Electric field of a uniformly distributed rod

It would be easier if you put the constants together, but I'm not going to do that.Basically, you have to evaluate the integrals. This is a simple calculus problem, so you can do it.In summary, the question asks for the electric field at point (x,0) where x is positive, given a rod with -Q charge on the x-axis for x>-a and +Q charge for x<a. Using the equation E=KQ/r^2, the solution involves finding the 2nd Taylor expansion term of [1/x^2 - 1/(x-a)^2] for x>>a.
tongpu

Homework Statement

rod -a-------|---------a on x-axis, for x>-a has -Q charge, for X<a has +Q charge, find the electric field at point (x,0) x is positive

Homework Equations

lambda = Q/a linear charge density dQ = (lambda)(ds)
E=KQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i make dE=kdQ/(x-s)^2
integrate kdQ/(x-s)^2 between -a and a ( i can make it 0 to a and multiply by two, symmetry)
i get the result 2KQ/a[1/x^2 - 1/(x-a)^2] for E sub-x

now if i want to find x>>a i need o somehow change [1/x^2 - 1/(x-a)^2] to the 2nd taylor expansion term but how? And is my integration correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest checking the assumption about symmetry.

I don't understand how you multiplied by 2... you have the integral:

[tex]\int_{-a}^{0}\frac{k\sigma ds}{(x-s)^2} + \int_{0}^{a}\frac{-k\sigma ds}{(x-s)^2}[/tex]

where sigma is Q/a

1. What is the definition of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its surroundings.

2. How is the electric field of a uniformly distributed rod calculated?

The electric field of a uniformly distributed rod can be calculated by using the formula E = kλx / (x^2 + L^2)^3/2, where k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density of the rod, x is the distance from the center of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of a uniformly distributed rod?

The electric field of a uniformly distributed rod points radially away from the rod on either side, and points towards the rod at its ends.

4. How does the electric field of a uniformly distributed rod change with distance?

The electric field of a uniformly distributed rod decreases with distance, following an inverse square law. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the rod and weaker further away from it.

5. What is the significance of a uniformly distributed rod in understanding electric fields?

A uniformly distributed rod is often used as a simplified model to understand the behavior of electric fields. It helps to visualize and calculate the electric field in a specific scenario and can be applied to more complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, uniformly distributed components.