Lewis dot, electronic and molecular geometry

In summary, for a) NO2Cl, the Lewis structure has an uneven distribution of valence electrons between N, O, and Cl, giving it a trigonal planar electronic geometry and a polar nature. The molecular geometry is not specified.For b) SOCl2, the Lewis structure has a double bond between O and S, giving it a trigonal pyramidal molecular geometry and a non polar nature. The electronic geometry is not specified.
sami23
Draw the lewis dot, identify the electronic and molecular geometry and determine the polarity of a) NO2Cl and b) SOCl2

a) N has 6 valence electrons
O has 6(2) = 12 valence electrons
Cl has 7 valence electrons
Total : 25

For the Lewis Structure: (* is for space)

O-N-O
**|
**Cl
I distributed 6 dots around the 2 O's and Cl but N has one valence electron on top and it is unevenly distributed.

I think the electronic geometry is trigonal planar and it's polar.
I'm not sure about the molecular geometry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
b) S has 6 valence electrons
O has 6 valence electrons
Cl has 7(2) = 14 valence electrons
Total: 26

**O
**||
Cl-S-Cl
I distributed 6 valence electrons around the 2 Cl and 4 dots around O making a double bond between O and S.

I think the molecular geometry is trigonal pyramidal and it's non polar.
I'm not sure about the electronic geometry.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
sami23 said:
Draw the lewis dot, identify the electronic and molecular geometry and determine the polarity of a) NO2Cl and b) SOCl2

a) N has 6 valence electrons
O has 6(2) = 12 valence electrons
Cl has 7 valence electrons
Total : 25

O-N-O
**|
**Cl
I distributed 6 dots around the 2 O's and Cl but N has one valence electron on top and it is unevenly distributed.

I think the electronic geometry is trigonal planar and it's polar.
I'm not sure about the molecular geometry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
b) S has 6 valence electrons
O has 6 valence electrons
Cl has 7(2) = 14 valence electrons
Total: 26

**O
**||
Cl-S-Cl
I distributed 6 valence electrons around the 2 Cl and 4 dots around O making a double bond between O and S.

I think the molecular geometry is trigonal pyramidal and it's non polar.
I'm not sure about the electronic geometry.

Please help.

Well how is the electronic geometry determined?

it is important to provide accurate and evidence-based responses. Based on the information provided, here are my responses:

a) Lewis dot structure: The Lewis dot structure for NO2Cl is correct, with a total of 25 valence electrons.
Electronic geometry: The electronic geometry for NO2Cl is trigonal planar, as the central nitrogen atom has three electron groups (two single bonds and one lone pair).
Molecular geometry: The molecular geometry for NO2Cl is bent or angular, as the molecule has a lone pair on the central atom.
Polarity: NO2Cl is polar, as the molecule has a lone pair on the central atom and the bonds are not evenly distributed.

b) Lewis dot structure: The Lewis dot structure for SOCl2 is not correct. The correct structure should have a double bond between S and O, and single bonds between S and Cl.
Electronic geometry: The electronic geometry for SOCl2 is trigonal planar, as the central sulfur atom has three electron groups (two single bonds and one lone pair).
Molecular geometry: The molecular geometry for SOCl2 is bent or angular, as the molecule has a lone pair on the central atom.
Polarity: SOCl2 is polar, as the molecule has a lone pair on the central atom and the bonds are not evenly distributed.

1. What is the Lewis dot structure?

The Lewis dot structure is a representation of the valence electrons in an atom or molecule. It shows the arrangement of these electrons as dots around the symbol of the element.

2. How is the Lewis dot structure used to determine electronic geometry?

The Lewis dot structure can be used to determine the number of electron groups around the central atom, which corresponds to the electronic geometry. The shape of the molecule is determined by the positions of these electron groups.

3. What is molecular geometry?

Molecular geometry is the three-dimensional arrangement of atoms in a molecule. It takes into account the positions of both the atoms and the lone pairs of electrons around the central atom.

4. How is molecular geometry related to the Lewis dot structure?

Molecular geometry is determined by the number of electron groups around the central atom, which is determined by the Lewis dot structure. The positions of these electron groups and the atoms in the molecule determine the shape of the molecule.

5. Can the Lewis dot structure and molecular geometry be different?

Yes, the Lewis dot structure and molecular geometry can be different. This is because the Lewis dot structure only shows the arrangement of the valence electrons, while molecular geometry takes into account the positions of all the atoms and lone pairs of electrons in the molecule.