Family of orthogonal trajectories for a vertical parabola

In summary, the procedure for finding the family of orthogonal trajectories includes determining the differential equation for the given family, replacing y' in the equation, and finding the general solution. Additionally, when completing the square, it may be simpler to integrate the equation in a different way.
DaConfusion
1. Homework Statement . The correct answer is E
q2q11q.jpg
2. Homework Equations :Procedure from our text:

"Step 1. Determine the differential equation for the given family F(x, y,C) = 0.
Step 2. Replace y' in that equation by −1/y'; the resulting equation is the differential equation
for the family of orthogonal trajectories.
Step 3. Find the general solution of the new differential equation. This is the family of orthogonal
trajectories."

The Attempt at a Solution

q2p11.jpg
I can't get the answer to be in the correct format. Please help!
Thank you all for looking/helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start by reversing x and y in you original equation: if a parabola has vertical axis and vertex at (3, 6) then it is of the form
y= C(x-3)2+ 6. Also, looking at the way the possible solutions are given, I would NOT multiply out the squares.

Oh...that vertical was confusing me like crazy! I kept thinking the axis is parallel to the asymptote not orthogonal. Thanks.

q2p211.JPG

I still do not see it. Has to be some simple mistake...

attachment.php?attachmentid=9180&d=1171637273.jpg

At one point, you have
[tex]2(y-6)= y'(x+3)[/tex]
(You have, accidently, "-" instead of "=")
but the next line is
[tex]\frac{2(y-6)}{x-3}= y'[/tex]
where it obviously should be "x+3" instead of "x-3".

Your final result is
[tex]\frac{x^2}{2}+3x+ y^2- 12y= C[/tex]
(Notice that I have changed your "-3x" to "+3x")
Complete the square:
that's the same as
[tex]x^2+ 6x+ 2(y^2- 12y) = 2C[/tex]
[tex]x^2+ 6x+ 9+ 2(y^2- 12y+ 36)= 2C+ 9+ 72[/tex]
[tex]= (x+ 3)^2+ 2(y- 6)^2= 2C+9+72= C'[/tex]
which is one of your options.

By the way, it would be simpler to integrate
[tex]2\int (y-6)dy+ \int (x+3)dx= 0[/tex]
as
[tex](y-6)^2+ \frac{1}{2}(x+3)^2= C[/itex]
This differs from your integral only by the constant C.

perfect!

Thanks for the help I can see it now.

1. What is a family of orthogonal trajectories for a vertical parabola?

A family of orthogonal trajectories for a vertical parabola is a set of curves that intersect the given parabola at right angles. These curves are perpendicular to the tangent line of the parabola at the point of intersection.

2. How do you find the family of orthogonal trajectories for a vertical parabola?

To find the family of orthogonal trajectories, we use the fact that the product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines is -1. We can set up a differential equation using this property and solve for the family of curves.

3. What is the relationship between the family of orthogonal trajectories and the original parabola?

The family of orthogonal trajectories and the original parabola are related through the property of perpendicularity. The curves in the family intersect the parabola at right angles, creating a set of orthogonal lines.

4. Can a vertical parabola have multiple families of orthogonal trajectories?

Yes, a vertical parabola can have multiple families of orthogonal trajectories. Each family will have a different set of curves that intersect the parabola at right angles.

5. How are the families of orthogonal trajectories affected by changes in the equation of the vertical parabola?

Changes in the equation of the vertical parabola, such as changes in the coefficient or constants, will result in different families of orthogonal trajectories. The properties of perpendicularity and intersecting at right angles will still hold, but the specific curves in the family will vary.