Error in book? Please confirm.

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Error
In summary, the car traveling at 64mph will pass the train traveling at 52mph at 6:20, 65 minutes after the train crosses the river.
Holocene
A highway and a train track run parallel to each other. At 5:00 a train crosses a river. Fifteen minutes later, a car, traveling in the same dirrection, crosses the river. The train's average speed is 52mph, the car's is 64mph. When will the car pass the train?

15 minutes = 1/4hour, so train traveling 52mph is 13 miles away from the car over the river.

64 - 52 = The vehicles are converging at a rate of 12mph.

From D = RT, T = D/R. So,

T = 13/12

13/12 = 1 and 1/12th of an hour, or 65 minutes.

The car should pass the train in 01:05, or at 6:05.

This answer is not listed among the choices.

WTF?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
5:15 + 65 mins. = 6:20...

and also, i can't help myself, maybe you would've gotten 6:20 with a graphing calculator :)

jk. although i do love my ti83

matticus said:
5:15 + 65 mins. = 6:20...

wow, what a dumb error on my part.

Thanks.

matticus said:
and also, i can't help myself, maybe you would've gotten 6:20 with a graphing calculator :)

jk. although i do love my ti83

haha, thanks.

1. What is considered an "error" in a book?

An error in a book can refer to a variety of issues, such as typos, grammatical mistakes, factual inaccuracies, or formatting errors. It can also include any information that is misleading or incorrect.

2. How common are errors in books?

Errors in books are not uncommon, as they can occur during the writing, editing, or publishing process. However, the frequency of errors can vary greatly depending on the quality control measures in place and the expertise of those involved in the book's creation.

3. Who is responsible for correcting errors in a book?

The responsibility for correcting errors in a book ultimately falls on the author and the publisher. However, editors, proofreaders, and fact-checkers also play a crucial role in identifying and correcting errors before the book is published.

4. How can errors in a book be fixed?

Errors in a book can be fixed by issuing a new edition or printing with the corrections, or by releasing a separate errata sheet that lists the errors and provides the correct information. In some cases, digital versions of the book can be updated to fix errors.

5. What should I do if I find an error in a book?

If you come across an error in a book, you can contact the publisher or author to inform them of the mistake. They may be able to correct it in future editions or provide a solution for those who have already purchased the book. You can also leave a review or comment to alert other readers of the error.