Finding Combinatorial Solutions for 3 Subsets of [n]

• Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, there are nChoose|C| ways to choose three subsets of [n], nChoose|B| ways to make the set of B, and nChoose|A| ways to make the set of A.
SticksandStones
The question: How many ways are there to choose three subsets, A, B, and C of [n] that satisfy A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B[tex]\subseteq[/tex]C?

My attempt:

Since C is the primary subset of [n] (the set upon which A and B are built) then the maximum number of ways to choose that set is based upon both n and |C| so it would be n Choose |C|. As B is a subset of C, the number of ways to make that set would be |C| Choose |B|. The same with A, with the number of ways A can exist being |B| Choose |A|. Thus the total number of ways that these three subsets can be created is n Choose |C| + |C| Choose |B| + |B| Choose |A|.

Am I right on this line of thinking or do I fail terribly at this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
SticksandStones said:
The question: How many ways are there to choose three subsets, A, B, and C of [n] that satisfy A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B[tex]\subseteq[/tex]C?

My attempt:

Since C is the primary subset of [n] (the set upon which A and B are built) then the maximum number of ways to choose that set is based upon both n and |C| so it would be n Choose |C|. As B is a subset of C, the number of ways to make that set would be |C| Choose |B|. The same with A, with the number of ways A can exist being |B| Choose |A|. Thus the total number of ways that these three subsets can be created is n Choose |C| + |C| Choose |B| + |B| Choose |A|.

Am I right on this line of thinking or do I fail terribly at this subject?

Hi SticksandStones! :smile:

A good answer if |A| |B| and |C| are fixed (and I'm assuming you meant to type x not + :wink:) …

but if they can be anything ≤ n, then they're all unknowns, so how can you calculate them? :confused:

So … a good line of thinking … but not for this question!

Try again! :smile:

Hi,
Through some brute force I have found that:
Number of possibilities for C = Sum from k=1 to n of n Choose k
Number of possibilities for B = Sum from a = 1 to n of the Sum from k=1 to a of n Choose a times a Choose k.

But, I still can't figure out then what the number of possibilities for A would be. Following the same line of think that I was using to find C and B, for n = 3 I found that the number of possibilities would be 12 * 1 Choose 1 + 6 * 2 Choose 1 + 6 * 2 Choose 2 + 3 Choose 1 + 3 Choose 2 + 3 Choose 3. I must be missing something really simple because this looks like it should collapse nicely but I can't think of anyway to make it more generic to fit any number n.

recurrence relation?

hmm … :rolleyes:

how about a recurrence relation (a sort-of proof by induction) …

if you know Pn, then what is Pn+1? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … :rolleyes:

how about a recurrence relation (a sort-of proof by induction) …

if you know Pn, then what is Pn+1? :smile:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Can you re-word it?

SticksandStones said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Can you re-word it?

Yup … suppose you know the answer for n = 7 is 4661.

Now count all the ways for n = 8.

If you start with |C| = 8 (so C = the whole of [8]), then you have a relatively easy problem.

And for all the other cases, you can use the 4661 figure to hlep you.

With luck, that wiil be easy enough to give you a general technique for getting not just from P7 = 4661 to P8, but from any Pn to Pn+1.

And then you just use that equation over and over again to get from P1 to any Pn. :smile:

1. How do you define "combinatorial solutions" for 3 subsets of [n]?

Combinatorial solutions refer to different ways of arranging or selecting elements from a given set. In this context, we are looking for the number of ways to divide a set of n elements into 3 distinct subsets.

2. What is the significance of finding combinatorial solutions for 3 subsets of [n]?

Combinatorial solutions have many practical applications, such as in probability, statistics, and computer science. In this specific problem, finding solutions for 3 subsets of [n] can help us understand and analyze the relationships between different subsets of a larger set.

3. What are the possible values for n in this problem?

The value of n can be any positive integer, as long as there are at least 3 elements in the set. The problem can also be extended to include negative numbers or non-integer values, depending on the context.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for finding combinatorial solutions for 3 subsets of [n]?

Yes, there are various methods and formulas for finding combinatorial solutions, such as the binomial coefficient formula or the inclusion-exclusion principle. The choice of method will depend on the specific problem and the desired outcomes.

5. How can finding combinatorial solutions for 3 subsets of [n] be applied in real-world scenarios?

Combinatorial solutions have many real-world applications, such as in genetics, economics, and computer algorithms. For example, in genetics, combinatorial solutions can help in understanding the possible combinations of genes in an individual. In economics, it can help in analyzing different ways to allocate resources. In computer algorithms, it can help in optimizing search and sorting algorithms.