to convey specific scientific concepts or units of measurement, while abbreviations are used to shorten words or phrases for convenience.

How do symbols contribute to the clarity and accuracy of scientific explanations?

Symbols play a crucial role in maintaining the precision and consistency of scientific explanations. They eliminate the potential for ambiguity or misinterpretation that may arise when using words, allowing for more accurate and reliable communication of scientific information.

Can symbols be used universally in all scientific fields?

While some symbols may have a universal meaning across different scientific fields, others may be specific to a certain discipline. It is important for scientists to clearly define and explain the symbols they use in their explanations to ensure understanding among their peers.