What causes physical attraction between human beings

In summary, physical attraction between human beings can be influenced by both genetics and environmental factors. Our genes may play a role in our perception of beauty, as the "Divine Ratio" or Golden Ratio is hard-wired into our genes. Pheromones may also play a part in our attraction to others, as they can affect blood flow in certain areas of the brain. However, individual experiences and upbringing can also shape our preferences and tendencies when it comes to physical attraction.
devil5_advocate
What causes physical attraction between human beings, as a general animals? Like why I'd consider someone attractive while my friend thinks her average... Is it to do with the DNA?

A penny for your thoughts people..

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Originally posted by devil5_advocate
Is it to do with the DNA?

Some would reply "isn't everything?" (nature)
Others would say it's our upbringing & experiences (nurture).
I suspect the tendencies in our lives are a combination of nature and nurture.

Whatever the chemistry is, I like it.

Originally posted by devil5_advocate
What causes physical attraction between human beings, as a general animals? Like why I'd consider someone attractive while my friend thinks her average... Is it to do with the DNA?

A penny for your thoughts people..

In part, pheromones:
How we sniff out a mate

More...

Last edited:
This is more of an "Other Science" topic so I'll be moving it over there. :smile:

An appreciation of 1.618, the "Divine Ratio" or Golden Ratio" is apparently hard-wired into our genes. Do a little search and you'll likely find some interesting stuff as it relates to our perceptions of beauty. Happy reading.

Amos Behavin

"The estrogen compound caused the men to experience increased blood flow to the hypothalamus, the region of the brain rodents use for pheromone detection, but had no effect on the women. The testosterone-related compound, meanwhile, caused heightened blood flow in the women, but not the men. "

I wonder how non-exclusive-heterosexuals would repond to phermones of the opposite sex (and same, for that matter).

1. What are the biological factors that contribute to physical attraction?

Physical attraction is a complex phenomenon that involves both biological and psychological factors. Some of the biological factors that contribute to physical attraction include hormones, genes, and physical features. For example, hormones such as testosterone and estrogen play a role in determining our level of physical attraction, while genes can influence our physical features, such as facial symmetry, which is often seen as attractive.

2. Is there a specific type of person that we are naturally attracted to?

While each individual may have their own unique preferences, research has shown that there are certain universal traits that are considered attractive, such as symmetry, health, and youthfulness. These characteristics are believed to be linked to reproductive success and survival, making them naturally attractive to humans.

3. Can cultural and societal norms influence our perception of physical attraction?

Yes, cultural and societal norms can play a significant role in our perception of physical attraction. Different cultures may have different beauty standards and ideals, which can shape our preferences and perceptions of attractiveness. Additionally, societal norms and media portrayals can also influence our perception of physical attractiveness.

4. Can psychological factors affect physical attraction?

Yes, psychological factors can also play a role in physical attraction. For example, factors such as personality, self-esteem, and interpersonal dynamics can influence our level of attraction to someone. Additionally, our past experiences and emotional state can also impact our perception of physical attractiveness.

5. Is physical attraction the same for everyone?

No, physical attraction is not the same for everyone. While there may be certain universal traits that are considered attractive, each individual may have their own unique preferences and perceptions of physical attractiveness. What one person finds attractive may not be the same for another person, as attraction is subjective and influenced by a variety of factors.