Structural mechanics-force diagram,shear stress,elastic curve

In summary, the conversation discusses four questions related to statics and structural analysis. The first question involves finding the reactions Ax, Ay, Dx, and Dy using four equations. The second question is about calculating shear force, the meaning of G=80kN/mm^2, and the Bredt-Batho theory. The fourth question is about neglecting the first load from the left and establishing the moment equation for each section to find the equation of elastic curve. The expert summarizer notes that in 2D frames, there are only 3 equations of statics that can be used to solve for external reactions and the 4th equation listed is redundant, so internal factors must be considered.
wkh023002
There are totally 4 questions .i struggled for a whole day and i still cannot solve it.Please help me!
For Question 1:
My problem is that i cannot find out the reaction Ax,Ay,Dx,Dy though i establish 4 eqt:
1:Ax+Dx=90 kN
2:Ay+Dy=90 kN
3:summation Ma=0 ,anticlockwise positve
-125+2Dx+5Dy=0
4:summation Md=0 ,anticlockwise +ve
505-2Ax-5Ay=0

For Question 2:
i don't know what is the meaning of G=80kN/mm^2 and how to calculate the shear force?
also, what is Bredt-Batho theory? My professor haven't mentioned it so far.

For Question 4:
The first load from left P=WL/5 is outside the Y-axis, does it mean that i can neglect it?
to find the equation of elastic curve, do i need to establish the Moment equation for each section?

Attachments

• 2955711425.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, in 2 dimensional frames, there are only 3 equations of statics external to the system that you can use in solving for external reactions...sum of Fx=0, sum of Fy=0, and sum of moments about any point = 0. The 4th equation you list is redundant. Since there are 4 unknowns, you must look at what is going on internal to the system to get your 4th equation. What do you know about the moment at the hinged joint C?

Last edited:

For Question 1:
It seems like you have established the correct equations for finding the reaction forces Ax, Ay, Dx, and Dy. However, there may be a mistake in your calculations as the equations should give you the values for these reaction forces. Make sure to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

For Question 2:
G=80kN/mm^2 refers to the shear modulus of the material, which is a measure of the material's resistance to shear stress. To calculate shear force, you will need to use the equation Q = V x A, where Q is the shear force, V is the shear stress, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

Bredt-Batho theory is a theory used in structural mechanics to analyze the behavior of beams under bending. It takes into account the shear and axial stress distribution in addition to the bending stresses.

For Question 4:
No, you cannot neglect the first load from the left (P=WL/5). It will still contribute to the overall bending and deflection of the beam. To find the equation of the elastic curve, you will need to use the moment equation for each section of the beam, taking into account the contribution of each load.

1. What is a force diagram in structural mechanics?

A force diagram in structural mechanics is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a structure. It shows the magnitude and direction of all the forces acting on each individual component of the structure, allowing engineers to analyze and predict how the structure will behave under different loads.

2. What is shear stress in structural mechanics?

Shear stress in structural mechanics is the stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other, but in opposite directions, causing the material to deform or shear. This type of stress is commonly seen in beams and other load-bearing structures and is an important consideration in structural design to ensure the stability and safety of the structure.

3. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to an area of the material that is perpendicular to the direction of the force. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

4. What is an elastic curve in structural mechanics?

An elastic curve in structural mechanics is a graphical representation of the deflection of a structure under a given load. It shows how the structure bends or deforms at different points along its length, and is used to determine the maximum stress and strain that the structure can withstand before failure.

5. How is an elastic curve calculated?

An elastic curve is calculated by using equations and principles of structural mechanics, such as Hooke's Law, to determine the deflection of a structure under a given load. Advanced mathematical models and computer simulations are often used to accurately calculate and analyze the elastic curve of complex structures.