Linear Algebra Proof: Proving A=A(t), B=constant

In summary, the homework statement is that the product rule applies to the RHS of the equation. The attempt at a solution is to use product rule to get the second term to be 0. However, the RHS time derivative should not be there and the solution is not correct.
cscott

Homework Statement

A = A(t), B = constant

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left[A \cdot (\dot{A} \times B) \right] = \frac{d}{dt} \left[A \cdot (\ddot{A} \times B) \right] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In Einstein notation I get

[tex]LHS = \frac{d}{dt} \left [ A_i (\dot{A} \times B)_i \right] = \frac{d}{dt} \left [ \epsilon_{ilm} A_i \dot{A}_l B_m \right] = \epsilon_{ilm} B_m \frac{d}{dt} \left [A_i \dot{A}_l \right] [/tex]

Is this right so far? Product rule on A and A-dot from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have an extra d/dt on the right side of what you are trying to prove. But yes, now product rule. Then what?

I think I got it:

After using product rule I get

[tex]A \cdot ( \ddot{A} \times B) + \dot{A} \cdot ( \dot{A} \times B)[/tex]

Where the second term would be 0

So the second term must expand as (A . A) x ( A . B) ?

Dick said:
I think you have an extra d/dt on the right side of what you are trying to prove. But yes, now product rule. Then what?

Yeah the RHS time derivative shouldn't be there.

cscott said:
I think I got it:

After using product rule I get

[tex]A \cdot ( \ddot{A} \times B) + \dot{A} \cdot ( \dot{A} \times B)[/tex]

Where the second term would be 0

So the second term must expand as (A . A) x ( A . B) ?

Yes, but you don't expand it like that A.A and A.B are scalars. How can you cross them? In terms of vectors axb is perpendicular to a and b. In terms of your tensor expansion the product of the two A dots is symmetric, the corresponding indices of the epsilon tensor are antisymmetric. So?

Ah. This way just seemed quicker but I see where it makes no sense.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a mathematical argument that uses principles and properties of linear algebra to show that a statement or equation is true. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to demonstrate the validity of a given statement.

2. Why is it important to prove A=A(t) and B=constant in linear algebra?

Proving A=A(t) and B=constant is important in linear algebra because it allows us to show that certain properties or relationships between variables are true. This is essential for building a solid foundation in linear algebra and understanding more complex concepts in the field.

3. How can I approach proving A=A(t) and B=constant in a linear algebra proof?

When proving A=A(t) and B=constant, it is important to start by clearly stating what you want to prove and what assumptions or given information you are working with. Then, you can use the properties of matrices and vectors, along with logical deductions, to show that the equations are equal and constant, respectively.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving A=A(t) and B=constant in linear algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving A=A(t) and B=constant include assuming that properties which hold for real numbers also hold for matrices or vectors, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and not clearly defining the assumptions and given information in the proof.

5. Are there any resources that can help me improve my skills in proving linear algebra statements?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve your skills in proving linear algebra statements. These include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, practice problems, and working with a tutor or study group. It is also helpful to regularly practice and review proofs to build confidence and familiarity with the techniques used in linear algebra proofs.